Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Just because I own a sewing Machine . . . .

Super Member Luv Quilts and Cats's Avatar
    I don't think anyone has asked me to do any sewing of any kind for them because I am so slow at it any way! LOL! Works for me!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by madamekelly
    I once answered yes when asked to make a wedding dress for the little neighbor girl. She and I agreed that she would pay whatever she thought it was worth, (stupid, I know) She brought me white, heavy weight satin, and beautiful silver shot white lace. The pattern was a simple sheath dress, that she wanted lace puff sleeves, with satin cuffs. I am fast with a sewing machine, and had the dress done the next day. It was elegant! She took one look, and decided it was too plain. I told her to go get some trim she liked and I would add it. She came back hours later with the UGLIEST 1/2 inch round silver sequins, that she wanted sewn around the neck, hem and kick- pleat. (Oh, and could I get rid of the gray thread they were strung on?) I did it.....by hand, since my machine was made on this planet, and cannot sew over anything that huge. Her dress was NOT pretty any longer, but she was thrilled with it. She left the next day on her honeymoon. Can we say last minute anyone? When she came back a week later, she stopped by to pay me. Imagine my DELIGHT when she handed me $10! NO, I do not do command-sewing anymore!
    Wow, what an insult. Never ever say whatever you think it is worth. Some people think that means free. That is why I stopped decorating cakes years ago. They would say but a cake mix only cost $1(that was then).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chamby
    I once answered yes when asked to make a wedding dress for the little neighbor girl. She and I agreed that she would pay whatever she thought it was worth, (stupid, I know) She brought me white, heavy weight satin, and beautiful silver shot white lace. The pattern was a simple sheath dress, that she wanted lace puff sleeves, with satin cuffs. I am fast with a sewing machine, and had the dress done the next day. It was elegant! She took one look, and decided it was too plain. I told her to go get some trim she liked and I would add it. She came back hours later with the UGLIEST 1/2 inch round silver sequins, that she wanted sewn around the neck, hem and kick- pleat. (Oh, and could I get rid of the gray thread they were strung on?) I did it.....by hand, since my machine was made on this planet, and cannot sew over anything that huge. Her dress was NOT pretty any longer, but she was thrilled with it. She left the next day on her honeymoon. Can we say last minute anyone? When she came back a week later, she stopped by to pay me. Imagine my DELIGHT when she handed me $10! NO, I do not do command-sewing anymore!
    Wow, what an insult. Never ever say whatever you think it is worth. Some people think that means free. That is why I stopped decorating cakes years ago. They would say but a cake mix only cost $1(that was then).
    EXACTLY!

I wish I had read this a few months ago! I was asked to make 3 of 5 flower girls dresses with gauntlets and multiple skirts. They said they'd pay for my time and efforts and since it was for a friend, I said they could pay what it was worth it to them. I handed the dresses over after one week, fully done and 4 months before the wedding. I didn't hear anything but I thought I would after the wedding. Then, a month before the wedding (which was 2 weeks ago) the bride emailed me and asked me to make 5 purses for the flower girls, without a pattern and going off of a photo in a magazine. After a day of figuring out how to make an ice cream cone shaped purse that was lined, I went to work and had them done in two days. It's been 2 weeks since the wedding and I haven't heard anything, except how lovely the dresses and purses were. Oh well, "que sera sera."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lisahughes0204
    I wish I had read this a few months ago! I was asked to make 3 of 5 flower girls dresses with gauntlets and multiple skirts. They said they'd pay for my time and efforts and since it was for a friend, I said they could pay what it was worth it to them. I handed the dresses over after one week, fully done and 4 months before the wedding. I didn't hear anything but I thought I would after the wedding. Then, a month before the wedding (which was 2 weeks ago) the bride emailed me and asked me to make 5 purses for the flower girls, without a pattern and going off of a photo in a magazine. After a day of figuring out how to make an ice cream cone shaped purse that was lined, I went to work and had them done in two days. It's been 2 weeks since the wedding and I haven't heard anything, except how lovely the dresses and purses were. Oh well, "que sera sera."
    Wow... I really hope they do something really special for you. I would not be a happy camper!!!! :hunf:

sure do

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lisahughes0204
    I would be mailing a bill to this lady.
    Charlene

Part of me feels that since I said, "Pay what it's worth to you" that I walked into that one myself so I just need to bite the bullet. I really do like to help people out and the bride is a close acqaintance but they also insisted that they would not let this slide. I guess I just got my hopes up on those long nights when I was figuring out patterns or struggling through puckered overskirts.

My family learned years ago that I don't mend. I would just say "put it in the mending basket" and then, some time much later, I would go through the basket and toss the item because it was either out of style or no longer fit. My exceptin of cours is when either of my grandsons want anything for whom I would drop quilting and mend favorite jeans or shorten dress pants or paint the moon.

they just pull on your heartstrings don't they???
    My children have figure out that for me...."Spoilin' is my game, and Grammy is my name". Sometimes I wish i had them first, grandchildren are just too much fun.

