Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Jo- Ann Announcement! >

Jo- Ann Announcement!

Jo- Ann Announcement!

Old 07-31-2010, 09:57 AM

One of the older JoAnns by me has reorganized the store. The fabric seems to be lined up in long rows that are pretty close together. Not pleasant for looking around. I'm not sure what they've done with the rest of the store, but the way the fabric is crammed together makes me not want to visit anymore.
I have a number of JoAnns in the area so it's just one off my list and 4 are left.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:08 AM

I've noticed our JoAnns seems to have less fabric selection than they had in the past. (Brdwy & Kolb, Tucson, AZ).
Old 07-31-2010, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by raptureready
Let's hope this doesn't make them decrease their fabric selections. Our Joann's carries some really nice fabric at reasonable prices. Personally I wish they'd get rid of some of the garden, fake flower stuff, and Dollar Deal junk to make room for more fabric.
i wish they'd get rid of joanns and add a real fabric store. barring that, i agree. that other junk is well, junk. you can get better deals at dollar stores on the fake flowers and such.
Old 08-01-2010, 05:05 AM

We are getting a Jo-Ann in Serville Tn. I am so excitted, have never been to one!!!
Old 08-01-2010, 05:15 AM

Duluth GA downsized their store by 50% this year. Seems to be much more into other crafts but has a pretty good selection of medium to low quality quilting fabric. Though more expensive local quilt shops have a far better selection.
Old 08-01-2010, 05:22 AM

At my Joann's, the "jewelry" aisle is about 2 ft. wide -- barely enough room for 1 cart let alone kids hanging off of one. I like to look at all the jewelry "findings" but usually won't even go down those aisles due to the crowding...BUT, I don't really think my opinion is worth very much as I seldom venture inside our Joann's store -- I ALWAYS end up mad when I go there and that isn't good for my blood pressure :lol:
Old 08-01-2010, 05:24 AM

I use coupons for needles, thread and notions. I rarely buy quilt fabric there.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:48 AM

Back in the 1980's we were living in Wisconsin. I was the Assistant Manager of a JoAnns Fabrics. I will never forget the day we unloaded a gazillion boxes of summer lawn and pool toys! We had squirt guns, ring toss games, inflatable beach balls, etc. Why we asked? To keep up with the times we were told. Anyway we only had so much room so you can imagine what got shifted to the back of the store and piled up to be impossible to sort and choose. Our customers were unhappy and said if they wanted to buy toys they would go to a toy store and in a fabric store they wanted fabric! Luckily the 'great idea" didn't work and we went back to selling fabric until winter when we had another huge shipment of Christmas lights and decorations. By spring we had a directive to move the entire store around. We put the notions where the flannels were, quilting took over the former upholstery spot, etc. This was to encourage shoppers to browse and buy more. What it did was to infuriate our customers and they went across town to Hancock and Walmart. Come Autumn, I left and went back to teaching Chemistry! Sometimes change is good, sometimes not.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:10 AM

I stopped shoping at Joanns since they started charging Quilting Shop prices for inferior fabric.
Online is my preference but it does have the drawback of not seeing the fabric in person.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:00 AM

More craft stuff? I thought JoAnn's was for sewing primarily. You are right about the young MBA's who think the market goes to trendy...jewelry making, paper crafting, scrapbooking etc. I guess I'm just getting old and must be stuck in a rut. Wasn't Michael's for the crafting etc. supplies? Tall Mouse too (in California). I admit I did do crafts when I had small kids, but they're all getting old too. LOL Se la vie'.