Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Just who was it that thought??? >

Just who was it that thought???

Just who was it that thought???

Old 07-26-2011, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by tammy cosper
That putting a speed control on a sewing machine was going to be a great idea?! That is something that I have hated about the newer machines since they started doing it. Because no matter how far down you push that peddle it's only going to go just so fast. Now I can see doing this for a child who's learning to sew. But for those that have been sewing for a while,we like to sit down at the machine and take off.lol Thats one reason I really love the older machines. NO speed controls. You are in control!!.lol
Do you all agree? How do you like having a speed control?
My machine has an adjustment on the panel to change that speed. I love it because if I am embroidering I want to go slower and if I am quilting I can go faster. If you don't like it then use an old machine.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:39 AM
Power Poster

I never use it. The only time it has come in handy is when my now 14 year old was 3 years old and sat on my lap sewing her frist quilt.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:40 AM

I have a Janome and it has a slide bar that you can control the highest speed it will go, I still have to use the foot pedal but you can turn it down or turn it up to full speed. Like a throttle control or governor if you slow it down it will not go any faster. OR put it on high and put the pedal to the metal and go go go... I love sewing pedal to the metal...
Old 07-26-2011, 04:43 AM

Like Holice, I prefer to control my speed myself.
Sue
Old 07-26-2011, 04:44 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sewcrafty
I love the option of speed control. I've use it for many different applications for example - FMQ'ing
ditto
Old 07-26-2011, 04:57 AM

Wow! It's been a long time since I have sewn anything except an occasional mend. I've done alot of cross stitch and crochet in the past years. I started my hand stitch hexagon quilt two years ago but, of course, that hand stitched. Since my hex quilt top is almost complete I started searching around for my next project and even though my sewing machine is over 30 years old, Nelly Bell runs like a dream. However, Nelly doesn't have the bells and whistles that I'm learning I might need in order to start a quilting hobby. Soooo, I've been looking around, shopping, searching the web for suggestions for a new machine. I've learned alot. I never realize that sewing machines have hundreds of features that are specific to quilting. Amongst the important features, I'm learning, that I should look for on a new machine, IS the speed control. One of my projects that I have going now is a Sunbonnet Sue quilt that I'm going to machine applique and I think the speed control is going to be a great asset to making my quilt look really nice. I'm really new to quilting and I'm learning alot from the folks here on the QB. I thank you all so much for all of the infomation, tips and tricks I've learned over the past month. So, YES! I do believe speed control is a very good idea. If your machine isn't running fast enough for your particular project, simply increase the speed control...I think speed control is great! ! !
Old 07-26-2011, 05:07 AM

I don`t have speed control, but I believe it would save me a lot of rip out time. I`m going to looking to getting one.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:19 AM

I have speed control and I love it. I can set it to go as fast as I can go or slow it down, for when I am doing detail work. Sometimes my feet do not cooperate and I can get steadier speed that way.

I do not know how all machines operate, but I have a slide bar that I can set, so I do not understand the problem. If you do not like it, just set it on high and go. You do not have to use this feature.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:40 AM

I wish my new Pfaff had a speed contriol, because there is only one spedd on it and that speed is slow! I really wish it would sew faster!
My old Golden Touch & Sew (from the 60's) had two speeds: fast and faster!
Old 07-26-2011, 06:47 AM
Power Poster

Love my speed control! I like a medium speed for FMQ and a little slower for blanket stitching around applique. Chain piecing is at top speed.