Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Just because I own a sewing Machine . . . .

skothing.....woulda have left them right on the floor!!! Like to wondereing if he would eventually walked out with tno pants on?? That takes the bull by the horn !

Last Spring I was asked by my 16 year old neighbor to teach her to quilt and I really was honored to. I had asked a friend to teach me to quilt 3 years ago but after one lesson, making one double nine patch block, she never seemed to have time to teach me anything else. Finally, last August, I had to have 2 surgeries, back to back, so I decided I would teach myself and I've made many mistakes along the way. So, when my neighbor called to ask me, I jumped at a chance to offer her what little knowledge I've acquired.

Blog Entries
    Oh, pah-leezzee!!! I feel all of your pain.

One and I mean ONE of my DH's motorcycle friends needed a patch sewn on his leather vest and asked me very nicely to do it. Sure, no problem.

Well, a couple of other guys were around and saw this and now want me to bring my precious little FW to motorcycle rallies to sew on patches for people I don't even know. I had to tell them that the machine broke sewing the leather. I feel terrible telling a lie - - I don't do that whenever possible and besides, now I worry that one of them will see that the machine is not broken. See what happens when I lie?

I love to sew for my grandkids, they appreciate it especially one of the boys. I made each of them a quilt and an afghan (knit). Other people I don't even show them a needle! What makes mad is that bad joke; If I bring you steel wool, will you knit me a stove. People like a good deal, I know some that expect their hairdresser girl friend to dye or set their hair on December 24th after a full day of work.

Dee
    Ditto on all remarks. I told a neighbor for 2 whole bedroom ensambles I would only charge her 800.00 - so much? Never heard from her again.

Amazing, isn't it...!!! I usually don't mind though, figure every time I sit at the machine makes me better....

I do mending a make things for my family, just because. My most recent request was from my DGD. I was showing her mother some purses I had made and Skyler sidled up to me and said, "Mema, will you make ME a purse?" Keeping in mind she is only 5 yrs old. I assured her I would and she continued, "I want it to be pink and have Ariel on it and it should have Princess Skyler written on it". LOL Yes, those were her EXACT words... What a sweetie. Of course, I have now made the purse to her specifications and will give it to her on my next visit. They live 3 hours away and I will be going there this weekend. I can hardly wait to see her face...

I do NOT sew. It is lucky that I can quilt, but I can't sew.

Need a zipper fixed, an alteration or repair? take it to the Dry Cleaners to have it replaced, usually for $10 or less (based on your location)I've already told 2 of my kids that one.

Sew on a button? ... here is a needle and thread, you are old enough to do it yourself ( I tell my adult daughters)

I only make quilts for family and I am so far behind! (I also will make one for friends, but only because I want to not because I'm asked to ... but I won't tell the friend until I present it to her .. oh, no, all my friends are quilting friends, they make their own quilts!)

For the grand kids I will do anything I can ... but I am still NOT a sewer, really I do not sew.

Trying to be nice, helpful etc., a few years ago I tried to help a young gal with a quilt that she completely botched up, couldn't even sew the blocks in a row. I ripped out, showed her how to do it, ended up doing it all while she watched me. The next thing I know she is bringing over her daughter's jeans asking me to hem the bottoms. Yep, I did it and gratefully I moved away before she asked me to do more. She really, really couldn't have done it herself, but I should have told her to take it to the cleaners for alterations! dum me.

Fabric? You wanna give me fabric I will gladly take it off your hands. Then if I find that I don't like it I will offer it on Freecycle. All my friends are quilters, they give me scraps etc and I keep it.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA

I hear it all the time. Everyone wants me to make them something. If I did everything people ask me to do that is all I would be doing for the next fifty years.

Blog Entries
    Reading over all these posts got me remembering - a newly divorced neighbor needed a tear in a denim jacket fixed - I repaired it for him and he gave me an old quilt top that had been his mother's. On the other hand, my niece was getting married and asked me to make a bridesmaid dress for her sister (another niece). I agreed, then ended up "having " to make one for her other bridesmaid because HER mother just couldn't do that. One of my daughters ushered at the wedding and my other daughter stood at the guest book. Both of my daughters got very nice thank you gifts from the bride. I GOT NOTHING!!! Guess I did get the shaft! I really don't mind doing small mending jobs for friends or family because I really like the challenge, but won't do zipper replacements. I could go on and on, but enough said!!

My DH deals with my quilting better if I mend alittle for him, usually it's just a hole in a pair of jeans.

Before I started quilting I made a LOT of clothes for husband, self and DC and DGC and my family. On occassion I get asked to hem or fit a prom dress, and I do it because I can and I love to sew. When I was young mother, my sewing for others helped to put food on our table and bought my new sewing machine.
    Now I spend alot of time quilting, so I don't mind a change of pace to keep me in the "sewing mood". And now I just want to quilt....my poor DH had 2 western flannel shirts I made him nearly three years ago, instead of taking time to make new, I turned the collars around so he could get a few more months out of them....ugh and they are his favorite shirts. Maybe by his birthday and christmas I will get some more made, it's not like I don't have the fabric, I own a small fabric store in basement.

