Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Leaking Iron? New Rowena Iron issues >

Leaking Iron? New Rowena Iron issues

Leaking Iron? New Rowena Iron issues

Old 01-01-2011, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by OmaForFour
I live in Maine! What quilt shop is it that you mentioned here?

Originally Posted by kwendt
Oh! Also... I have since found out that the SUNBEAM Professional iron (the expensive one, SS sole, etc) got great reviews from the ladies at the Maine quilt shop I love. That's what they use there, in fact.

Just in case, anyone's interested.

Ah... Maine's got some GREAT quilt shops. The one I love and go to whenever i'm in town... is The Cotton Cupboard in Bangor on outer Broadway, just past Griffin Road and the D&D! I took a Carol Doak class there too, and it was awesome. The owners are just great, fun to be with and a blast to hang out there. I was there for last New Years Quilt 'all night' party, and it was a blast. I couldn't make it for this one, so sad.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Terry M
I bought a Rowenta and had the problem of it leaking. Here is how to fix it. Go to your local automotive parts store and get a tube of High Temperature Gasket Sealer. It's usually red. Take out all the screws and gently pull the dial under the handle out. Then carefully pull the Iron apart. You will find that the water tank is open on one side (nort really a tank) Make sure everything is dry and put the silicone on the seal area for the tank and reassemble ( Be Generous with the silicone). Wait at least 12 hours before using.
Wow! Cool. That's an 'easy' fix. Thanks a bunch, Terry. I'll do that in the next week or so, after visiting my local napa. I can do that the same day I'm replacing the nylon worm gear and gasket on my Kitchen Aid stand mixer. My bench will be covered in home appliances! I'll still buy distilled water for it though.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:39 PM

I have a Rowenta also, it leaks. it has since the day I got it. I also use tap water. I find that it must be hHOT HOT HOT, I mean, have it on for 5 minutes or so before I use it or it will leak. I also never fill it to the top line, I usually use it half way.

I paid about $100 for my iron, it was not worth the money.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:39 PM

In regards to the other question... about how to fix the iron if it keeps shutting off unexpectedly.... I should think if someone mechanical/electrical took it apart... they should be able to find the sensor that is causing that. I would assume that either that sensor could be bypassed (so you have a non-auto shut off iron) or cleaned/replaced.

We just had a temp/overheat sensor fail on our microwave. My DH got the electrical schemats out and found where the sensor was. $12 later (online sensor order) he replaced the failed sensor. So our $800 Convection/Microwave is working again for $12. The local 'fix it' place wanted $80 just to look at it. <grrr> Maybe my DH should look into the old B&D that's randomly shutting off too.

Oh... and if anyone's interested... when I have some REAL pressing to do, I have a 1950's Westinghouse Chrome PRESS iron (solid chrome plate, no holes, no steam, and heavy!) that I use. lol. It's so retro, and it weighs like 8 lbs or something ridiculous... but can it ever press the sharpest creases! I'm afraid of it a little!
Old 01-01-2011, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by lovequilts
I threw out my last rowena becaues of drips/leaking. i bought a cheap (less than $50.00) Black and Decker Iron and love it.
Yep .. Cheap Black & Decker has my vote!
Old 01-01-2011, 02:22 PM

Mine leaks too!!I hate to get rid of it because I love the way it steams and irons.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:25 PM

I don't have that feature on mine so I haven't had that problem. I would guess that problem is in the switch.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:41 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Terry M
I don't have that feature on mine so I haven't had that problem. I would guess that problem is in the switch.
It could be there, or in the sensor. Originally it would go to sleep and not come back on right away, but that problem was supposedly fixed. Now it doesn't come on at all. :(
Old 01-01-2011, 03:51 PM

After all the bad reviews I have read on the Roweta I sure wasn't going to spend money on one.Besides I would rather spend that on fabric/:-)
I just purchased my second T-Fal iron. The only reason I got another one was I dropped my first(on a concrete floor). It still worked fine no leaking or anything like that but I messed up the point. So when I moved I left that one with my DD and bought me a brand new one. I am very tempted to buy one to put on a shelf or something before they sell out to someone and screw up the iron. I love them I doubt very much if I will ever own anything else.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:09 PM

I have the same problem as you are having. I am just 'living with it' for now because it is still too new to trash can it (but not new enough to return to the store). I love the feel of the iron, but the steam issue is bothersome. I put a press cloth on the ironing board and just deal with the water that leaks out. I will definitely not buy another one.