Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Kraft-Tex paper fabric - anybody played with this yet? >

Kraft-Tex paper fabric - anybody played with this yet?

Kraft-Tex paper fabric - anybody played with this yet?

Old 03-13-2015, 04:26 AM

Is that sort of the same fabric called Oly*Fun made by Fairfield? I got some last week to make a car flag for my car (I was transporting some 6th grade girls to and from church during a weekend retreat) so they could find my car in the parking lot. It was like working with medium weight interfacing. No fray, no raveling, not much give but I can see a lot of uses. At the Fairfield website they have some patterns and suggestions. http://oly-fun.com/
Old 03-13-2015, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by GEMRM View Post
OK, did all us Canadians on the board go right out and buy the whole stock up???? It was out of stock (black and white, both) when I just looked!
If my budget allowed, I would have done just that.
I will have to wait for a few months..... which is a good idea. It will give me time to read our member reports about it.
Old 03-13-2015, 05:52 AM

I finally abused my little strip enough that it split into two layers on the edge and I was able to peel it apart. THEN I could rip those in half on their own. Looks like it's made of 2 or more layers of the stuff, and they layer the fibers so they go perpendicular to each other. Explains why it was so hard to rip!

I was doing more research and apparently the leather patch on Levi's isn't leather anymore, it's something similar to this stuff.

I'd never heard of Oly*Fun but I just looked at the link and it doesn't look the same at all. The KraftTex stuff is a lot more like thick heavy paper, the Oly*Fun looks like that thin, strong, fabricky stuff that tote bags are made out of sometimes. I would expect the Oly*Fun stuff to be pretty soft and flexible? The KraftTex is really stiff right off the bolt, almost like thin cardboard.

I'm glad I posted about this stuff, you are all pointing out other similar stuff that's interesting too. No wonder I'm not getting any quilting done, I'm too busy experimenting with new stuff! LOL
Old 03-13-2015, 06:11 AM

It's been out for a while now the first thought I had was to make a tote bag so that is what I did, unfortunately can't post a pic because my friend who saw it wanted it so I gifted it to her. I will say that I used the kraft because it really does look like leather the only thing I wish that would have been done is for it to be wider sort of like with fabric!
Old 03-13-2015, 07:49 AM

About Us

Kraft-Tex Paper Fabric.
You'll love this rugged paper that looks and feels like leather but sews, cuts and washes just like fabric. Kraft-Tex is supple, yet strong enough to use for projects that get tough wear. Use it to bring an exciting new texture to your craft-sewing projects, mixed-media arts and bookmarking. It can be machines washed and tumble dried.

19" wide - $7 a yard USD not counting shipping and handing at the Kraft-Tex site.

Not affiliated with company, just googled.

Last edited by AZ Jane; 03-13-2015 at 07:51 AM.
Old 03-13-2015, 07:59 AM

How do you all hear about this stuff? I haven't heard a thing about paper fabric since I vaguely remember having a paper dress (pretty cool fad) back in the 60's.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:39 AM

I learned about it in my guild. One of our members is associated with the people who make it (somehow, not entirely clear on the relationship) and she brought some in to demo it for us as part of another presentation she was doing.

I've seen it for sale by the yard locally, but it was a lot cheaper on Amazon if you wanted a lot. And I wanted a lot.
Old 03-13-2015, 09:26 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SueSew View Post
How do you all hear about this stuff? I haven't heard a thing about paper fabric since I vaguely remember having a paper dress (pretty cool fad) back in the 60's.
I read about it sometime ago on several quilt blogs. Many Facebook quilt groups have used it too.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:29 PM

I too had a paper dress, but was afraid to wear it in public. I wonder where it went. lol
Old 03-13-2015, 01:28 PM

Interesting. I would love to hear what you think of this after you sew it up. Intweresting that you would post this. I was just thining about it. Someone in my guild sewed a purse from it last year at retreat. I keep meaning to ask her how it held up etc. It looked pretty stiff to sew with. She said it was supposed to loosen up the more you played with it. She said it was supposed to look and wear similar to leather.