Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Kraft-Tex paper fabric - anybody played with this yet? >

Kraft-Tex paper fabric - anybody played with this yet?

Kraft-Tex paper fabric - anybody played with this yet?

Old 03-12-2015, 09:20 AM

I will definitely post pictures...the hard part is finding time! I'm so tired after work I usually don't do anything crafty on weekdays, and this weekend we're starting a partial remodel on the kitchen so....we'll see how long before I get any play time.
Old 03-12-2015, 09:50 AM
Power Poster

How fun! I just pre ordered the two new colors from Amazon. This will work great with some of my the applique dies.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:55 AM

I'm wondering if this is like tyvek? You know the tough envelope stuff?
Old 03-12-2015, 01:38 PM
Power Poster

I ordered some because I haven't seen it in person. I would rather know for myself if it will work for me. I think it's great new products are available for us to try.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:57 PM
Power Poster

please show us what you do with it.
Old 03-12-2015, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by mom-6 View Post
I'm wondering if this is like tyvek? You know the tough envelope stuff?
It doesn't FEEL like Tyvek. It feels like really thick kraft paper, almost like cardstock - not slick like Tyvek envelopes are. I'm not actually sure what it's made out of, though, and the label on the bolt doesn't say - it could very well have some Tyvek fibers in it.

I'm home now so I cut off a little piece about 2"x1/2" to keep here at my desk to worry at and see how it wears.

I can't tear it no matter what I do, and I have pretty strong hands. I might cut a bigger strip and see if I wrap it up in my hands and really go Hercules on it if that'll let me rip it but so far I can't get a tear started, not even with digging my thumbnail into the stress point. I don't think I'll be using my fabric scissors to cut this stuff!!

If I scratch at the cut edges I can get a few little fibers to come off, but not much; the edge just gets soft and flexible instead of shredding off. The more I flex and twist it, the softer it gets.

It's stretching a little bit where I've twisted it up, it doesn't lay flat anymore. I wonder what would happen if I ironed it? I'll have to try that. If I bend it into a "U", it holds itself up, doesn't flop back flat. We'll see if that changes after I wear at it awhile.

One side has a sort of paper-fiber looking texture, the other side is smoother. The smoother side looks a LOT like leather, especially now that I've worn some creases into it.

I scratched at it with the flat edge of a metal nail file and sort of got some fuzz off. It sort of burnished it and stretched it a bit.

I love new toys!
Old 03-12-2015, 03:17 PM

I am going to use it on the bottom of the Professional Tote. Just have not had the chance to get started on it yet. I have the black and the white. I will wash it first to give it the leather look.

There is a book of Kraft Tex projects too. They have a website.
sandy
Old 03-12-2015, 03:20 PM

I thought I'd get another person's impression - I just took my little piece in to my DH and gave it to him and said, "What do you think that is made of?" He looked at it and said, "Paper?" I said, "Try to rip it." He couldn't. I asked, "NOW what do you think that is made of?" He played with it a little more and said, "Some kind of vinyl?"

I told him what it was, using probably too many words. His response was, "(pause)....neat?" LOL
Old 03-12-2015, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by tapper View Post
I had to go look at this product.
Here in Canada, Staples carries it in black and white.
Of course the price is high but looks like it would last for quite a while.

http://www.staples.ca/directory_kraf...c=googleserpss

OK, did all us Canadians on the board go right out and buy the whole stock up???? It was out of stock (black and white, both) when I just looked!
Old 03-13-2015, 03:30 AM

I read about it and was wondering how well it would work. Thought of using the kraft color to do the bottom and handles of a tote.
Please post again after you use it and pictures also.