Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Judy Niemeyer patterns...How hard are they? >

Judy Niemeyer patterns...How hard are they?

Judy Niemeyer patterns...How hard are they?

Old 06-03-2013, 12:36 PM

not that hard lots of mistakes in the pattern for the price. Done several. Every one had mistakes.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:23 PM

I just finished the top for her Glacier Star. Now keep in mind that I have NEVER done paper piecing until doing this quilt top. I also made changes to her original design because I wanted to make it a little differently. As far as her instructions, yes I have to agree they can be confusing but I have never followed instruction in my life so that's not a big deal for me, I just lay everything out and figure where it should go and then go from there. I was really disappointed that with the amount of the pattern, she doesn't give you a more permanent template pieces.
Because if you like the pattern and use the ones that come with it, you no longer have templates if you ever want to do another. But I got around that also, I cut out the paper pieces and then made my own copies, so I can keep the original ones that came with the instructions.

As far a piecing it together, sure I had some issues but they were mostly because I had never done paper piecing so once I got the hang of it, things went fairly smoothly. Will I ever do another paper piecing project? ONLY if I use some sort of dissolving paper because the picking out of the paper was my biggest pet peeve. A waist of time for me, it took as much time to pick out the paper as it did to sew and the sewing took much longer then I expected. Paper piecing is a lot slower process then normal sewing of pieced blocks. I guess if you have lots of patience then this sort of piecing is ok but it's a very trying thing for someone that's use to getting it done and moving on the the next project.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:35 PM

Is there a chance that she or one of her certified instructors is teaching near you? I took a class with her last year and am going to take one with her this fall at my LQS.

She is a great teacher and will give you tips on how to sew her patterns.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by qbtexas View Post
I consider myself to be "medium" level for paper piecing....and am working on a Judy Niemeyer quilt right now (Briar Patch) with very little difficulty. Patience and paying attention are good traits to have, but I am not finding it very frustrating at all, and now that I have sort of gotten into a groove, I've been enjoying it. I don't know if you can search my posts, but one thing I did to help was to sort of make sample pieces of each step of the piecing, so I can look at what each piece's placement needs to be. It was a handy reference.
Oh...that's a GOOD IDEA! Thanks!
~ Cindy
Old 06-03-2013, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by qbtexas View Post
Thanks again, QB!
~C
Old 06-03-2013, 03:53 PM

I have made Judy's, Wedding Ring Star, years ago and taught two classes, using her pattern. Her instructions and patterns are precise and I had no trouble with it all. I think you need to be experienced in PP and, that particular quilt would be intermediate to advanced.

I found a tiny pic of it here on my pc. This is not a very good pic as I had to stretch it.
Attached Thumbnails weddingringstar.jpg  
Old 06-03-2013, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by IBQUILTIN View Post
My BF and I are doing one of her patterns at Quilt Camp later this month. I was very intimidated when I first received the pattern, but then as I studied it carefully, I realized it is written in steps and sections. The instructions are very easy to follow and I think it will be a treasured quilt in my collection
Your BF and You? OMG...How cute is that? I hope you're still all lovey-dovey when the quilt is done...LOL.

~ Cindy
Old 06-03-2013, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by seasaw2mch View Post
I just finished the top for her Glacier Star. Now keep in mind that I have NEVER done paper piecing until doing this quilt top. I also made changes to her original design because I wanted to make it a little differently. As far as her instructions, yes I have to agree they can be confusing but I have never followed instruction in my life so that's not a big deal for me, I just lay everything out and figure where it should go and then go from there. I was really disappointed that with the amount of the pattern, she doesn't give you a more permanent template pieces.
Because if you like the pattern and use the ones that come with it, you no longer have templates if you ever want to do another. But I got around that also, I cut out the paper pieces and then made my own copies, so I can keep the original ones that came with the instructions.

As far a piecing it together, sure I had some issues but they were mostly because I had never done paper piecing so once I got the hang of it, things went fairly smoothly. Will I ever do another paper piecing project? ONLY if I use some sort of dissolving paper because the picking out of the paper was my biggest pet peeve. A waist of time for me, it took as much time to pick out the paper as it did to sew and the sewing took much longer then I expected. Paper piecing is a lot slower process then normal sewing of pieced blocks. I guess if you have lots of patience then this sort of piecing is ok but it's a very trying thing for someone that's use to getting it done and moving on the the next project.
About the paper issue...Bonnie Hunter suggests that you use old phone book pages for paper piecing, because they're easy to rip out. And since phone books are getting obsolete, you can probably find freebies at the post office, where the recipients leave them behind.

Thanks so much for everyone's suggestions. I still don't know if I'm gonna make a JN quilt right away...maybe. As Goofy once said in an old Disney cartoon: "I'm brave...but I'm careful."

~ Cindy
Old 06-03-2013, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Rosyhf View Post
I have made Judy's, Wedding Ring Star, years ago and taught two classes, using her pattern. Her instructions and patterns are precise and I had no trouble with it all. I think you need to be experienced in PP and, that particular quilt would be intermediate to advanced.

I found a tiny pic of it here on my pc. This is not a very good pic as I had to stretch it.
Beautiful!!!
Old 06-03-2013, 04:40 PM

You will be overwhelmed if you start with Judy's pattern most of her patterns are advanced. I would suggest you start with a simple pattern if at all possible look for a good instructor and take a class. and do several before you attempt Judy's. I love paper piecing. Good Luck.