Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
King Size Quilt Ready for Quilting (& questions) >

King Size Quilt Ready for Quilting (& questions)

King Size Quilt Ready for Quilting (& questions)

Old 07-16-2012, 08:01 AM

Default King Size Quilt Ready for Quilting (& questions)

Last year someone posted a quilt that I completely fell in love with. I printed out pictures and recreated it in EQ7. I would love to thank the original quilter and give her complete credit where due (Please speak up).

Now as I prepare myself for quilting on my Innova I have questions. I have spent a long time looking at finished quilts (i.e. Charisma's) and I notice that there are many different battings mentioned. I especially am curious as to how you decide to use 2 battings and how you keep them from wrinkling underneath. I do see that with 2 battings the quilting is much more pronounced. Do you float this type of quilt or are you using all the bars? This is a king size quilt I plan to use on my bed, does this change the batting decision? I currently own some wool batting, cotton batting and Hobbs polydown, decisions, decisions. I never realized how expensive the batting can become.

P.S. My cats just love the new quilt. I tried to fix the red eye on one of them, therefore the weird eyes.
Attached Thumbnails 3-cats-my-quilt-pse.jpg  
Old 07-16-2012, 08:48 AM

Great looking quilt. I love that so many of us have cats! Anyway, do you have a pattern name or anything to go by?
Old 07-16-2012, 09:07 AM
Power Poster

I also have an Innova. I haven't used 2 batts, but I'm confused by your question about the bars. I always float the batting, would never put it on a bar, but maybe that's not what your question meant anyway. I float the top of the quilt top, and lately I have been floating the bottom of the quilt top as well, although sometimes I do roll it. With the Innova there's no problem keeping the batting smooth, since with each roll of the quilt you can lift the front bar (assuming you're using it) and smooth out the batting, remove any excess threads from the underside of the top, etc.

I started out using W&N for every quilt, but lately I have been using Warm & Bright, which is a poly batting made by the Warm Company (makers of W&N) and I really like it! It gives great definition to the stitches and is very smooth and even, unlike some poly battings.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:22 AM

Beautiful and I love the colors.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I also have an Innova. I haven't used 2 batts, but I'm confused by your question about the bars. I always float the batting, would never put it on a bar, but maybe that's not what your question meant anyway. I float the top of the quilt top, and lately I have been floating the bottom of the quilt top as well, although sometimes I do roll it. With the Innova there's no problem keeping the batting smooth, since with each roll of the quilt you can lift the front bar (assuming you're using it) and smooth out the batting, remove any excess threads from the underside of the top, etc.

I started out using W&N for every quilt, but lately I have been using Warm & Bright, which is a poly batting made by the Warm Company (makers of W&N) and I really like it! It gives great definition to the stitches and is very smooth and even, unlike some poly battings.
I use the Warm and Bright but it seems so much heavier than the WN. It does quilt up nice tho. I also float my tops (since this is how I was taught) so you can smooth out batting and remove strings if needed.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:46 AM

Most often the double batt is used on show quilts. The combo I have heard most often is a wool top layer with a cotton or cotton-blend bottom layer. The cotton layer gives stability so the quilt hangs nicely, while the wool 'puffs up' to show off the quilting better.

I would be afraid it would get pretty heavy on a king-sized bed quilt, and it might not drape as nicely either. Perhaps you could try a small wallhanging or lap quilt with the double batt to see if you like the finished result?

Whatever you decide, your quilt is beautiful and will be even more so once you've quilted it!
Old 07-16-2012, 05:58 PM

I guess the biggest question is what is your climate...do you want a warm quilt...two battings will most likely be warm. You may find that you could get the definition you want with one layer of wool, dream puff or the highest loft quilters dream cotton that they make for long arm use...is that the deluxe? I don't think you will have trouble with the batting getting scrunched if you do a full float of the top with two battings which will allow you to adjust with each roll. I baste the sides as I go(as I advance) which allows the leeway to adjust.I wouldn't use warm and natural in this specific situation as it tends to provide less definition and is a flatter/less lofty batting. you could use a less dense quilting scheme to maintain the loft you are looking for. Very nice job on the top...it's beautiful

Last edited by Xtgirl; 07-16-2012 at 06:01 PM.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:05 PM

very pretty!