Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Just bought a new sewing machine >

Just bought a new sewing machine

Just bought a new sewing machine

Old 04-13-2009, 12:41 PM

I believe her name is Charlotte. It came to me when I was making coffee Saturday morning. That was one of my grandmother's middle names (LaVirgie Mary Charlotte) and her mother's first name.

I just love it. That nice hum when it's going full speed... which is really fast compared to my old Kenmore and I had to lower the speed until I got used to it.

I love raising and lowering the presser foot with a tap on the foot pedal. don't have to take my hands off the fabric and it's especially useful when a 1/4" seam gets flipped back the wrong way. Just stop, tap it (I like needle down so it holds my place), lift the fabric up a bit so it flips back the right way, and start sewing again. I love the "Fix" setting so I don't need to backspace at the beginning or end of a seam, it automatically locks it.

I'm sure I could go on and on. I'll find out tonight when I start sewing the purse together that I'm making for my daughter how it does on other projects and thick material.

Old 04-13-2009, 02:45 PM

[quote=
I was told that my Pfaff did not require oiling. But I found that strange. Your argument makes perfect sense. So, without instructions to oil my Pfaff, how would I safely go about doing it? are all machines oiled the same way? This might sound like a stupid question, but I don't want to damage my Pfaff by oiling it "Wrong". Thanks, in advance, for your advise.
nita[/quote]

My sis and I were both told the same thing (for Pfaffs). Then she got the quilter which is also a Pfaff. When reading in the booklet, she discovered 3 places on it. So then we got to thinking about our own. She got out the booklet for hers and read where to oil it. Mine was getting noisy, so I thought if those two need a spot of oil, I would oil mine. Tada--quiet as could be.

So this is what we do. Remove bobbin/bobbin case and thread from needle. Put one drop of oil where the bobbin case goes, then briefly run the machine to distribute the oil. Wipe off any excess oil. Before sewing, sew on a scrap to make sure there is no oil to get on your project. Another thing you can do is google your machine and see if you can find a manuel for it or call your Pfaff dealer to make sure. Hope this helps you.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:44 PM
Power Poster

Ninnie here green with envy! You go girl and have a fun time! Someday...........
Old 04-13-2009, 05:08 PM

Enjoy your new machine, and try new things, following the manual/instruction book. In the long run you have made a good investment. It does not generally pay to purchase the simplist or plainest model of anything, and with experience in using equipment, one can then buy the "higher" end models at a later time. I have one simple sewing one, with no zigzag, etc, a 1960 Necchi that sews well for basic work, but it is nice to have a "mid-range" machine for more than that.

As for oiling, follow manufactuer's instructions. My Janome 1998 is serviced every two years by a trusted repairman, and oiled then.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:08 AM

I dont have to tap the footpedal to raise the foot. It automatically raises when you stop sewing. I dont understand why this is done.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:05 AM

I am completely in love with the Vikings. I have an Emerald 183, which I love. I would love to get one with the embroidery features, but the timing isn't right. You will love your machine!
Old 04-15-2009, 06:58 AM
Banned

enjoy the new machine. i've yet to take the leap into a more expensive machine.

there's so many great ones on the market its hard to decide on a brand and model and don't even get me going on how expensive they are.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:54 AM

Congratulations on your new machine. I have never had a Viking but my sister, who is an expert seamstress, has used one since the 1950's and loves them. She got my mom's viking also when she passed away because hers was finally giving out. She even sews all her own coats, upholstery fabrics, hats, purses, you name it on hers.
The only thing I have been told about the viking and it has nothing to do with the machine is that the new portable bobbin winders do not work for the viking bobbins. This information came to me from a friend who has a viking and so I believe it to be true. If you don't use the "SideWinder" you don't need to worry about it.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by shaverg
I don't know about the sapphire, but my friend just bought the Viking QuilterII, I think that is what it is called and loves it. Viking is still built in Sweden, which is a good thing. Now most of Berninas are put together in China. She paid $1199.
Again your information isn't quite accurate. Vikings are Designed and Engineered in Sweden, but manufactured in China in a factory supervised by Viking. Even there own web pages go out of their way not say Built in Sweden anymore...

Having said that, who cares where any of them are built? the only consideration should be the quality and performance of the machine and those things can be good, bad or indifferent no matter what the country of origin and are more related to the standards of the company overseeing the production.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:58 AM

i love my viking #1+. i've had it almost 20 years and the only problems i ever had were my own fault.

what were you looking for that you think this doesn't have? was there something else you wanted? if it fills your needs and you think it runs smoothly and the lessons are unlimited then why are you second-guessing yourself. sometimes our first instincts are the ones we SHOULD go with. if there is a service center nearby, then i don't think you have anything to worry about. in fact, it sounds like you did good.

i think that most people who review online are the dissatisfied ones. the ones that are deliriously happy don't bother. so you can't tell from reviewers.

just enjoy and feel lucky.