Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is it just me or........? >

Is it just me or........?

Is it just me or........?

Old 03-11-2011, 06:51 AM

I have no trouble with pre-cuts and they make quick work for some projects
Old 03-11-2011, 07:05 AM

I do buy fat quarters. It gives me more variety for some things. But I can pick them out myself. The others I can cut myself from the leftovers of other quilts. Then they are colors and fabrics I like plus why pay the extra for someone else to cut them up.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:05 AM

Precuts are GREAT for a lot of projects, and that's coming from an old-timer (25 yrs) They are quick and fun. You get to see and use the whole line of fabric without all the expense. I've never had a problem with a precut.
I think the BEST thing about them is bringing a lot of younger people into quilting ... my DD and nieces love them and are sewing up a storm ! I've been teaching friends of theirs how to make their first quilts, pillows, place mats etc It takes away the intimidation factor vs. cutting into yards of fabric. They are loving it :)
Old 03-11-2011, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Hosta
I don't really trust the fact that they could be cut correctly to me it seems there could be mistakes in cutting width or length so I won't buy them
I've bought them now for 3-4 yrs and never had a single problem ... I buy mostly Moda, always good quality. Try them, you might like it ! :)
Old 03-11-2011, 07:12 AM

I haven't bought any of the pre-cut fabrics. They just seem way to expensive to me. I would rather buy and cut my own because I never know what I am going to make next.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Pollyv9
I haven't bought any of the pre-cut fabrics. They just seem way to expensive to me. I would rather buy and cut my own because I never know what I am going to make next.
Precuts are a LITTLE more $ than buying yardage IF you buy them at full price, but if you catch them on sales they are actually LESS $ than buying yardage ... Plus you have ALL the fabrics in the line :)
Old 03-11-2011, 07:24 AM

I'm a pre-cut junkie right now. I love how it's all put together for you with all the fabrics. I've bought several from the Fat Quarter shop and it makes shopping online easy. Of course I'm pretty much a newbie, so ask me in 5 years.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by SueDor
Same here. I feel as if I am paying for someone else to cut the material. Plus I want to see the material before I buy it
Me too!
Old 03-11-2011, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Cindy2sew
I cant bring myself to use charms, honey buns, turnovers,...you get the idea, pre-cut fabric.
I guess I am a control freak. Anything that takes the process out of my hands makes me uncomfortable. Also not having 'free-rein' with my own fabric choices bothers me.

Am I the only one who feels this way?
Me too. I don't get the point of pre-cuts. I can understand if cutting is burdensome for some reason (tedium or pain), but I don't mind it.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by luv-e
I guess I'm the "weird one".... I bought a turnover of Christmas Fabric and I love it!!!! I did the Stack and Whack from MQC on you-tube..... I love the way it is turning out...... I'm not able to afford to buy 42 different fabrics and this way is cheaper for me and no scraps!!
I'm the same way. I don't really have a stash so I buy what I can. I have gotten some really good deals on moda charms at the local shop. I got charm packs of 25 for $2.xx!! So, I bought all 5 she had! :) They are soft pastels and I have 3 different people that are having babies around me so....this will be perfect! I know of 2 that are having girls so this will be perfect.

I got a jelly roll a while back and tried doing the jelly roll quilt like what was posted but mine didn't turn out like everyone else's. So, It's all sewn together and I am trying to figure out what to do with it. I need to post and get some ideas. It's just terrible. The colors are not all mixed up. Don't know how I messed it up but like I said-just terrible!

That's all the precuts I have bought though. Generally they are very expensive too-unless on sale.