Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Just passing on info re: charity quilts/blankets >

Just passing on info re: charity quilts/blankets

Just passing on info re: charity quilts/blankets

Old 08-14-2014, 12:24 PM

Default Just passing on info re: charity quilts/blankets

I have seen where quilts/sewists make blankets or quilts for the neo-natal intensive care units at hospitals. I thought maybe it had to be a structured effort, but I called my local hospital, explained what I was trying to find out if they had a coordinator or requirements for making the blankets/quilts.

I was told they have people who make them and just bring them in. They will be taken to the right place for the babies. Also no size or material requirements.

Just passing this on in case there might be some of you interested, and like me, didn't know how involved it would be.

Of course, other hospitals may have requirements for the donated blankets/quilts.

By the way, I am aware of Project Linus but I ended up having to drive about forty five minutes (or more) to drop the blankets/quilts off to the designated location.

Last edited by slbram17; 08-14-2014 at 12:27 PM.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:28 PM

Good info. Thanks
Old 08-14-2014, 12:44 PM

Some hospitals do have requirements, so it is a good idea to do as you did -- check with them first.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:49 PM

I have been giving some quilts to my local children's receiving home. There were no requirements but suggested child appropriate fabric and patterns.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:31 PM
RST

My son was recently hospitalized for 5 months at a major Children's hospital. While we were there, many nurses commented on the various quilts and pillows he has, and it led to conversations about donated items. Many times they told me that they are always hesitant to give the donated quilts to families because of hospital policy that mandates that if the family doesn't like or want to keep an item, it has to be incinerated. Once it's in the room, it's considered "given", so they can't offer choices of color or style.

Those nurses who are quilters themselves and are aware of the time and money invested in making a quilt were the ones who had the most trouble with dealing with donation quilts. One told me that she would make kid and teen friendly quilts to "trade" with donations that weren't maybe so appealing, and she's take the donations to a nursing home or other charity where the style or fabrics were more likely to be appreciated.

My son was the recipient of some really fun, cheerful pillow cases as well as a fleece blanket-- and it is a lovely thing to do for kids who are hospitalized. It's just that some of the donations are maybe not carefully considered for appropriateness.

Another point that the nurses told me was that they get a very high percentage of baby and toddler girly themed quits, but far fewer that are gender neutral, boy themed, or teen appropriate, and that those are always very appreciated.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:41 PM
Power Poster

Currently my daughter's triplets are in NICU and I am trying to find out if they have requirements. She and I thought the new parents would love a quilt for their little precious ones. It is stressful to have a baby in NICU and it means a lot to receive a quilt for your baby.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:54 PM

As an active Linus quilt creator I am well aware of the need for boy and teenage appropriate items. I work with the Chapter in my county and see how many girl friendly items come in. I guess it is natural for most of the quilters involved are women. Having had two stepsons who had their share of visits to the ER, I am aware of just how many boys end up in the hospital. Unless I fall madly in love with a fabric for a girls quilt I tend to make the majority of my Linus donations with a boy in mind. I also make, usually fleece blankets, that would be useful to a teen sized boy. As a wife, sister of three brothers and a stepmother of two sons, I know just how much the male gender really appreciate the attention.
Old 08-14-2014, 02:38 PM
Power Poster

thanks for sharing the info
Old 08-15-2014, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by mpspeedy2 View Post
As an active Linus quilt creator I am well aware of the need for boy and teenage appropriate items. I work with the Chapter in my county and see how many girl friendly items come in. I guess it is natural for most of the quilters involved are women. Having had two stepsons who had their share of visits to the ER, I am aware of just how many boys end up in the hospital. Unless I fall madly in love with a fabric for a girls quilt I tend to make the majority of my Linus donations with a boy in mind. I also make, usually fleece blankets, that would be useful to a teen sized boy. As a wife, sister of three brothers and a stepmother of two sons, I know just how much the male gender really appreciate the attention.
I try to make an effort to make more teen boy blankets for Project Linus, too. So easy to make cute girl baby blankets, but the boys need blankets, too!
Old 08-15-2014, 08:28 AM
Power Poster

My sew group makes quilts for the foster children in our town. Teen boy quilts are the most needed. These kids have almost nothing to call their own. Sad but many foster parents don't seem to give the kids anything of their own to have.