Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Knee lift versus foot pedal >

Knee lift versus foot pedal

Knee lift versus foot pedal

Old 08-18-2011, 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by Linda B
I think I've finally found a way to keep my foot pedal from creeping all over the place (industrial strength velcro!!), but that problem has made me wonder about using the knee lift that came with my machine. I know my Mother always used a knee lift. I'd be really interested to know what you all use and why you prefer your choice.
i have never tried the knee lift on my Janome 6600, my friend uses hers and loves it! Heck,i don't even use the foot pedal!
Old 08-18-2011, 03:00 AM

Just talking with a girlfriend that I need to start using the knee lift! I have it and have never used it. lol
Old 08-18-2011, 03:01 AM
tmg

I love my knee lift!
Old 08-18-2011, 03:22 AM

I wouldn't do with out my knee lift.Two hands to hold fabric and you need to raise the presser foot.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:48 AM

A knee lift is just that - a lever at the knee to raise the foot.I did use a couple of machines that substituted a knee press for the foot pedal and found it less tiring than pressing down on the pedal.
I don't need a knee lift on my machine as I have it programmed to raise the foot when I tap the pedal.It's the same for lowering the foot as well.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by Linda B
I think I've finally found a way to keep my foot pedal from creeping all over the place (industrial strength velcro!!), but that problem has made me wonder about using the knee lift that came with my machine. I know my Mother always used a knee lift. I'd be really interested to know what you all use and why you prefer your choice.
My mother's old Singer (late 50s model) had a knee lift and I have never really gotten used to a foot pedal! Sadly, my current machine only has a foot pedal (which may have something to do with my strong preference for hand sewing).

With my mom's old machine, working the knee lift meant sitting with your thigh against the lever and then sort of rolling your thigh into it or away from it to operate it. Didn't take much movement in either direction to make a difference.

The machine sped up smoothly and slowed down smoothly, it was very responsive. But that may have been due to the design and quality. It was one of those machines that weighed not much under a bajillion pounds because it was all metal and it could sew through anything with the right needle, even multiple layers of leather or canvas. In fact, my mom made a tent with leather reinforced stress points on that machine!

Since you've never used one, just remember it's like anything else, there is a learning curve. Grab some big scraps and just practice sewing with the knee lift until it feels natural. If you're goal oriented, I suggest sewing 200 seams (of 12 inches or more) before deciding whether you like it or not.

OOOPS! I read on and realised you were talking about the thingie to lift the presser foot.

Nevermind.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:03 AM

I have never used a knee lift except on older machines.I have a Bernina 230 pe edition now and if anyone has one that will fit mine,I may be interested in it. Pm me.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:07 AM

Got a knee lift with my new Pfaff I got a couple months ago. Never even tried it, but now after reading all of these threads, I am going to give it a whirl!
Old 08-18-2011, 04:11 AM

I have the Janome 9000 with the knee lift only for raising the foot. I love it. It's great for chain piecing etc. I use it all the time.
Mine is not for sewing, but the newer machines might be for sewing, I don't know.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:13 AM

Old fashion I'm a foot gal!