Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome ??? >

Janome ???

Janome ???

Old 12-23-2010, 01:35 PM

I have had my 6500 since 1995 and I just love her. Very easy to use and have never had a problem with her.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Mary M
I have the 6600 and do have several issues with it. One is the tension does not stay consitant and I feel it takes up too much of my time to get it set right so often. It does seem to be that they could have done a lot better job with the uptake lever for the thread often pops out of it and makes a mess. I also don't like the way it leaves a nest of thread when srting to sew. It is heck trying to get the lower thread to pick up so it can be put to the side along with the upper thread. Personally I like piecing and quilting with my Juki so much better. The dealer I bought from is no help at all and had I known that, I would have bought on line and saved some hard earned money. JOPO
That uptake lever holds the thread better if you put it in the opposite way. Instead of putting it in from right to left, put it from left to right. I have no problems with thread nests but I do use leaders and enders most of the time.

I had a chance to get a good price on a used 6500 but opted for the 6600 because of the accufeed.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:43 PM

My husband bought me the 6600 and I absolutely love it, I have done 3 quilts since I got it and what a difference. The quilting is so much easier with the dual feed system.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Darlene's
I have been checking out the Janome Memory Craft 6500P. Does anyone have this and if so what do you think about it ? All the reviews I've read and a video showing how some of the features work, everyone loves this machine !
I think I would really like it myself !!
Personally, I would go up to the Horizon just for the throat space. I have had my Horizon for 4 months now and LOVE , love, love it. It's also big enough to easily handle full size quilts. The dial to move from stitch to stitch is great - it's fast and easy to use instead of scrolling through a whole list. I also like the built in accufeed system. Now, if it could only come with a bobbin that held a whole spool of thread,.........
Old 12-23-2010, 03:13 PM

After sewing for many year, I took my first quilting class in Jan. '03 and purchased my 6500 in July '04. I have only used it for piecing, quilting, and mending. I love it and would recommend it. I joined a Janome group (maybe Yahoo?) and that was helpful. I have quilted up to a queen size quilt, and although I have a king-size quilt ready, I think I will be sending it out for quilting.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:01 PM

I got my Janome 6600 in August. I love it. Once you get the hang of attaching the Accufeed foot, it is really easy. I have never had a problem with the thread coming out of the take up lever.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:03 PM

A lot of people in our guild have this machine and love it. I have one lower that I bought used and I really like it. I hope to get the 6500 some day. Janome makes a very reliable machine.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:34 PM

I have the Janome 4800 also. I love it. It does anything I have asked it to do and only needed one repair. I have had it about 10 years. It is a wonderful machine.
Sue
Old 12-23-2010, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by tjradj
Originally Posted by Darlene's
I have been checking out the Janome Memory Craft 6500P. Does anyone have this and if so what do you think about it ? All the reviews I've read and a video showing how some of the features work, everyone loves this machine !
I think I would really like it myself !!
Personally, I would go up to the Horizon just for the throat space. I have had my Horizon for 4 months now and LOVE , love, love it. It's also big enough to easily handle full size quilts. The dial to move from stitch to stitch is great - it's fast and easy to use instead of scrolling through a whole list. I also like the built in accufeed system. Now, if it could only come with a bobbin that held a whole spool of thread,.........
I was thinking the same thing after comparing the 6500,6600 and the horizon, I think I would be more satisfied with the horizon myself and thats about the limit I want to spend..ty so much :lol:
Old 12-23-2010, 06:40 PM

I learned to piece and quilt on a 6500 and fell in love with it. I then was able to use a 6600P and that is what I ended up buying four years ago. I love my machine. The issues with the machines are minimal and you just learn the quirks of your own machine.
Be sure to use only bobbins for Janome machines. I bought a plethora of them from E-bay and they work beautifully. The 6600P requires one with perfectly straight top and bottom, no concave whatsoever or it will mess up everytime.
I clean the bobbin area after every project or 10 hours of sewing. Use quality thread, mine does not like the cheaper thread so I use Connecting Thread threads now.
Hope this helps.