Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Janome or Juki, need opinions

Janome or Juki, need opinions

I am wanting to buy a machine for piecing and straight line quilting ( and possibly FMQ someday) I think I have narrowed it down to a Juki 2000 QI or a Janome 1600p-QC.
    The Juki comes with several feet and an extension table, which is a plus. I would appreciate any opinions on these machines.

I recalled your earlier thread ...
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...n-t287325.html

Can't help you with any Juki info.

I am sure you will hear more of the same about the Janome 1600.
    Keep in mind, that it is not the newest of Janome models
    ... if that is an important issue to you!
    Last edited by QuiltE; 04-14-2017 at 11:05 AM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have the Juki TL 2010 and I love it. I use it for FMQ and sewing on my bindings.

I have the Juki 2010 and would rush out and purchase another one if it every broke. 5 years and going strong with little maintenance. There's lots of info on the board about the Juki if you do a search. Probably about the Janome too.

My vote goes to the Juki 2010. This is one great machine! I use it for piecing and quilting, both straight-line and FMQ. I've used all types of thread on it. I've done FMQ on five layers: top, foundation muslin, two layers of batting and backing, with no problem whatsoever. Though I have to admit that that quilt was quite heavy ... The walking foot is a bit clunky but works well, and I also have a stitch-in-the-ditch foot that is a real gem.

I have a Juki TL98Q that I've had for almost 10 years, love her so much and I can't tell you how many quilts she's done..probably hundreds...I quilt for charity!!!!

I would go with juki as they pretty much make most of the straight stitch machines out there. If it has more accessories that will save you the headache of aquiring them later as well
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

Blog Entries
    I vote for the Juki as well, a real work horse
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Blog Entries
    I bought a Juki tl2000 QI a couple of months ago and love it. I wanted a manual vs computerized. It has a 9 inch throat, auto thread cutter, knee lift, presser foot control so I can raise it for quilting. In short I love it and it is not all plastic. Also came with a large extension table. I got it from Sewingmachineplus.com

Blog Entries
    I just traded in the Juki 200QI for a king quilter I was not happy with the Juki 2000 QI the neck I think that's what they called it was just to darn small for FMQ...Other than that it was OK....
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥`..♥ Donna♥`..♥

Happy Quilting!

I have a Juki 2010 and she is Awesome! I used for FMQ and straight stitching.

I love my Juki 2010Q! It makes sewing and quilting a pleasure.
    http://www.craftsy.com/user/333534/pattern-store?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 19 Album of Blocks I Made for Others https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19825.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I've had my Juki 2010Q for a bit over a year. In that time, I've put together about 40 tops, and not been unhappy with it's performance. I've not done any FMQ on it as I have a LA for quilting. Love it for putting on machine bindings, I no longer pin anything.

I thought I would not like the needle down, but it turns out to be a non-issue. When I chain stitch, it's better to stop down, and when I don't, I usually use the thread cutter and that brings the needle up. Not a problem to push the needle up the few times I need it up and not cut the thread.

The knee lift for the presser foot is the main reason I bought a new machine. Would not want a machine for peicing that did not have that function.

I put extra lights on mine and a clear marked plastic over the bed. The one thing that bothered me was that sometimes seams would catch on the edge of the throat plate, and now that never happens. I have it cut so it does not interfere with changing bobbins, and I can easily untape it from the machine and remove the extension bed for servicing. It stays taped to the bed, so it's in the correct position when I put it back.

Love, love, love the machine!
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Another Juki 2010 owner here, love my machine! She's sturdy and heavy and eats bag layers for breakfast! the walking foot that comes with her sucks though, I ended up buying a Janome high shank walking foot. I never thought I'd use the speed control but I love it for FMQ. Brother 1500 is a metal straight stitcher and it's a bit cheaper, it's an excellent machine too. I think Janome and Singer also make metal straight stitchers. I went with the Juki cause I've had a Juki serger for a decade and its never given me any trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Lv2sew2011 View Post
    I just traded in the Juki 200QI for a king quilter I was not happy with the Juki 2000 QI the neck I think that's what they called it was just to darn small for FMQ...Other than that it was OK....
    This may be the case if you are trying to quilt on a frame--since the quilt gets rolled up inside the throat when frame quilting, the actual quilting space front to back limits the size of motif you can use. However, for sit down quilting, the Juki or the Janome both have enough throats space to FMQ large quilts just fine. I have the PQ1500s which is the same size as the two the OP mentioned and I've found the space to be plenty big enough to do all sizes of quilts-- the secret is to squish your quilt into the throat rather than rolling it and to have good support to your left and behind the machine so the quilt doesn't hang off the table and cause drag. The only size quilt I haven't done on my machine is a King sized and that's just because I haven't made a top that big.

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158.1914/ 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s

I have the Juki 2000qi and love it. I got mine thru Amazon, very reasonable, came with feet, ext. table cover and I believe extra needles

I had the Juki 98TL for years and loved it. But I thought I had too many machines (ahem) so I gave the 98TL to my daughter, who loves it. Even though I have a number of machines, I missed the simplicity and power of the Juki, so several months ago I bought a Juki 2000Qi. It's love all over again! I think I'll hang on to it. I used it this week on a church project where we were sewing several layers of plastic tarp material and the Juki handled it like a pro!

I have the 2010 and love it. I don't need any fancy stitches and if I do, I still have my Elna.

If you plan to do FMQ down the road, go with a machine that has a larger throat (harp area). I have a Janome 6600P with a larger throat area and love it. I have never sewn on a Juki so can't compare with my Janome. My advice try each one at a dealer and see what feels best to you. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Karamarie View Post
    If you plan to do FMQ down the road, go with a machine that has a larger throat (harp area). I have a Janome 6600P with a larger throat area and love it. I have never sewn on a Juki so can't compare with my Janome. My advice try each one at a dealer and see what feels best to you. Good luck.
    I agree Karamarie ! I love my Janome 6600 and wouldn't change it. Certainly try a test drive.

Janome 6600 or the newer 8900 or 9400......the 6600 is a real workhorse....very sturdy machine for straight or FMQ. JANOME BUILT THESE MACHINES FOR QUILTING.....I WOULD NOT BUY THE 1600.... i WOULD get the 6600.....great machine. Best wishes on your quest.

Love love love my Juki 2010 - it is a work horse with a beautiful stitch and I have done up to a queen size quilt FMQ on it. Would have no qualms recommending it. It is my only 'house' machine - so use if for piecing, the few garments I make any more, purses etc. My Featherweight is my travel machine and I love it too. Once in a while when I need a zigzag stitch I have an older husqvarna Lily which runs like a trooper so I set that up.

Juki's have become very popular in this area. I've never heard complaints from any of the owners. In my opinion only Janome is not as reliable a machine as it was a few years ago. I run Janome 8900 and am looking at Juki's. I do garment sewing too so I need a model for that too.

I have had a Janome MC9500 and the MC14000 that I have now . Both of those are excellent machines, but nothing compares to my workhorse Juki 2010Q. It is easy and inexpensive to maintain, stitches like a dream and is 100% reliable. I have the other machines for fancy stuff but the Juki is the heart and soul of my sewing studio.
    "The great doing of little things makes the great life." Eugena Price

Wow - I've been lusting after the Juki too . . . and you guys are about to push me over the edge to just get it! ~smile~ Thank you!
    Roseanne

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast