Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Last 5 Quilts Ever... >

Last 5 Quilts Ever...

Last 5 Quilts Ever...

Old 03-15-2015, 09:29 AM
Power Poster

When I hosted my first family reunion about 15 years or so ago, I came up with the "brilliant" idea that since none of my Mother's utilitarian quilts had survived, having been well loved by 5 brothers and 2 sisters, that I should make a quilt to be raffled off so there would be a piece of family history to be passed on. The previous reunion 2 years earlier, my SIL came up with the idea of each family picking a color, that would be worn on T-shirts so that an uncle who was coming to meet his sister's family (my Mother) for the first time would know who belonged to whom. Starting with that idea, I asked family members to send fabric in their "family colors" and I would make a quilt, using those colors. I used the album block for the quilt, and it was very well received, with my oldest brother winning the quilt, much to the chagrin of my aunt from CA. Since then I made one more quilt in the family colors, then 2 with red, white and blue and after that I picked one family color for each of the next quilts. I've been amazed at the variety of fabrics my family members have chosen for each quilt, and that I (who was not a big fan of "scrap" quilts) was able to come up with a beautiful quilt that has become the highlight of every reunion. These have become my favorite quilts to make, as I love the "challenge" of picking the right pattern for each quilt using fabrics I had not chosen myself, but which always seemed to coordinate well with one another. These quilts have become a way for me to be remembered for putting "the ties that bind" into a "family" quilt to be passed on to other generations. These are the quilts that I love making, for the family that I love the most, even though we are scattered across the country, but in these quilts we are together as a family unit to be used for comfort and caring. I do make quilts for other reasons, but I love making the family reunion quilts the most.
Old 03-15-2015, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by KSellers View Post
I've decided I'm going to be more careful about accepting others request, so that I can catch up on the ones I really want to do. But I have 4 in line to be done before I get there! (
I have decided the exact statement. I am gong on 70 yo and have four children that do not yet have a quilt from me and I haven't finished any I have started for ME. I have all the fabric, batting and backing that I need for all of them (plus $20,000. worth more) so what am I waiting for? Uh, oh, gardening is soon on the agenda and I have two quilts to make first (one for a fundraiser and one for our priest before June 1). Maybe I need to set a deadline for the children's quilts!!! What someone can due under pressure!!! LOL
Old 03-15-2015, 01:46 PM

What a great thread!
Old 03-15-2015, 01:57 PM

This post really gave me an eye opener. I too, have put off working on quilts for myself to 'oblige' others. Last nigh I pulled out my Oriental quilt (pale yellow, sage and mint greens, ice blues) that I started MANY years ago. I didn't have enough batting (trip to JoAnn's after Mass today) to finish it, but did for the two pillow shams. Will finish the quilt within a couple of weeks. THEN, I have Civil War fabric (remember when I hosted that block swap???) for a sampler quilt.....on to the fabric that I purchased in HI 5 years ago (all Asian...yummy) finally a collection of maroons, burgundy and dk pinks. Sometimes we need a reminder what is important to US, and that we need to take care of ourselves. Thank you for the pull back to our selves!
Old 03-15-2015, 02:36 PM

My first big quilt was made for someone else in a color I really didn't like and I had to work on it even when I didn't want to just to get it done in time for a birthday gift. She loved it, I hated it. After that I said never again. I've had several family members mention they would love a quilt in this color or that color. I just say that if I come across something like that I will see what I can do. I had one family member that offered to get the material for a quilt so I told them about how much it would take. What they sent me was awful. So now I work on things I like. I don't like having UFO's so I can't start a new quilt til I get the others done. I usually have 2 going at a time, a easy one that I don't have to think to much on and a harder one for when I need a challenge. If someone likes one that I've already done then I'm more than happy to give it to them but I'm done with request.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:11 AM
Power Poster

In August, at almost 73 years old, I plan on going part time at my job. (A minimum of 16 hours a week) I hope to really work on things I have started. I am working on UFO's now but not making a lot of progress. I love quilting and am amazed at the talent of the members on this board. I know that I will never reach the level of many of you but I intend to enjoy what I do.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:58 AM
Power Poster

I am the last of five kids. Three youngest died first, oldest died 13 years ago. I am the 2nd oldest.
I decided about five years ago that I am just going to keep making quilts as long as I can.
All my kids, Grands and three - soon to be four Great Grands have several quilts from me. People I thought needed a quilt has one, Sis in laws - two have several and I donated five quilts. We have about six quilts and two wonderful comforters for our bed. I have over 35 quilts waiting for homes. In the mean time I just keep making them. I have lots of fabrics and I am trying to use as much as I can.
My two Granddaughters have no desire to sew. My oldest Daughter is a quilter too, she will inherit all my sewing stuff.
She has lots of fabrics also.
Old 03-16-2015, 05:12 AM

I know exactly the quilts I would do and have completed three of the them. My sister who started me on quilting, passed away several years ago and I was given several boxes of her fabrics.
I would like to make one for each of the nieces and nephews and my brother and I. I combined my own fabric with pieces of hers and found great comfort in this. I know that she would have loved this.
While it's seven quilts instead of five I'll keep working on it. With my own health issues, I want to complete this labor of love for all of us.
Old 03-16-2015, 05:32 AM

What a great thought and it sure opened up my mind as to what compels me to work on what quilt. I think I am wasting what precious time I have left on something that is consuming all of my time and I don't even like it. I am putting off several quilts that might mean something to my family in lieu of the "I am so sick of this quilt".
Old 03-16-2015, 07:54 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

I decided when I started making quilts many years ago (especially after my bout with the real quilt police at a quilting guild) ..that I would make only for family. A few new baby quilts have crept in but over all its mostly family I sew for anyway, so quilts it is. I also only crochet for family too .. Once in a while when someone is going through a medical bout in their life; I will make them something.