Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Just passing on info re: charity quilts/blankets >

Just passing on info re: charity quilts/blankets

Just passing on info re: charity quilts/blankets

Old 08-16-2014, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Amarillo19 View Post
I've noticed it's harder to find boy/teen themed fabric. There are tons of girly fabrics.
Think Plaid Fabrics, Crayon colors, darker colors like Forest Green, Rust, Deep Gold, Deeper Blues,Solids combined with Plaids or Geometric prints... and There is always the Hunter's Camo prints like Mossy Oak etc.. Stripes, Race Cars, Tractors, Horses, Cow Boys, Trucks Sail boats, Canoes, Camping Fabric or Theme. Fishing Theme Fabric.( can be the print or pieced to look like a Pick up or Dump Truck or Tractor or Jeep, Fishing Boat or even a Big Fish ! etc..)
Old 08-16-2014, 12:52 PM

Just thought of something else that would make a boy Quilt... Blocks or Rectangle Brick Blocks or large Stripes... also when Quilting do geometric shapes and lines.. curvy quilting seems girly
Old 08-16-2014, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Jean in Ohio13452 View Post
Think Plaid Fabrics, Crayon colors, darker colors like Forest Green, Rust, Deep Gold, Deeper Blues,Solids combined with Plaids or Geometric prints... and There is always the Hunter's Camo prints like Mossy Oak etc.. Stripes, Race Cars, Tractors, Horses, Cow Boys, Trucks Sail boats, Canoes, Camping Fabric or Theme. Fishing Theme Fabric.( can be the print or pieced to look like a Pick up or Dump Truck or Tractor or Jeep, Fishing Boat or even a Big Fish ! etc..)
For boys/teen/man: Also think John Deere fabrics, superhero/comic book characters, camo fabrics, geometric prints, bug/lizard prints, sports themed prints (ie soccer, baseball), football teams, college sports teams, pirates, skulls, trucks, cars, snack food fabrics, space themed fabrics, airplanes, trains, firemen themed or emergency provider themed along with the wild flame prints, dragons, lighthouses. These boy/male themed fabrics should be easily found.

I just made 3 donation pillowcases, two are sports themed and one with skulls (for a teen boy). I have John Deere fabric (trying to figure out a pattern for this), pirates fabrics, race car flannel and plaid fabrics for donation quilts. I bought some skateboard geometric print fabric from Hancocks for teen boy quilts for donations.

Last edited by Havplenty; 08-16-2014 at 01:37 PM.
Old 08-16-2014, 02:12 PM

For the hospital that incinerates unwanted quilts (horrors!) - the nurse or assistant could take photos of what's available and show them first, then the family could decide if they did or didn't want one. I hate to think of all that work and love being thrown away

Margaret F
Old 08-16-2014, 06:45 PM
Power Poster

thanks for sharing!!!
Old 08-16-2014, 07:01 PM
Power Poster

boy themes can be hard, but i like to do pirate, trucks and cars. all you really need is one theme and you can add plain fabs to match the colors. I seem to do more boy, but maybe b/c i have a son 24, and 4 nephews.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Suz View Post
I make Quilts of Valor and the very last thing I do is put the quilt in the washer and dryer. They area going into a hospital setting.

I would think that newborn babies should also receive laundered quilts just for the safety issue. I know most of us are careful, but many of us do not prewash our fabrics and we have no idea who handled the fabric before us. I would err on the side of cleanliness, particularly for the newborns.
I would tend to think that the hospital might need to wash them before using them--all that come in.
Old 08-17-2014, 04:07 AM

For those making children's quilts were you aware Quilter's Dream makes a batting especially for children and elderly that is made from NATURALLY fire retardant fibers (NO CHEMICALS). It's called Dream Angel. I haven't gotten to the point where I'm making charity quilts yet but when I do this is the batting I will choose.
Old 08-17-2014, 04:53 AM

I used to make Linus quilts and had to drive 60 miles to deliver them. That co-ordinater quit and no replacement was found so no more Linus quilts. Our local health department runs the WIC program. They are delighted with any quilts that I take to them. Might be another spot for people to consider as a donation spot, also, local Salvation Army.
Old 08-17-2014, 03:09 PM

And for boys, don't forget the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, My Grands & Great love them.