Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is it just me or........? >

Is it just me or........?

Is it just me or........?

Old 03-11-2011, 09:35 AM
Power Poster

I love to cut fabric too, but if I love a whole line of fabric, (such as Moda's Bliss...) and want to have a taste of something out of that whole line, precuts are a good way to sample it, without having to buy so many pieces of expensive yardage. I saw an adorable pinwheel quilt on this board, which gave me an idea of what to do with some charm packs. I got a really good deal on 3 sets of Bliss charm packs, from a seller on Etsy.

I love Etsy for quilting fabric!
Old 03-11-2011, 09:39 AM

I tried a jelly roll, and they were cut so uneven I had to recut them all anyway; Why bother? Thats was a first and last for me
Old 03-11-2011, 09:42 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

I have made a quilt out of 3 charm packs and a matching jelly roll. The fabrics were perfect. It came out really nice. perfect for the daughter. I l am not as good as some of you more experienced quilters so it took the matchy guess work out of the equation. love using yardage too but for this project-it was wonderful!
Old 03-11-2011, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by earthwalker
I prewash so pre-cuts are a bit of a pest to do. I also like to buy yardage it generally works out cheaper.
cheaper, you bet. Just figure up how much yardage you get and how much it cost for them to cut up these little pices that they couldn't sell other wise. They should sell for less, not more
Old 03-11-2011, 09:45 AM

I don't buy them because I like to prewash everything and the they'd shrink to odd sizes and ravel.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:50 AM

I've purchased charm packs from Connecting Threads, their batiks, Mirage and solids to use as "paint chips" when looking to find the right color for a quilt. I find it very useful and can order the correct yardage as needed.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:55 AM

I would cut my own. I am to picky about my pattern of material.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:00 AM

I prefer to cut my own. When you do the math, the pre-cuts are very expensive per yard.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:03 AM
Power Poster

I'm just too cheap. I think I figured out the per yard price once and it was crazy. Like 3X the price of yardage! I couldn't justify it in my mind. Besides I adore the process I have with fabric. Bring it home. Admire it. Pre wash it then fall in love with it all over again while ironing it, muttering to my self how much I love this fabric then seeing what I have already in my stash to go with it to see if I want to set it aside for a project or just put it into stash. So no, you are not the only one. The closest I come to buying precuts is FQ bundles and only when on a closeout sale price.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:14 AM

I cannot say I like or dislike using pre-cuts. I think for some, beginners, it is something you can get and make something that coordinates and make it quickly. They can build confidences in new quilters learning how to coordinate colors and patterns.

Most pre-cuts are of good quaility material and shrinkage is minimal, so after making a top it can be washed and any shrinkage would take place then.

Washing material is great in larger pieces, especially dark colors that you fear will bleed, but I have used the color guard cloths and have so far not had an issue with the fading of dark to light colors.

Pre-cuts are higher in price for convenience of course. Knowing what you are making and the amount you need is essential, should you need more later puts a hold on finishing your project unless you are able to subsitute! But all in all, pre-cuts can be fun and a learning tool.... just my thoughts mind you :) .