Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Just passing on info re: charity quilts/blankets >

Just passing on info re: charity quilts/blankets

Just passing on info re: charity quilts/blankets

Old 08-17-2014, 03:53 PM

Our local hospital also places quilts partially over the incubators to "homey up" the intensive care for premies. It also blocks a little light.
Old 08-17-2014, 06:30 PM

Quilts for neonatal units came up at a program committee meeting this afternoon. Sadly, it has been reported that local hospitals in the Finger Lakes, including Strong Memorial and Golisano Children's, do not accept donations of any fabric items as they do not know where it has been our what contaminants it might have been around (particularly smoke or pet dander). Although I was disappointed, particularly as our younger daughter spent some time there, I do understand there need for caution.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:00 PM

As a retired nurse I understand the caution about allergens. All donations should be washed in hypoallergenic non-perfumed detergents and dried without dryer sheets.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:24 AM
Power Poster

Several years ago my sister and her husband did foster care. Their second placement consisted of a 6 yr old and 3 yr old. They both came with clothes that were too small, including coats that did not fit and it was heart of winter. They came with only their clothes on their body. The little boy had shoes he had to curl his feet into and leave them open to fit. That was it. She asked about their clothing allotment and was told it was used up by the other foster families. The children had specific needs so they had gone through several families before being placed with my sister. When they were moved again by the state, 1 1/2 yrs later, my sister send along several bags of clothes and personal items. I learned allot about fostering and from what I saw it was a labor of love, at least for my sister and husband.

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
My sew group makes quilts for the foster children in our town. Teen boy quilts are the most needed. These kids have almost nothing to call their own. Sad but many foster parents don't seem to give the kids anything of their own to have.