Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
JoAnn Coupons...Am I Missing Something? >

JoAnn Coupons...Am I Missing Something?

JoAnn Coupons...Am I Missing Something?

Old 01-12-2010, 10:43 AM

I normally use these to buy batting by the roll which is not always on sale. We do a lot of charity quilts in our guild, so I get 40% off a 100.00 roll of batting. Saves a lot.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:58 AM

I use mine mainly for pattern books or Wilton baking items, which are rarely on sale, I can always find a pattern book I want and with the coupon, I get it for 50% off...
Old 01-12-2010, 11:01 AM

Most of the times they have their magazines on sale for 10% off so you can't use them for that either. Have you noticed how much the fabric and batting has increased? It takes a 50% coupon to get it down to the old "regular" price.....oh, but it's on sale so no using the coupon, lol.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:44 AM

I was in our local Joann's the other day and wanted to buy a book. The ad said 40% off all quilting books. He tried to charge me the full price. I showed him the ad where it said "ALL" and he did give me the 40% off. Then I gave him the extra 10% off all Regular and Sale items coupon and he said it did not apply to any items that were already on sale. I think they are just out to get what they can and I do as little shopping there as I have to any more. The only good buy I found there recently was their Queen sized Warm and Natural in the packages was $9.99 each.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:06 PM

They told me at our Joann's that you can still use the cpns. They take the origional price and deduct the cpn amount. It usually is more than the sale price. But I have used it on an item that turned out to be lower than the sale price.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by pflum1
You are lucky if your store will mark the item back to regular price and then take the 40% off. Our store won't let you do that.
I have also found that most of the items have already been marked up 30 to 40% more than I can get it at Hobby Lobby. Example, I wanted some insul-brite, JoAnn's was 6.99, Hobbly Lobby was $2.99. A big differences.
Also, they use the big thumb to measure. I have been shortage as much as 4 inches on 4 yards. Plus lots of there fabric is starting to look like craft fabric. And the notions are the same thing we have had for 50 years. They need to get some new buyers and update there notions and fabric.
Yep, they definitely do not measure correctly. I have a friend who will ALWAYS bring her fabric back and make them recut it. They cringe when they see her walk in but they've learned to just cut her fabric correctly. Often I will ask the sales clerk cutting my fabric to please not pull on the fabric, as it stretches it out and doesn't give me the right amount of fabric. I go in frequently and am always nice to the ladies so they've come to treat me better then they do most everyone else.

Alias - I reprint my coupons that are mailed to my email address and use them multiple times all the time and I've never had a problem with it.

Originally Posted by Charleen DiSante
yes, sometimes I've noticed that even when a fabric is "new" to my store, there are sometimes fade lines in the cheaper ones. I guess the 'gris' does not always take the dyes but quality control seems to have gone out the window with many things now, not only fabric. I just keep my eyes open and the ladies at our shop are very helpful at cutting away anything that is not acceptable. Or, I just say no thanks, and try to remember that something of poor quality is not their fault.
Actually, the reason the fabric at a LQS is of better quality then at Joann's or WalMart is quite simple. The factory making the fabric makes several runs (tests). The first run of fabric usually gets sent to places like WalMart. This isn't done on the best quality of fabric (which are why there are often burls and snags). The factory is testing the color and print. Once this run is complete they make adjustments & put in a better quality of fabric and run another "test" for color and design. This run is usually sent to places like Joann's or Hancocks. The final run is done on the best quality of fabric and it gets sent to your LQS and other places like that. This explains why WalMart fabric is not always the best, or fabric at Joann's compared to your LQS. It also explains why it is less expensive and why the color or pattern may not always match up to the same fabric line at your LQS. I learned this through my aunt, who used to own her own quilt store. As you can see, knowing this doesn't keep me from buying fabric at Joann's, but I am a bit picky when choosing which fabrics I do buy. If it feels wrong or looks to be fading I skip it. Hope this info helps.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:11 PM

I use them at Michael's (craft store) as well since they reciprocate! It's sometimes hard to find the item that I really needed to use the coupon but other times when it actually does help.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:16 PM

I once spent over $50 in Joanne's and the only thing not on sale in my cart was a zipper - so I got 40% off $1.99. Wow! I really skipped out of the store that day - what a bargain!!
Old 01-12-2010, 12:35 PM

I have no JoAnn's here, so I always miss out.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:36 PM

the coupons are good for nothing!!