Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
joanns vs lqs >

joanns vs lqs

joanns vs lqs

Old 08-19-2011, 10:33 AM

'Substandard' might have been the wrong word. But oftentimes two fabrics that appear to be the same (the same design) may not be.

They may be printed on different quality greige goods (the unprinted cloth).

They may be the first run of the fabric (strikeoffs) and don't have all the finishing processes added (which help prevent shrinking or fading).

They may have a slight inconsistency in the printing and can't be sold as first quality (i.e. the middle of a flower is printed in the wrong place or the wrong color).

Why does Joann's charge the same price? Perhaps because they run a lot of sales or have 40% off coupons and they still need to make a profit??
Old 08-19-2011, 10:33 AM

While I agree - after fingering a lot of known brand fabric in Joanne's - the quality is NOT the same, I disagree with the LQS' owners method of ranting about it. Not a good business practice IMO. No, it wouldn't drive me to Joanne's in rebuttal, but it would drive me to another LQS.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:25 AM

It pretty much goes back to the old adage: Buyer Beware!
Old 08-19-2011, 11:57 AM

One more note on the subject, there are 'knock-offs" very often a popular fabrics will be immitated just to the point of a copyright infringement.
I have found a few "knock-offs" at Joanns , one was a Hoffman Christmas print. The Hoffman was fabulous , but on very close inspection the prints design was off just a bit and the Hoffman had 19 colors in the registration on the selvage. The JoAnn version ( knock off) had only 10 . The cheaper knock off appeared "flatter" in color depth and intesity. .... and yes the fabric it was printed on was much much thinner. But from a distance of about 6-8 ft ... it would be tough to tell the two apart unless they were side by side.
There was a popular Kaufman line they printed lots of colors, Jo Ann's had a Knock -off , the print again similiar but not the same number of colors used in the printing , cheaper fabric, and no where near the color choices. .... and just to the edge of a copywright infringement.
As for the "trial " runs being sold ... I know no manufacture that engages in selling a less than exceptable fabric that meets their standards for quality ... the damage to the brand's reputation is not worth the few $$$ in fabric used.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:18 PM
Power Poster

people who have worked in manufacturing fields understand how this works- i worked for a lighting company for a number of years- we would have one mold/material to run light fixtures for Macy's and the same mold/material to run the walmart orders---the difference was QUALITY!!!
the Macy's run we were allowed to have 1 bubble in the plastic in a fixture---more than one bubble they were scrapped-
for walmart's order (same part ect) we could have up to 6 bubble in an inch to pass --
it works the same for most things manufactured- different places may buy the same parts- but they have different quality standards---Joannes is about the same as walmart---but they sure like to charge as if they are an lqs---once in a while they even do get something close
when ours built their new store i guess new building meant they could double their prices- i get much better deals at our lqs- for much better quality-
and even if their fabric (feels) the same---look at it- panals are often far from square- or even- designs are---off- lots of lesser standards.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:24 PM
Power Poster

I was at a LQS the other day and we were talking about the markup of fabric prices due to the jump in cotton. Topic came around to WalMart as her competition and she was actually very gracious. Said that she used to get some fabric from WM when she liked the print but then she did a quality test. She cut both (WM and LQS) fabrics into same size pieces. Marked one set and ran them through the wash. Her comment was that after watching the cheaper fabric lose luster, she decided that she wasn't putting any energy into something that might deteriorate.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:38 PM

Most of the time I just buy what I think is pretty and reasonably priced. If its really thin and flimsy I pass. If I'm gonna pay 10 big ones for a yard of fabric then it better be the better quality. My mom hasn't sewn in years, and was in shock when she went to the fabric store with me. She said back in her day it was cheaper to make all you clothing and anything else you could sew, but now its cheaper to go buy what you want and need already made. Sad how things change.