Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Just because I own a sewing Machine . . . .

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh yes - but IT IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN AGAIN!!!After going thru all that work, is it appreciated HECK NO!!.................whew! I feel better now.........

I do simple mending on the barter system. For fresh veggies or one lady cleans my house. As for large sewing projects bridesmaid or even bridal I just tell them what I will charge, totally out of range prices and that stops them. But sometimes it depends on who it is.

Eeeesh....DH volunteered me for a baby quilt for A COWORKER HE DOESN'T LIKE! And get this....he doesn't even WORK WITH HER anymore! And, even better....HE TOLD HER ONE WAS COMING!!!

And, my neighbor, who quilts but then machine quilts on a regular machine, when I showed her my frame says: Ooooh...I should bring my quilt tops over....

:shock:

She hasn't done that yet, and she's very respectful of others' time and all, but I know what you guys mean. Maybe "if I'm bored" I'll ask her if she's got one I can practice on...wink, wink.

Quote Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
    ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh yes - but IT IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN AGAIN!!!After going thru all that work, is it appreciated HECK NO!!.................whew! I feel better now.........
    No comment on the quilting, but I love your dog. Lost my Saint two years ago and still miss him.

Just recently my neighbor brought me a pair of her son's jeans (he's 35 and doesn't even live at home!!!) that he ripped at work and wanted me to mend them. Not that I'm not willing to help my neighbors but I thought this was a little "nervy", if you know what I mean. I reluctantly did them and I doubt her son will wear them because the rip was quite extensive but I did the best I could. I guess I expected at least a "thank you" from him but nothing. Then my SIL emailed me (not even a call!!) and wanted to know if I could make her 2 granddaughters a couple wall hangings for Christmas. Again, I don't mind helping family but she has a sewing machine and knows how to sew and she knows we're going to CA in Nov. to see our kids and grandkids and I'm in the middle of making 6 quilt projects for them! I emailed her back and told her if she got the fabric, batting, and thread I'd do it. Well, I haven't heard back from her so I'm probably in the dog house...LOL Sorry but my family comes first :)

Blog Entries
    I like being able to fix things for my grandaughters, and other family members. They think I can fix anything. One of my grandaughters brought me a bag that fits over the school chairs. I mended it and sent it back for her. Her teacher was thankful.I do hemming of pants and jackets for others and they usually pay me. No altering,other than hems. I can say no if it is too much for me, or I am not wanting to. I really have not had anyone ask me to do mending free.

From WI then Denver then Houston and now Hainesville, IL
    My husband told our next door neighbor I "sewed" so she came over and asked me to do ALTERATIONS ON FRIENDS WEDDING DRESS!!!
    I don't do mending/alterations on my OWN clothes, and I would feel comfortable doing a WEDDING DRESS????
    :thumbdown:
    I nicely told her I wouldn't feel comfortable tackling something like that, and she got all snotty!!
    yeesh!! Do I slap her or MY HUSBAND???? :lol:

Blog Entries
    Yes all of them. all the time.

Blog Entries
    I have told a few people who asked me to sew for them,
    "I only sew for people I love and
    I don't love you that much".
    J J

cjc
    I agree. It only takes a couple of minutes to mend something on the machine, and I don't have a problem helping someone out with something that is simple...If it's more time consuming, they know it will have to be done on my time schedule...

Blog Entries
    I only do two things...I quilt and I make all of William's Hawaiian shirts...

I guess now I'm the official seamstress for a dance troop from Samoa...they want me to make 15 shirts at a time for them...should be fun! :)

I had one person ask me to make a bug screen for his car! No way I said . Denise

Blog Entries
    I tell anyone who asks me to fix a broken zipper on their favorite pair of pants that I hate fixing zippers, hate taking things apart and they should throw the pants away like I would.

Been there, done that!! I was in the Home Decorating business for years and everyone wanted favors. Not to be a customer. Then I started sewing for the public and making market samples. Then everyone wanted hems, zippers, a little taken in here or a little let out somewhere. They don't realize you have a life besides all this or don't care. Or had fabric to make a formal, but no money to get it made. Ain't life interesting?????

