Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Last border decision

Last border decision

The last time I posted pics of this border quandary several suggested no orange final border. I couldn't make up my mind (I was working on a different choice at that time) so I assembled and quilted it until I finally HAD to make the choice. So here it is again. Final orange border or no?????

Name:  IMG_0491.JPG
Views: 905
Size:  260.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0492.JPG
Views: 906
Size:  248.5 KB
    "Never cruel, nor cowardly, never give up, never give in."

Let's take care of the Earth, it is the only planet that for sure has Chocolate.

Sonic screwdrivers, fez, bow ties, and Stetsons are cool.

Blog Entries
    Only if you need it to make the quilt the size you want.
    What do you plan to do on the corners? Adding triangles to make them square? I like the brown and would probably just finish it with that.
    It is a lovely quilt.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I'd do it...what else are you going to do with the matching fabric?

I plan on leaving the corners at an angle.

Let's take care of the Earth, it is the only planet that for sure has Chocolate.

Absolutely nothing else!!! lol lol lol The fabric was chosen for a specific person who will love it, but it is not my cup of tea.
    Quote Originally Posted by ekuw View Post
    I'd do it...what else are you going to do with the matching fabric?

Blog Entries
    I really like it with the border.

Quote Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post
    I plan on leaving the corners at an angle.
    I like angled corners, so you have my vote for them.

Border or not ... I kind of like it with it.
    Though if you are doing that, add extra on the cropped corners so that they have the same amount of brown between the edge of the hexies and the border print, as there is with the rest of the quilt.

If no border, the excess fabric .... while it is not your cup-of-tea, you could always make that specific person, a go with, such as a runner, table topper, mug rugs etc.

Great kaleido work up.
    You're got a really nice original quilt for that specific and obviously special person.
    Well done!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Thanks for the suggestions and compliment. Yes I am going to add the piece of brown to the corrner angled edges either way w/ or w/o the orange.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    I like angled corners, so you have my vote for them.

Border or not ... I kind of like it with it.
    Though if you are doing that, add extra on the cropped corners so that they have the same amount of brown between the edge of the hexies and the border print, as there is with the rest of the quilt.

If no border, the excess fabric .... while it is not your cup-of-tea, you could always make that specific person, a go with, such as a runner, table topper, mug rugs etc.

Great kaleido work up.
    You're got a really nice original quilt for that specific and obviously special person.
    Well done!!!

I like it as pictured above.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

My vote: With the orange border.

Love the quilt.
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I think the warmth in the border ties it back to the center. I love the orange finish.

Any way you choose to finish it, it's going to be beautiful... but yes, I have an opinion. My gut feeling is that the orange wolves is overkill to use again as a border. How would you feel about the creme color for a border, and then maybe brown for the binding? And what do you think your uncle would like?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blog Entries
    wow. i love it the was it is in the first pic. the wolves now would distract from the quilt piecing. you have them in the blocks so I would not add more.

Quote Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions and compliment. Yes I am going to add the piece of brown to the corrner angled edges either way w/ or w/o the orange.
    You're welcome ... I hope the recipient is as thrilled with it as s/he should be!
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

I like it just the way it is. I wouldn't add another border.
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

You have the orange strip left with the wolves. You carefully measured and see you have enough to piece it long enough for the border. You don't think you have any other use for it, because you don't really like it. You got the wolf fabric specifically for this specific person, so maybe you feel it ought to only be used for that person. These thoughts, combined thoughts, multiple thoughts, and other thoughts you can think of to increase the list-- do they really constitute a reason to use it in the border? Are you thinking about using it simply because it matches this particular quilt? Maybe your decision might be a pros and cons type of decision, if that's how you like to make artistic decisions. In the end, the quilt is your creative effort.

If you're simply wanting to use up the fabric, there are plenty of quilters that would take it off of your hands. :-)
    Last edited by givio; 06-01-2018 at 05:42 PM.

I like it with the orange border. I think it pulls it all together, and to my eye it does not compete with the center at all. In fact, because it's wolves, I like the way it surrounds the quilt...kind of like a pack on a mission!

I love the design and the movement you have in the quilt. It looks amazing! As for your question, I like the look with the orange border, but then again I am a "border" person.
    We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun. ~ Winnie the Pooh ~

1912 World's Rotary Treadle (White Company), 1942 Singer 66-16, 1952 Pfaff 130-6, 1954 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer 201-2

No. I think this orange border, in particular, is just too much. The quilt is lovely, but it is a very busy quilt, which is calmed, if you will, because the eye goes from the center outward. I would simply add a thin binding, which could either be black or even solid orange orange (because it is thin) or brown; cream, I think, would be too confining. I am certain whatever you do will be just right! I go through this second-guessing of myself at this stage in a quilt all the time, so I know what you are going through.

The orange wolf border was part of my vision from the beginning, but then started second guessing myself. Then wasn't sure it it was just gilding the lily or if it actually added something. Ending in the brown seemed okay, but kinda flat???? I tried a lighter part of the fabric as a border the zig zag part, but really don't like it much (posted pics on a new thread b/c wasn't sure if many would look further for more options. I didn't like the harsh light / dark straight edge between it and the brown, but the movement was nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by givio View Post
    You have the orange strip left with the wolves. You carefully measured and see you have enough to piece it long enough for the border. You don't think you have any other use for it, because you don't really like it. You got the wolf fabric specifically for this specific person, so maybe you feel it ought to only be used for that person. These thoughts, combined thoughts, multiple thoughts, and other thoughts you can think of to increase the list-- do they really constitute a reason to use it in the border? Are you thinking about using it simply because it matches this particular quilt? Maybe your decision might be a pros and cons type of decision, if that's how you like to make artistic decisions. In the end, the quilt is your creative effort.

If you're simply wanting to use up the fabric, there are plenty of quilters that would take it off of your hands. :-)

Love this border, this would be my first choice too!

Yes, use the orange border. It's just right!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by marilynr View Post
    I really like it with the border.
    Me too. I think the border makes it look complete. Just saying.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Yes, Border

I vote for the border. It frames it well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast