Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome come back from 1-yr maint full of dust bunnies????? >

Janome come back from 1-yr maint full of dust bunnies?????

Janome come back from 1-yr maint full of dust bunnies?????

Old 02-27-2012, 07:05 AM

I finally got my owners manual out and went step by step and took my machine apart and clean and oil it. Works just great . If I have a problem with the stitch etc. that I can't fix , then I take it in.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:12 AM

It does not matter if they had a charity functions for the service, it was still an authorized yearly service on your machine. I don't care, they should do their best no matter what the promotion was. They still represent the company. A shoty job is still a shoty job.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:35 AM

Say what she will about " it must have been put back".......if it was ignored, who had presence of mind to plug it in and stitch a few stitches on a piece of fabric? That was done to make you think it was checekd out. It would be a cold day in July before I would take my machine back to this shop. Maybe we should all do what the fisherman's wife did. Hubby was going on a fishing trip, so she put his tooth brush and toothpaste in his tackle box. When he got home, he said he had to go out and buy the toothpaste and tooth brush, why didn't she pack them? Ha! Mabe we should put a littl piece of yarn in the bottom of our machine to see if it gets vacuumed out....or at least check our dust bunnies out before it goes to the shop.
Originally Posted by SueSew View Post
Pricing sure varies - this was a free-one-year maintenance due to charity promotion - maint in exchange for 15 cans of food for the homeless. Normally it is $60, but I have seen $69. This is in the Boston suburbs. I have a 3160QDC not a 6600. It costs more to work on a Mercedes!
I talked with the owner this AM and she said it must have been given back by mistake before the tech serviced the machine as there were a bunch of same machines in for service. She said if I bring it back she will do it herself, right away! Can't ask for more than that!

So, it pays to look under the hood when they do the oil change!
Old 02-27-2012, 07:48 AM

I had a similar problem with my Janome service. It was there for 2 weeks. When I picked it up from my LQS I took it home and began to sew and had the same problem. I called the shop to complain and she asked if there was a piece of fabric under the needle with stitches. I said there was so she declaired it had been serviced and fixed. I ended up taking it to another older gentleman with tons of experience and he said it had not even been touched. Needless to say the LQS has lost my business
Old 02-27-2012, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by countryheart View Post
I just got a price on yearly maintanace. $150....in MA
I've paid about $125-129 at a couple of places for machine maintenance. Are you near Canton, MA? There's a store there, Ann's Fabrics where I took a machine maintenance class. It was specifically for my machine and extremely helpful. I'm hoping to do the maintenance myself and maybe take it to them once in a while. I haven't cleaned the machine yet and I'm hoping I can still understand my notes as I took the class a while ago.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by SueSew View Post
It is a happy ending - I'm going to take it back for the owner to finish the work herself. Can't ask more than that! I was a little nervous at first, figuring that I was getting a 'free' service in return for a donation of canned goods for the homeless.

I was interested to read the various experiences people have had. I suggest you all check to see that the work was done, as mistakes can happen.

If I had a mechanical machine I think I would not be afraid to unscrew it and give it a try, but the electronic part worries me too much.

Thanks for the encouragement - good luck with your maintenance/repairs!

Glad to hear it's going to be a happy ending.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:51 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I know they take the bottom off of the machine (don't try this yourself) and that's where they find lots of dust. So, just cleaning it yourself won't be the same as taking it to a dealer.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:57 AM
Power Poster

I had this happen at about the only sewing machine repair shop around this area. Gave me a list of stuff that was done. Both machines were still dirty in the bobbin area and had oil dripping onto the foot.
I get so tired of lazy people, all they want is your money, no pride in their work at all.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:02 AM

If there were a couple of the same machine - are you sure you got your machine back.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:39 AM

My Janome dealer guarantees their cleaning for 180 days, if I'm not happy with how my machine works, "Just bring it back and we'll take care of it" is their motto. Most shops do not have in-house repairs, they send the machines out. I would definitely check with the dealer and see what they say. If they are a good dealer they will WANT to know that your machine was returned to you not properly cleaned. If their response is not good, go elsewhere and report back who the dealer was if you don't mind so others too can go elsewhere. And if your response is really terrible, I would suggest you contact Janome. Hope this all helps and Good Luck.