Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Jo Ann's Fabrics On Line - Great Quilting Material >

Jo Ann's Fabrics On Line - Great Quilting Material

Jo Ann's Fabrics On Line - Great Quilting Material

Old 12-05-2013, 06:33 PM

Default Jo Ann's Fabrics On Line - Great Quilting Material

Okay, there have had lots of discussions about Jo Ann"s but I just wanted to share. Last week, the Jo Ann's had a 60% off fabric at their online store (sent me a message early in the am). I ordered their quilting fabric and purchased over $125.00 (6 pieces equaled 13 yards) worth of fabric which cost me about $53.00 (with tax) with free shipping. I had looked at the material in our local store and new what I was getting. Now, it arrived yesterday and they were packaged very well and individually. In three of the fabrics, there was a note that "because it was the end of the bolt, they had sent me the rest of the bolt "AT NO CHARGE", there was little over a whole yard on one, and almost a yard more on each of the other 2 and all the other material was a tad over a yard on each measure. So, I am very pleased and just wanted share.

Last edited by QuiltingHaven; 12-05-2013 at 06:51 PM.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:45 PM

I shop at Joanne's all the time. I always find something there. Good for you on your score!
Old 12-05-2013, 06:47 PM

Glad you received such a great deal and are sharing your observations. Clerks in the store don't allow any extra yardage and must be watched not to stretch the fabric for the yardage requested. I rarely buy fabrics online.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:43 PM

Good score!! I've always had good luck at both the Joann's I go to. Cuts are generous, and I've been able to take advantage of end of bolt purchases!
Old 12-05-2013, 09:46 PM

I, too, receive the online notices and coupons, but I haven't used the online service yet. Great to know that it's so customer-friendly!
Old 12-06-2013, 04:36 AM

I like buying fabric from JoAnn's online too. When I shop in the store they won't give you 1 thread over a yard, but online the cuts are very generous. My recent purchase also had the "extra" on it, for a 1 yard cut I received about 1 yard and 3/4. I was happy.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:08 AM
Power Poster

Usually, if there is less than a yard on the bolt, the clerk is suppose to offer you the piece for 50% OFF the already discounted price. That saves them from process of making the leftover fabric into a remnant. I do sometimes find myself searching for those almost empty bolts.

Just be careful of the lower price cotton fabric because some of it including a small black & white check is not the quality that should be made into a quilt. Their premium fabric line are as good as LQS fabric. But remember, Walmart and JAF sell a lot of second quality fabric thru a fabric broker. That is why you don't see the fabric on the original manufacture's bolt. Most of the time, there just might be a miss print near the salvage or something similar in the printing process. I worked for House of Fabric part-time (number of years) JUST to get the sweet 25% employee discount. Also helped an owner of an independent fabric store and I learned most of what I know about the fabric industry from her.

And I do buy fabric from JAF. I prefer buying it from the store so I check the quality of the fabric. Just have to remember to get a ticket from the cutting table before I finsih looking at the fabrics!! Loved their 60% off notion sale with free shipping. That broke MY bank !!
Old 12-06-2013, 05:55 AM

The only bad part of that 60% off sale was the minimum cut on-line was 2 yards---wanted a couple of prints ,but only needed one yard. Oh well guess I really didn't need it!
Old 12-06-2013, 06:45 AM

I shop at Joann's both on-line & in store. The employees at our Joann's are courteous & friendly. They even call us by name if we have been in the store a few times. I love that store!
Old 12-06-2013, 07:19 AM
Power Poster

I have bought fabrics online at Joanns, very pleased with it. I have bought even more at local stores, both were good deals.
I recently bought backing fabrics from another popular store, was sent twice as much as I thought I ordered. I won't buy from them again. One piece even had a perfect 4-5" square cut out of it. Luckily I was able to cut a backing and by passed the cut out square. Just won't buy again. Good thing I have lots of fabrics and don't really need anymore.