I love this answer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-D

Replace zippers? Yep, for $50 and you supply the zipper!

I'd rather have a colonoscopy!

Grandchildren are your reward for not killing you children.

Grandchildren are your reward for not killing you children.

Blog Entries
    I must share my latest grandson story----he is 10 yrs. old and asked if I could possibly mend his very favorite lucky underwear. He says I'll need some new material and purple is the basic color. I haven't seen them yet so don't know what the print is, but he is willing to pay me with the money he gets for an allowance after he does his chores. Some adults should take a lesson.

Blog Entries
    What a sweet story. Yes, the adults should learn from him.
    Thanks for sharing.

Lynn

I have heard it all plus more. :lol:

I would have to ask why a 10 year old has favorite lucky underwear.

Blog Entries
    His teams have won their games every time he wore them. Team colors are red and white, but these are purple. Go figure...

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Here are a couple of responses I use:
    "Would you ask Picasso to paint your garage door just because he was 'a painter'?"
    Would you ask Chanel to hem your pants/sew on buttons just because she 'made clothing'?"

I guess I've heard this so often that I no longer have a problem saying, "you couldn't afford me!" and laughing. I definitely agree that, since I hardly do my own mending, I'm certainly not likely to do someone else's!

Blog Entries
    I lead a quilting group monthly at our church who makes simple baby and comfort quilts to be given out. One person came in with antique crazy quilt squares. Someone had found them in mother's attic after her death. So K wanted me to do something wonderful with them so that we could sell them in some shape or form and give the money to an outreach program or something else worthwhile. I had 21 10" squares and 17 9" squares. Anyway, I was able to create (on paper) an "almost" twin size with some sashing and borders. I suggested table runners or wall hangings with 4 to 6 in each, so that we could spread the number of items made. Two meetings later, she still wouldn't accept my explanation that I couldn't make a queen size out of the limited number and odd sizes. It finally dawned on me that SHE wanted the quilt and SHE wanted it queen-sized for something at her fabulous home.

I finally gave her all the blocks back and said that I couldn't help her. It actually would have made me dizzy even trying to sew them. She's got a machine, and she's the one with the great ideas.... But she still probably doesn't know what size a queen size bed is.

Blog Entries
    Jraff----
    How wonderful that her true intentions dawned on you before you spent all that time fulfilling a very selfish desire.
    What a warm feeling to reach out to those in need with our talents, but for those who take advantage of us---ice cycles!

It's been fun - and informative - reading this thread.

When my girls were in high school, I made lots of prom dresses for them, and for some of their close friends. I can't recall how much I was paid, but it was more fun to see their faces light up when they donned their dresses. (I got to keep the leftover fabric. (Can you say 'Crazy Quilt?)

I do some mending for family only, and like many of the grammas here, I can't say 'no' to a request from a grandchild. Oh, I also do favors for favorite nieces, but they return small favors at some time.

My favorite non-quilting sewing is that of creating christening gowns...my grandniece looked beautiful in hers in April. I did it as a gift...her mom looked for one for her, but they were quite expensive, so I offered to make one.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo47
    It's been fun - and informative - reading this thread.

When my girls were in high school, I made lots of prom dresses for them, and for some of their close friends. I can't recall how much I was paid, but it was more fun to see their faces light up when they donned their dresses. (I got to keep the leftover fabric. (Can you say 'Crazy Quilt?)

I do some mending for family only, and like many of the grammas here, I can't say 'no' to a request from a grandchild. Oh, I also do favors for favorite nieces, but they return small favors at some time.

My favorite non-quilting sewing is that of creating christening gowns...my grandniece looked beautiful in hers in April. I did it as a gift...her mom looked for one for her, but they were quite expensive, so I offered to make one.
    Exactly! I normally make clothes for my daughters since they're tall and lanky and most clothes from the rack don't fit right but it's worth every moment when their eyes sparkle. But, also, I think it's important to remember that you offered to make the christening gown. Some others can just be so pushy. I've turned down a few family members when their requests got to be too crazy (like a full tuxedo for a family member...sorry, don't know how to tailor).

I don't have grandchildren (and according to my 6 year old daughter, I'll never get them from her, lol--"Boys are wierd and they don't know anything!") but when my girls want something special, I can't turn them down. But, now they both have their own Janome Quilter's Companion machines so I don't think they'll be needing me much longer. :cry: My oldest has already made herself a few shirts and one skirt and my youngest is getting the hang of sewing straight lines.

Blog Entries
    One year we had a warm spell in mid. Feb. here in Il. My youngest daughter had the bright idea that she and 4 of her friends needed "Valentine" shorts to wear to school. (Jr. High) I made the 5 pairs of shorts over the weekend in exchange for having meals prepared and kitchen cleaned - I thought that was a pretty fair exchange.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 LastLast