I never minded putting zippers in, I got where I could do it in no time flat(don't tell anyone). I DON'T Sew for anyone if I don't have too! I certainly don't have my shingle out for business. I have been known to tell people that!

Blog Entries
    yes... once they find out I sew... then comes the questions; can you fix, when are you going to make me a quilt, etc. etc.
    why is that??????? :hunf:

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I have 2 friends that want me to make them something all the time. They will get something made for Christmas, but I don't take in bead spreads, or shorten shirts, or do car covers, or make something bigger. these are just a few things these ladies have asked for. I kindly remind them that sitting at the sewing machine causes me severe pain, so I only make quilts now. One of these ladies even went and bought fabric, and then told me, I bought fabric so you can make me a table cloth. I have not done the table cloth, I think she went and had to pay someone $25.00 to do it. I am just to busy right now, trying to get birthday and Christmas quilting done. God bless.

This is my response when someone asks if I will make them a quilt. Of course, I tell them they MUST get their fabric at the LQS and it will run them anywhere from $200 to $300, then I will need at least $250 for my labor and $150 for the long-arm quilter. Needless to say, they don't ask again.

In the same vein, if someone finds out that you quilt, do they ask you if your machine will embroider and can you put their name / logo / number, etc., on their shirt / hat / t-shirt?

Quote Originally Posted by Alisapao730
    Now, when someone asks, I politely say, "I'll be happy to make it for you. I'll send you the list of material's you need. Then you can go to the shop and pick out your fabric and everything that you would need to make the purse. When you have it, give it to me. The cost for making it will be $25.

Yes, I get that all the time. I only do alterations for my hairdressers family tho.

I do charge for making quilts for people too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Annz
    Not really. I have 3 sons so they only ask when they need something mended or a button put on.
    I will teach my son how to sew buttons so that I do not unleash another helpless male on the world.

Blog Entries
    He also knows how to cook and make his own bed from the mattress pad up. Laundry and buttons are next.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by polly13
    I make quilted wallets as special gifts. I have been requested more than once with the following line: "The quilted ones you buy aren't half as nice and they want $20. for them." They seem to think I will make one for free after receiving that compliment. Never seem to get around to it.
    Well, they've set your price point: $40.00 :P :lol:

Blog Entries
    I don't really mend clothes. I've done some minor alterations for my teenage daughter (shortened a skirt, fixed a zipper). But my time is usually worth more than the cost of replacement (especially jeans, if they're on sale). My rude and ungrateful stepson has shown up ON Halloween asking for alterations to whatever costume he bought at the party store. Last time, I used safety pins.

My daughter's school has sucked me in, however. I am their costume designer/creator. I've made about 40 medieval outfits, 5 Ancient Greek, and a dozen or so 1930's-era. Those required altering a whole lot of thrift store purchases.

On the up side, they are finally paying me a small stipend, and covering the cost of materials.

Blog Entries
    I once answered yes when asked to make a wedding dress for the little neighbor girl. She and I agreed that she would pay whatever she thought it was worth, (stupid, I know) She brought me white, heavy weight satin, and beautiful silver shot white lace. The pattern was a simple sheath dress, that she wanted lace puff sleeves, with satin cuffs. I am fast with a sewing machine, and had the dress done the next day. It was elegant! She took one look, and decided it was too plain. I told her to go get some trim she liked and I would add it. She came back hours later with the UGLIEST 1/2 inch round silver sequins, that she wanted sewn around the neck, hem and kick- pleat. (Oh, and could I get rid of the gray thread they were strung on?) I did it.....by hand, since my machine was made on this planet, and cannot sew over anything that huge. Her dress was NOT pretty any longer, but she was thrilled with it. She left the next day on her honeymoon. Can we say last minute anyone? When she came back a week later, she stopped by to pay me. Imagine my DELIGHT when she handed me $10! NO, I do not do command-sewing anymore!

Madame Kelly ... I hope you didn't give her a wedding gift, just a card saying that the gift was the dress and all the time you put into it.

$10 ... geesh, what the heck was she thinking?

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltilicious
    Quote Originally Posted by polly13
    I make quilted wallets as special gifts. I have been requested more than once with the following line: "The quilted ones you buy aren't half as nice and they want $20. for them." They seem to think I will make one for free after receiving that compliment. Never seem to get around to it.
    Well, they've set your price point: $40.00 :P :lol:
    I LOVE YOUR COMEBACK. I'll try that one!

I like the answer that my sil used....

My machine doesn't know how to do that.

Rita

Blog Entries
    I have also made some purses. I have had people tell me " you could sell these and make money." I then tell them that I do this for fun. If I started making things to sell then it would become a job. I do not want to feel pressured to finish something in a certain amount of time. That takes all the enjoyment of it. I do not mind mending things for others from time to time if it is fixable. I do not do alterations at all.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast