Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The joys of sewing with MS..... >

The joys of sewing with MS.....

The joys of sewing with MS.....

Old 06-13-2011, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by tmjennings
I guess there are lots of us with Ms who love quilting.
It would be interesting to hear from all of you with the tricks you use to be able to overcome the problems MS gives you.

tip #1
My husband built me a pressing board which just fits on my lap (a 12"x12" board that I padded and cut a ironing board cover to fit, stapled on) so I would not have to get up or move from my sewing machine to press. I put the iron on a table that I can reach.

I dont know if what helps my MS will help your MS but
I sew only on a treadle machine. My quilting has become part of my physical therapy. I do an intense amount of therapy each day. If I want to sew then I have to use the treadle. I have problems with coordination of my feet. My left foot never does what it is supposed to. So thats when I started using the treadle. It has helped a lot. And generally because I am making the speed with my legs. The machine does not get up fast enough to confuse me or panic me.

As part of one of my worst flares I was having trouble with my balance, coordination and my left leg. After 2 one week (6 months apart) treatments of solumedrol and intense physical therapy. I am off the walker and I am in remission.

I pray that all of you find some way to live with our disease. Remember to laugh a lot and always find time to quilt. Even if you are having a hard day and dont want to do anything then looking at quilts or planning one will help!
Old 06-13-2011, 10:27 AM

Sorry for your MS. Have you thought about getting one of the Brother machine from WalMart? Some have a start/stop button and you don't even have to use the foot pedal.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:53 AM

Tip 3 2 is great. I will try it.

Waiting for tIP # 3
Old 06-14-2011, 06:04 PM

My fur baby says Meow instead of woof, woof. He likes to get behind the sewing machine, but at times, he tries to locate himself between the sewing machine and me. I don't have a problem with the foot control, as my legs are, for the most part, fine. MS and arthjritis togeth er have done a number on my hands. The sewing mach ine is my salvation.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by Lucky Lindy
Darn foot pedal! I have 3 siblings and they all have MS, so I have witnessed their struggles since I was a young person. I hope that you can find a way to continue to enjoy sewing. Whatever happens, know that even if you can't sew you can still share your skills and knowledge with others. I admire you, God Bless you!
WOW Linda - that is very rare that that many siblings would develop MS in one family!!! Do any of their children have it?

I too have MS so I can relate - I have to look down when I start to sew too. I have the same problems. I also have some problems with the loss of sensation in my hands coupled with occasional tremors. makes it kinda hard to sew lol I find taking small spurts at sewing helps some.

We have the same attitude - gotta laugh or we would cry :lol: I have been told by several doctors and nurses that half the battle is keeping an upbeat attitude.....May you keep that attitude. If you ever want to talk just pm me.

It looks as though there are alot of us here with MS - maybe we should make a buddy list or something

cheryl :D Keep on keeping on- one small step at a time :thumbup:
Old 06-15-2011, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by emsgranny
It looks as though there are alot of us here with MS - maybe we should make a buddy list or something
:thumbup: Count me in!
Old 06-15-2011, 05:19 AM

Love your sense of humor! I was just imagining if you were using a treadle machine, the dog might think he was getting a massage!

Good luck and keep quilting a laughing!
Old 06-16-2011, 02:43 PM

Kudos to you for keeping at it, even with your limitations. So glad you have a tolerant furbaby!
Old 06-16-2011, 06:01 PM

When making the MS buddy list, please put me near the top.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:08 PM

You can add me to the list of those with MS. I'll be of whatever help I can be. :D