My favorite is when people ask me to do something and they say, I can do it myself but..... obviously, they cannot do it themselves be it for whatever reason (don't have time, don't have machine, etc.)or they wouldn't be asking me!!! I have learned that "No Thanks" is the perfect response as MadQuilter said earlier.

Oh, the misconceptions of people. I am currently doing alterations, but not for long. People will buy any size, pattern or fabric that is on sale, bring in a size 18 and want you to make a 10 out of it. Then they want you to charge $5.00. Honey, I'm afixing to quit alterations!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I get the mending thing all of the time. My DGS was here and had a little friend with him. They were about 4. The visitor did not have an upstairs at his house and he wanted to go upstairs. Parker took him up and he was showing him around the rooms. They came to my sewing room and I heard Parker say," This is the room where shirts get fixed." I do turn down most requests though.

All of this sounds so familiar. I've had to quit sewing for others. I just want to do what I want to do, which in the past few yrs. I don't even find time for my own sewing. i do keep a quilt in progress.
    People do think it want take 10 min. to hem something or do a button hole for fifty cents. So sorry it's come to that tho.

Blog Entries
    I make quilted wallets as special gifts. I have been requested more than once with the following line: "The quilted ones you buy aren't half as nice and they want $20. for them." They seem to think I will make one for free after receiving that compliment. Never seem to get around to it.

Believe me, replacing a zipper on jeans is definitely too much work! When you figure out which seams you have to rip out (fly, crotch, waistband), you realize that you have to practically take them apart to get the old zipper out.

Quote Originally Posted by Tink's Mom
    Yes, son's girlfriend has a pair of pricey jeans with a broken zipper...I told her I won't even look at them until January...and if it is too much work I won't do them...

Quote Originally Posted by grammy Dwynn
    1. can you mend this . . . .
    2. can you make . . . . . . .
    3. will you help me sew . . . . .

Or --- Oh you QUILT!
    1. can you make me one
    2. oh I have this fabric (?), do you want it

Do any of you face these statements?
    Well, the perfect answer to any of these questions is, "Yes, but." The rest of that sentence should contain one of the phrases:
    1. or 2. "I charge $8 to $15 an hour to mend and/or make something."
    3. "There is a sewing class at the local community college."
    Regarding Quilting:
    1. "Yes, I can make you one, but I charge $300 to make the top and another $400 to quilt it, plus the material which will probably cost about $200."
    2. "Only if it's free and I don't have to make you a quilt out of it."

Don't forget "And I will pick the pattern."

Quote Originally Posted by catmcclure
    Quote Originally Posted by grammy Dwynn
    1. can you mend this . . . .
    2. can you make . . . . . . .
    3. will you help me sew . . . . .

Or --- Oh you QUILT!
    1. can you make me one
    2. oh I have this fabric (?), do you want it

Do any of you face these statements?
    Well, the perfect answer to any of these questions is, "Yes, but." The rest of that sentence should contain one of the phrases:
    1. or 2. "I charge $8 to $15 an hour to mend and/or make something."
    3. "There is a sewing class at the local community college."
    Regarding Quilting:
    1. "Yes, I can make you one, but I charge $300 to make the top and another $400 to quilt it, plus the material which will probably cost about $200."
    2. "Only if it's free and I don't have to make you a quilt out of it."

I tell people that they can't afford my prices. Then I smile and tell them that I really don't have the time to MEND their clothes, and I am not a seamtress, I am a quilter. Now the princess dress... I would stop whatever I was doing to repair it.

I tell them I don't sew, only quilt. Giving my granddaughter a sewing machine for her birthday so she can learn.

Blog Entries
    The next time someone asks if I can hem some pants, my response is "yes, $10 per pair". They don't realize that you spent money for a sewing machine, how much time it takes to cut and measure, your thread, etc.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast