Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Layer cake ? >

Layer cake ?

Layer cake ?

Old 07-16-2013, 05:49 AM
Power Poster

Throw that material into a lingerie bag or pillow case right away and wash it with your laundry soap and vinegar. I use scrap strips to tie off the pillow case. Wash it in at least warm water. Use some color catchers also. Don't use any dryer softener sheets. I would then look at the label and see if there was fragrance added and let the manufacturer know about it. If any customer has asthma and orders this, it can trigger an attack. I get really anal when I see no sense in adding fragrance to material being sent out. Before I use any material, I always pre-wash and that includes layer cakes, charm packs. Jelly rolls I bought once and had to wash but knew it would fray horribly so I just let them soak in a bucket in the sink with laundry soap, rinse then let them dry out on the car port.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:56 AM

I would hand wash in the sink in cool water -- not a lot of agitation, but wash several times and let it air dry. That should take care of removing the chemicals used when processing the fabric. By washing in cool water and letting it air dry, hopefully it will shrink at the same rate as the rest of the fabrics you use in the quilt, and you'll have the normal results when you wash and dry the finished quilt.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:14 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I agree with taking it back to the store if possible, or see if a friend wants to buy or trade something for them. I wash small pieces all the time, but I don't expect them to hold their size and shape.
I agree completely with this!

If new fabrics usually don't bother you, and this one is - the store/manufacturer should be made aware of your problem - others may also be afllicted.

I wash small pieces of fabric in the sink or a bucket or a big bowl or a kettle.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:15 AM

You are having a allergic reaction to the fabric. I would take some antihistamines and wash the fabric. Some people use a laundry bag that is used to wash delicates to wash the pre-cuts. I, too, have allergies and ALL of my fabric is washed the minute it enters my home. I know some find the process of washing and drying the fabric before use to be difficult,but I just treat the fabric like another load of clothes. Throw in the washer,then the dryer and I'm done. I don't iron the fabric until I use it, since I will have to iron when I'm ready to cut the fabric. This is why I have never bought pre-cuts,only yardage that I can pre-wash. Good Luck!
Old 07-16-2013, 08:21 AM

This is the first time I have reacted this bad to any fabric. I do have asthma so all my fabric is washed as soon as I bring in into the house. This is also is the first time I have pick up a layer cake just fell in love with the fabric. Would cost me to much to return as we were on a road trip and stopping at quilt shops. Right now it is hanging in the barn keeping the horses company A friend is going to wash it for me. What a nice friend I have bearisgray I will let the manufacturer know .I have never reacted this bad to fabric before. We will see after my friend washes a few pieces if I can then us it. If not she can have it.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:56 AM

I wash by hand or mesh bag in machine with non-allergenic soap and dry on a rack that fits in my dryer to prevent tumbling. If your dryer doesnt have the rack, I would just spread to dry. I have done a lot of scraps, fat quarters and thrift store finds this way. You might add some vinegar to the rinse for extra protection.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:02 AM

You have a very thoughtful friend! Aren't quilty friends the best?! Give her a hug and the fabric, if it still irritates you! Good luck!
Old 07-17-2013, 03:21 AM
Power Poster

I definitely would return them to the store.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I agree with taking it back to the store if possible, or see if a friend wants to buy or trade something for them. I wash small pieces all the time, but I don't expect them to hold their size and shape.
As long as you haven't done anything with them I'd take them back, or at least attempt to....I NEVER pre wash fabric and especially wouldn't do it to pre cuts OR flannel!
Old 07-17-2013, 06:24 AM

But she's obviously allergic to the fabric dyes (or something in it) and zigzagging around the pieces will mean handling it a lot....and getting sicker! I'd return it to the store, no matter how much I loved it, and use something else. Nothing is worth being sick over. IMHO, anyway.