Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Knee lift versus foot pedal >

Knee lift versus foot pedal

Knee lift versus foot pedal

Old 08-18-2011, 04:19 AM

Worked on a design floor and all the machines had them (and the samplemakers used them), so thought I'd like the feature, but never use it.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:28 AM

the knee lift, allows you to keep both hands free, for sewing, etc....the stop/ start button, is even better, I use both, and can't begin to tell you how glad I am, that I took the time to learn the stop/ start button. I practiced with some scraps, to learn it, and the speeds. I used a slower speed to learn, then as you are comfortable, increase the speed...it really doesn't take long to learn this, and is so well worth it!
Old 08-18-2011, 05:15 AM

My very favorite machine (in the whole world) is my Elna Quilters Pro. It has a knee lift and I am so used to it, it has become automatic. It would be a feature I would always look for if I ever get another machine.

Here's my only problem. I am sooooooooo used to it, that I don't want to use another machine, even though I have a small, light weight, Brother to take to classes, sew-ins, I don't want to take it because it doesn't have the knee lift, but my knee keeps looking for it.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by bonnyh
Here's my only problem. I am sooooooooo used to it, that I don't want to use another machine, even though I have a small, light weight, Brother to take to classes, sew-ins, I don't want to take it because it doesn't have the knee lift, but my knee keeps looking for it.
I have the same problem. When I take my smaller machine to classes, leg is always moving but the foot isn't . . . duh... no knee lift. I LOVE my knee lift (third hand) on my Janome 6500!!!

I also learned to sew with a knee control.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:33 AM

I had a Bernina 9000 years ago with a knee lift and used it so much that I wouldn't buy another machine without one. I have the Horizon now and always use the knee lift. They can be adjusted to make them easier to use. Someone said they were too short to use one, I'm 5' and have it adjusted so it hits my leg where it is comfortable.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:37 AM

Bought a 301A in cabinet and didn't know until recently it had a knee peddle...I love it...use it all the time. I find I can control the speed better with it versus the foot
Old 08-18-2011, 05:41 AM

Location: Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!

Originally Posted by Snorky Lvs2Quilt
The knee lift on my machine just lifts the foot up and down. It doesn't control the machine. My mom had a Kenmore sewing machine that had a knee control that did make the sewing machine go. Hers never had a foot pedal.
My son's and daughter's machines have the knee control ~ yes, there is a foot pedal on theirs, the knee control presses the foot petal, which is mounted up under the table. My son just asked "mom, can you put Godzilla's pedal on the floor" ~ his leg is getting tired when he sews, his thigh was hurting :) LOL he's 11
Old 08-18-2011, 05:47 AM

I can't use either the knee lift or the knee control. I had a knee replacement about 6 months ago, and the area of my knee that would touch the controller is totally numb so I tell when I'm touching it!! I have the little needle up/down button on my Janome, so I use that and the foot pedal.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:52 AM

Having never used one it took me awhile to even start using the kneelift that came with my Janome 6600. Why did I wait so long? I LOVE IT! I use my right foot and knee for the foot control and kneelift since I'm not coordinated enough to use both legs. My foot control also doesn't scoot around thanks to a small mat I purchased to prevent it.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:59 AM

I have a Janome 6500 and took a class from a gal in our Guild that knew a lot about that perticular machine. One of the first things she had us do was learn to use our left foot on the foot pedal and use the knee lift with the right leg. It was a little awkward at first but it didn't take too long to get used to it. Being able to lift the needle without using my hands is very freeing.