Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Just because I own a sewing Machine . . . . >

Just because I own a sewing Machine . . . .

Just because I own a sewing Machine . . . .

Old 08-21-2010, 06:03 PM

I used to sew for people, not a tailor really but I have made several wardrobes for people. Of course they paid me for the services. I enjoyed it most of the time. It was great to make something someone wanted. like a black velvet suit, or square dance dress, and see the joy on their faces when it was done. It paid for my sewing machine, and extra play money.

I did get taken advantage of by my inlaws though. I swear that every single time they visited I had to hem at least two pair of pants for my father in law. He appreciated it so it was not too bad. But My MIL used to ask me if I could "run this up" on my machine all the time. I always thought it was funny that she thought it was so easy.

The worst favor I ever had to do was when my inlaws came to visit and they both had red jackets that they had started putting campground patches on. MIL had started hand sewing on some and they looked awful. I told her sure, it didn't look like to many, no prob. Well, then she came in with a huge zip lock bag full of more patches, two of each. S I spent two or three days working on getting those patches on. I am a bit of a perfectionist so it took a long time. Plus there was enough to go down each front and down the arms. We saved the back for more patches. The actual sewing part was not fun, but they were both so grateful and loved my work so it was worth it.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:01 AM

It sure is nice that I'm not alone in these request.

What started me thinking on this - I have a friend of about 20 years. She asked if I could make some valances for her bay window. I think valances, no problem. Well she shows up with upholstery fabric, 2 colors and limited amount (plus a rubber-y-ish back). She asked if I could make them striped. After doing all the math work, there is JUST enough fabric... meaning NO mistakes. I make them, she loves them, looks wonderful... kiss, kiss, thanks... bye. Okay she did take me to lunch for my troubles.

THEN (same friend) sees that I do hand embroidery. She says... oh I haven't done that in years. Can you give me a refresher course. OKAY (she is a friend) I say. She shows up with her iron on pattern OMG IMHO it is too intricate, but its her choice. I make her some oversize blocks of the Kona cotton I recommended she get. She does her thing, and the turned out fairly descend. BUT she starts asking about turning it into a quilt.... by me. So I get the thousand questions. She: How much fabric? Me: What size do you want? She: Large sofa throw? Me: How many color do you want? She: I don't know, what do you think? Me: IMHO hand embroidery is better off as a wall hanging! She: I really want it as a sofa throw! So how much fabric do I need? I then figure out that I am getting not making head way. THAT IS WHEN I suggested that she take a 101 quilting class.... guess what she did it. But I am still holding her hand.

She is finding out that you don't take a yard of fabric and turn it into a 'king size quilt' :roll: or that it only takes a day or two of your time ;-) Slowly she is getting it. :thumbup:
Old 08-22-2010, 09:09 AM

I guess I'm strange too. Actually, I sort of like the mending jobs. I call it easy work and easy money too. Sort of helps out in buying more quilting supplies.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:10 AM

Carol,

Sometimes my sons ask me to do things that I am not capable of doing. So, I take them to the tailors and pay the professional. This is between you and me ONLY. I never tell them.

Quilter68 (who is now 69)
Can't believe that I forgot this one: A 'friend' asked me to sew some pretty embroidery patches on a chambray shirt. I was home from work mending from an operation and it was fun. Long story short - I did 26 jackets for her - no problem...she is my friend...I used 15 spools of Coats and Clark's thread (@3,25 per ). I kept asking her for thread and she finally brought one spool of 3 for a dollar thread from Walmart and it was rayon...which doesn't work on cotton and denim. It won't hold.

Longer story shorter... she went to work and showed them off and said SHE did them!!! The nerve!!! But I was proud of my work and had taken photos of all that I did.
After 30 years...end of friendship and she has people asking me why I don't contact her. I was taken advantage of and will not let that happen again!
Old 08-22-2010, 09:17 AM
Power Poster

I suggest that they take it to the local dry cleaners to get the broken zippers or mending done. After all, creative people hate this kind of work. Well... I do my own and hubby's and that's it!
Old 08-23-2010, 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by grammy Dwynn
1. can you mend this . . . .
2. can you make . . . . . . .
3. will you help me sew . . . . .

Or --- Oh you QUILT!
1. can you make me one
2. oh I have this fabric (?), do you want it

Do any of you face these statements?
Yes to all because Mom/Grannie can do anything. But my neighbor feeds me in exchange for favors, my DIL takes me to New York to the garment district and my daughter is very generous at Christmas & other important days.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:28 AM

While I was working on my shoebox block, my husband brought me 2 pairs of shorts that our neighbor couldn't repair. She's a wonderful neighbor but doesn't have a sewing machine or needle in the house. And she has stage 4 lung cancer so she's not up to doing the job. The shorts were for her grandson. The grandson is a great kid but overweight and had really done a job on the shorts. It took me a couple of hours to repair them but I'm glad I did. I'm not a seamstress but did the best I could. I know money is tight and thought he would need them ASAP. I'm glad I helped in a small way. Lynn
Old 08-23-2010, 03:32 AM

I had a friend call me from the dressing room asking if I could shorten the straps on a bathing suit for her daugter. It fit everywhere but the straps were a bit long.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:33 AM

For certain people I will do something! I mend and alter for my immediate family! What I dislike is when someone, not even family, thinks they will just come over and use your machine!!!!!!!!! CRinge!I don't let people who aren't people who quilt or sew use my machines!!! So I end up doing the project myself! Lately, I just tell everyone I don't have the time to do it, I have very little time to do what I want to! As for the fabric, yea I will usually take it, still building stash. I go through and what I don't want I take to goodwill.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:37 AM

Just this month, my dil wants me to teach her to sew, she lives 3 hours away! My son's girlfriend, wants me to show her how to quilt, but never shows up and last week my dear friend wants a table runner made for her! My niece wants to come over and sew things, I said " I didn't know you like to sew". She said " I don't know how, but I love your sewing room and want too"! She just had a baby girl, enough said