Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Janome ???

I have been checking out the Janome Memory Craft 6500P. Does anyone have this and if so what do you think about it ? All the reviews I've read and a video showing how some of the features work, everyone loves this machine !
    I think I would really like it myself !!

I have only ever heard GOOD things about Janomes!

I have the 6600 and the machines are pretty much identical. I would look at the 6600 for the walking foot feature.

There are a couple things I dont like. First the screw that attaches the ankle is ackwardly placed. Second it tends to have the thread come out of the uptake lever.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Darlene's
    I have been checking out the Janome Memory Craft 6500P. Does anyone have this and if so what do you think about it ? All the reviews I've read and a video showing how some of the features work, everyone loves this machine !
    I have had my 6500 since '04. LOVE IT! I started quilting in '03, and 'Jan' has seen me through lots of learning and trying new things. I have worked with heavy upholstery fabric, and denim and of course lots and lots of cotton, she sewed through all as if they were the same. I have used almost all the feet that it came with, plus have purchased a few more. Learning FM on her was a breeze (having her own Koala cabinet helped too). Her weight (and mine, lol) is the one draw back.

The 6500 will be your 'new best friend'.

Quote Originally Posted by seamstome
    I have the 6600 and the machines are pretty much identical. I would look at the 6600 for the walking foot feature.

There are a couple things I dont like. First the screw that attaches the ankle is ackwardly placed. Second it tends to have the thread come out of the uptake lever.
    This one has the walking foot and lots of others that come with it .

Quote Originally Posted by grammy Dwynn
    I have had my 6500 since '04. LOVE IT! I started quilting in '03, and 'Jan' has seen me through lots of learning and trying new things. I have worked with heavy upholstery fabric, and denim and of course lots and lots of cotton, she sewed through all as if they were the same. I have used almost all the feet that it came with, plus have purchased a few more. Learning FM on her was a breeze (having her own Koala cabinet helped too). Her weight (and mine, lol) is the one draw back.

thats what all the reviews say ...its their best friend now lol ty

I bought mine used 2 years ago and I love it. The throat space is big enough to quilt a queen size if you want to.

I'd go with the 6600 if you can.

I have had the Janome 6500 since May of 2004 and have had some issues with it. The worst was the bobbin case which would rattle, growl and jump out of place. After my dealer insisting that it was operator error, I finally found out that there is an oil wick under the bobbin case (didn't tell you in the manual either) that on some machines dries out and then causes problems. I found out about it from the Janome 6500/6600 Forum from another quilter. I now keep that spot oiled and my bobbin case problems have vanished. My second problem was that my feed dogs would not raise or lower completely making the machine not stitch properly. After several trips to my dealer, another dealer found that there was a missing screw inside the machine, added it and no more difficulties. I also find that my machine likes to veer off the stitching line at intersections. I now know to hold it there to compensate for my machine's wandering tendencies. I've had some paint wear or slightly chip off the machine bed. The provided buttonhole foot will not work with large or thick buttons but my ancient old Singer Buttonholer will work beautifully on my Janome 6500. I am now basically satisfied with my machine as we now understand each other. I do like all of the stitch patterns, (wish the alphabet was larger) and do appreciate the larger harp. There are no perfect machines out there but if you know about these potential problems, you should have a good relationship. The other plus is that the price of this machine has come down a lot since the Horizon came out. Happy machine buying.

I love my mothers Janome machine. When I bought my new machine I didnt have access to a Janome dealer so my second choice was brother. Mom has an older memory craft and it purrs like a kitten still after having it for at least 10 years.

I've had two Janomes now ( the 4623LE and now the 6600).
    They've both been great.

No, the 6600 has a feature that has a built in walking foot where the 6500 doesn't. Yes you can use a walking foot on the 6500, but the 6600 is really cool with that special feature. The Horizon has it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamiestitcher62

No, the 6600 has a feature that has a built in walking foot where the 6500 doesn't. Yes you can use a walking foot on the 6500, but the 6600 is really cool with that special feature. The Horizon has it too.
    Oh I see what you mean well I will have to check it out and compare them.ty

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seamstome

I also dislike the screw that attaches the ankle - I feel like I need three hands to change the foot attachment :) But otherwise I love my machine.

I have a Janome Memory Craft 4800, nothing fancy, and I love it.

I know two quilters who has a Janome, and both think their
    machines are absolutely fabulous.

I have the 6600 and do have several issues with it. One is the tension does not stay consitant and I feel it takes up too much of my time to get it set right so often. It does seem to be that they could have done a lot better job with the uptake lever for the thread often pops out of it and makes a mess. I also don't like the way it leaves a nest of thread when srting to sew. It is heck trying to get the lower thread to pick up so it can be put to the side along with the upper thread. Personally I like piecing and quilting with my Juki so much better. The dealer I bought from is no help at all and had I known that, I would have bought on line and saved some hard earned money. JOPO

I have three Janome's I love them wouldn't have any other machine

Blog Entries
    mine is the MC4800 and i love it too. no huge problems as of yet. but it just cost me $131.00 to get it cleaned!

I can't say how you'd like the 6500 compared to the 6600, bc I have the 6600 and I have the 6260 quilters companion.
    If I had a shot at a 6500 and it was a good deal and I didn't think I would be getting the same shot at another model, I'd go for it.
    The Janomes are great in my book.
    Husvarnas and Berninas are out of my price range, but I don't think I'll ever really miss them. I'm quite content...at least for now, lol! :XD:

I have had my 6500 since 1995 and I just love her. Very easy to use and have never had a problem with her.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary M
    I have the 6600 and do have several issues with it. One is the tension does not stay consitant and I feel it takes up too much of my time to get it set right so often. It does seem to be that they could have done a lot better job with the uptake lever for the thread often pops out of it and makes a mess. I also don't like the way it leaves a nest of thread when srting to sew. It is heck trying to get the lower thread to pick up so it can be put to the side along with the upper thread. Personally I like piecing and quilting with my Juki so much better. The dealer I bought from is no help at all and had I known that, I would have bought on line and saved some hard earned money. JOPO
    That uptake lever holds the thread better if you put it in the opposite way. Instead of putting it in from right to left, put it from left to right. I have no problems with thread nests but I do use leaders and enders most of the time.

I had a chance to get a good price on a used 6500 but opted for the 6600 because of the accufeed.

My husband bought me the 6600 and I absolutely love it, I have done 3 quilts since I got it and what a difference. The quilting is so much easier with the dual feed system.

Blog Entries
    Personally, I would go up to the Horizon just for the throat space. I have had my Horizon for 4 months now and LOVE , love, love it. It's also big enough to easily handle full size quilts. The dial to move from stitch to stitch is great - it's fast and easy to use instead of scrolling through a whole list. I also like the built in accufeed system. Now, if it could only come with a bobbin that held a whole spool of thread,.........

After sewing for many year, I took my first quilting class in Jan. '03 and purchased my 6500 in July '04. I have only used it for piecing, quilting, and mending. I love it and would recommend it. I joined a Janome group (maybe Yahoo?) and that was helpful. I have quilted up to a queen size quilt, and although I have a king-size quilt ready, I think I will be sending it out for quilting.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast