Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Leaking Iron? New Rowena Iron issues >

Leaking Iron? New Rowena Iron issues

Leaking Iron? New Rowena Iron issues

Old 01-01-2011, 07:48 AM

This also happened to me.. so yes I was a fool to have purchased 2.. NEVER AGAIN...I would rather find a Walmart iron the weight I like with steam holes the way I like than pay over 100 angain and get water all over the place... BUH BYE ROWENTA>>>> NEVER AGAIN!
Old 01-01-2011, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by quilterken
My Rowenta went crazy hot and burned a iron sized mark on my quilt before it smelled like burning wires. I then unplugged it and called the dealer that I purchased it from and was told in a nutshell "too bad so sad". Only 14 months old... $200 gone.... never again
I think we all need to boycot the Rowenta Co!!!! :thumbup:
If no one will buy one... and state why... maybe they will fix this costly problem for us...(((when the black stuff comes out in the drips, it will ruin a quilt!!!))) :cry:
:thumbup: :thumbup: :XD: :mrgreen: :shock: :idea: :) :roll: :lol:
Old 01-01-2011, 07:51 AM

I finally switched to distilled water and now it works much better. But, I agree with many: I will never by another Rowenta!
Old 01-01-2011, 08:09 AM

I got a Rowenta Powerglide 2 as a birthday gift from my mom about 5 years ago. It was an $80 iron and they had it on sale for about $60. This iron has worked great for me and I guess I have been lucky. I just searched online and it appears they still sell it for about 2/3 what it used to cost but it has terrible reviews. Out of 17 reviews on one website only 1 was positive. Checked the bottom of my iron and it says "made in Mexico" that was a bit of a surprise. It seems most everyone elses were made in either Germany or China. Based on my own experience I might purchase Rowenta again but based on most reviews I think I would have to look at some other brands as well.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:31 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

another product no longer made in the USA. and even Big companies like ahem . . . Gm and their subsid co Delphi Packard Electric REMOVED INSPECTION JOBS YEARS AGO. I worked there and we were shocked. the co. instead went to "roving" inspectors who would be requirrd to go through a box of production parts-inspect maybe 3 from that box. if they were good the rest MUST be. right? I know! human mistakes only happen 3 out of 800 or so I'm guessing. well Delphi is about done GM is built in more "other" countries than U.S. now. Irons/cars hey faster is always better for the guy getting his million dollor bonus. just venting
Old 01-01-2011, 08:34 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

Rowenta's customer service needs an overhaul too.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by dixiebelle162002
I have owned the same one for approx. 15 yrs now without any problems and I love it. It works wonderful on clothing and quilting projects. It would be very hard to think about going back to a lightweight iron that doesn't put out the steam I need. I hate to hear that you are having problems with yours. Good luck getting these issues resloved.
I have an older Rowenta, also, which was made in Germany. I have had no problems with it. A lot of people seem to be having problems with the newer ones.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:56 AM

I bought a Rowenta...it leaked...I took it back and bought a Sunbeam from Kohl's...works great.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:19 AM

I bought a Rowenta and had the problem of it leaking. Here is how to fix it. Go to your local automotive parts store and get a tube of High Temperature Gasket Sealer. It's usually red. Take out all the screws and gently pull the dial under the handle out. Then carefully pull the Iron apart. You will find that the water tank is open on one side (nort really a tank) Make sure everything is dry and put the silicone on the seal area for the tank and reassemble ( Be Generous with the silicone). Wait at least 12 hours before using.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:07 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Terry M
I bought a Rowenta and had the problem of it leaking. Here is how to fix it. Go to your local automotive parts store and get a tube of High Temperature Gasket Sealer. It's usually red. Take out all the screws and gently pull the dial under the handle out. Then carefully pull the Iron apart. You will find that the water tank is open on one side (nort really a tank) Make sure everything is dry and put the silicone on the seal area for the tank and reassemble ( Be Generous with the silicone). Wait at least 12 hours before using.
Thank you. This information may help a lot of us salvage a bad investment. I wish leaking had been the only problem with my Rowenta. Do you also know how to fix the problem of it going into sleep mode and not coming out of it? I'd love to fix that problem, and keep my Rowenta as a backup. I still haven't tossed it, but it's getting closer to the garbage bin every day.