Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Okay, the last, last border decision!

Okay, the last, last border decision!

For those of you helping me, I really appreciate it. I hate to be this indecisive, but usually sew for myself so only have to please me, this is for a surprise gift for an amazing uncle so I want it to be perfect. Here is one last (hopefully) idea for the border, so we are down to leave it at the brown, add the orange wolf strip, or add this. I couldn't get as good a shot since I am by myself now and need help to get it up on the wall.

Name:  IMG_0507.JPG
Views: 1083
Size:  225.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0508.JPG
Views: 1087
Size:  217.9 KB
    "Never cruel, nor cowardly, never give up, never give in."

Let's take care of the Earth, it is the only planet that for sure has Chocolate.

Sonic screwdrivers, fez, bow ties, and Stetsons are cool.

I still like the orange best!!

Add the orange. I really like it. It finishes the outside edge beautifully.

Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs
    Blog Entries
    I really like this orange. And I hate orange.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it difficult to plan the day.

Kris

A vote to leave off additional borders. It's going to difficult to line up those small circles so that they fall in the same line.

Let there be a pause along the edge. Your quilt design is lovely. It doesn't need a busy border. Just another point of view.

Have you done mitered bindings at other degrees than a 45?

Yes I have done non 45 degree bindings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda K View Post
    A vote to leave off additional borders. It's going to difficult to line up those small circles so that they fall in the same line.

Let there be a pause along the edge. Your quilt design is lovely. It doesn't need a busy border. Just another point of view.

Have you done mitered bindings at other degrees than a 45?

Let's take care of the Earth, it is the only planet that for sure has Chocolate.

I liked your phrase 'gilding the lily.' :-)

This fabric seems to tie in with the little border hexies, because that's the fabric you used for them. For that reason, it becomes sort of a continuation of the round that they made. You are right, this part of the fabric has movement, like everything else. There is movement everywhere. :-) You wouldn't have a problem sewing it properly, because you are good at matching the design in a print.

It seems like you won't be satisfied with only brown. The top doesn't feel finished for you that way. It seems like you don't want to look in your stash for other choices-- you are keen on using this particular fabric again. You have this original vision that you were going to use the orange/wolves for a border. But? Why are you just not using it then?? * little laugh* Why are you wondering what others might advise (in more than one post)? :-)

When you have the orange/wolves only in the center, they are the pop of color in the whole top-- the fabric that provides the interior decorator's touch of color in their 60/30/10 formula. If you put the orange/wolves on the outside too, you will change the balance.

You might not be liking a light color for the border. Most quilts have a darker outer border to 'frame' the top. But those quilts usually have a lighter background. What you have here is the reverse, with a dark background, so a light border is not out of place. You could consider adding another 2" of brown around it to achieve a dark edge.

Oh I like this picture a lot. This one is my vote. The center has so much movement, it needs a strong frame to contain it and redirect the eye back to the center stuff. This does that to my eye, I love this.

...Just think, what's coming next? What will you decide for the binding! lol

Oh, Kass! Thanks for sharing your project. :-)

I liked the orange best as I think it brought out all the other colours more and helped them to pop.

I liked the orange in the last post, but I think I like this one most of all. As pointed out earlier, the light border offsets the dark quilt background & seems to balance it in my opinion. Like you, I think ending in brown makes it seem unfinished. Wonderful quilt!

I prefer the wolf border over the zig zag. I do not think the orange and wolves compete with the rest of the quilt. It would be my first choice especially for that special person you plan to gift it to.

Kassaundra, this one is my fav!!!!!!!!!

I like this option too. It just works.

Bravissimo!
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blog Entries
    OH now that does look good. I"m glad you figured it out and had more fabric .

Power Poster
    I'm late to this - but I like this one -the zgzag print - better with that than the orange background with wolves on the other thread.

I'm trying to think "why" - maybe because the other print feels "heavy" and seems to drag the quilt "down" to me.

What is the purpose of the blue fabric at the ends? IMO, that does not work at all with the rest of that top.

Blog Entries
    This looks great. But, it would also look fine with just the print binding. Either one would give a finished edge to the top. I suggest you lay it on the bed with the two choices (one at each side) and leave it. Every time you enter the room, note which side draws your eye to it - that is the one you really want! Sometimes we drive ourselves crazy when the person getting it will be thrilled with whatever we choose.

That blue print is the fleece backing, it won't be visible in the finished front.
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    I'm late to this - but I like this one -the zgzag print - better with that than the orange background with wolves on the other thread.

I'm trying to think "why" - maybe because the other print feels "heavy" and seems to drag the quilt "down" to me.

What is the purpose of the blue fabric at the ends? IMO, that does not work at all with the rest of that top.

From a not so experienced eye: no border and bind it in the brown brown or the zigzag fabric cut on the bias for just a touch of lightness on the outside. Very nice quilt.

I like both border ideas, but the orange is my favorite. I just seems to pull it all together.
    Blessed are the cracked
    for they let in the light

Blog Entries
    I think the wolf strip did a better job of ending the quilt. The zigzag kind of looks like it needs more, or the binding may either get lost, or “argue” with it. Just my thoughts.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Blog Entries
    This border looks great. It fits in with the hexies and balances the whole quilt. As much as I like the wolf border this geometric fabric finishes the piece perfectly.

It has been fun watching you bring this beauty together.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Blog Entries
    I love the orange zig zag border. You've done such a perfect job on all of this. Your hexies are out of this world.