Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Judy Niemeyer patterns...How hard are they? >

Judy Niemeyer patterns...How hard are they?

Judy Niemeyer patterns...How hard are they?

Old 06-03-2013, 06:03 AM

I was able to take a two day class by Judy and would totally be unable to understand her patterns without it. She does make things like curves and tiny paper piecing doable. I was at about your stage in skill when I took her class and at first was very overwhelmed but I learned so much.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by AlienQuilter View Post
I have never done any of her patterns. But, there is a class offered over at Craftsy on paper piecing. It's called "Mastering Foundation Paper Piecing" and is taught by Carol Doak. I'm not real good at paper piecing. You need to be able to think backwards and my brain has trouble with that!

http://www.craftsy.com/classes/quilting
Check them out. I have signed up for several of the other classes and have not been disappointed. Maybe someone here has taken this one.

I don't think I have paid full price for a class yet. I wait for their sales. You just missed a good one over Mother's Day weekend. Sign up for their newsletters. You can also watch their intro videos - that will let you know if your computer can handle the videos. Some have better luck watching them through Chrome rather than IE or Mozilla.

They also have a few freebies. Look under the sewing as well as the quilting ones for the freebies.
I haven't taken this class but do have a video with her and IMHO she is the best teacher for PPing
Old 06-03-2013, 07:17 AM

I do a lot of PPing, and I won't do any method but Carol Doaks. Having said that, I've gotten ONE JN pattern, put it on the shelf and wept....way too difficult. Now, I didn't get a kit and that might have helped, but I think there are easier patterns and I couldn't see stressing as much as I was going to over her pattern. I would suggest that you do a few "more complicated" patterns and if you get a chance to take a JN class, that you do that. As I understand, the teachers of her patterns take a pretty extensive class themselves before being certified to teach her patterns. That tells me something.....
Old 06-03-2013, 07:17 AM

I don't think paper piecing is in my career path. I have done one of Judy's patterns (with much personal help) and finally got it finished. It only took 2 years and a million miles of un-sewing. The quilts are beautiful, but my frustration is greater. I think you have to have a good mindset to start one of her patterns
Old 06-03-2013, 09:01 AM

My BF and I are doing one of her patterns at Quilt Camp later this month. I was very intimidated when I first received the pattern, but then as I studied it carefully, I realized it is written in steps and sections. The instructions are very easy to follow and I think it will be a treasured quilt in my collection
Old 06-03-2013, 09:23 AM

She has some patterns that are technique a month patterns. I have the Glacier star one from last year. I haven't started it yet but I plan on it soon. I was told that the best thing is to take a class from a certified instructor, but I'm in Canada and we don't have a certified instructor near here. there is one that gets certified in August but its still 2 hours away so I'm not taking the class.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:35 AM

I am doing the Bali Wedding Star. If it is typical of her patterns, the trick is to stay organized. My problem with it is that it is so repetitive which gets tedious. Beautiful results though.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:40 AM
Power Poster

well I just bought a 60x60 inch circle one. turns out it's a tree skirt. flying geese. I went to her site and printed out the corrections, grrrrr. why do they sell patterns that have errors? I'm done with her. after I make this thing one day.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:52 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

You can go to YouTube and watch a Carol Doak's video that will teach you everything you need to know about paper piecing. She explains it all. Also, if you go to Carol Doak's blog, you can buy her class on Craftsy for 50% off. You can buy any class on Craftsy for 50% off by going to that person's blog. They all offer their classes for 50% off on their blogs. That's where I buy them.

I use to not like paper piecing until I watched Carol Doak's. Now it's my favorite type of piecing. She makes it so easy. Be sure to check it out.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:33 PM

I recently did my first Judy Niemeyer quilt, Prairie Star, and it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. It is very detailed and the instructions are long but, if you just take it one step at a time and really follow the directions, you can do it. I am no expert at paper piecing but there's only so many ways to do it. I watched several videos on YouTube by searching on "Judy Niemeyer" and the technique of putting everything into baggies was great. Using a clear plastic template sheet and a quarter ruler made a big difference for me. Watch the videos and you'll see what I mean if you're not familiar with that.

I'd start with a simple pattern, maybe even just different individual blocks, to get a feel for it if you're not confident in PP.