Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Leaking Iron? New Rowena Iron issues >

Leaking Iron? New Rowena Iron issues

Leaking Iron? New Rowena Iron issues

Old 01-01-2011, 11:14 AM

Count me as another who won't spend money on Rowenta again. Same issue with leaking as many others... I had mine probably 5 or 6 years ago, and in less than a year had problems.

My "main" iron now is a T-fal, I love it except for the darned auto-off. The one I keep next to me sewing machine is a $10 Proctor Silex from WM. Not as heavy as I'd like, but it works, the price was right, no auto-off, and it doesn't leak!
Old 01-01-2011, 11:23 AM

I have a Rowenta and exactly the same thing - it appears that mine is leaking from where the top of the handle joins the iron - there is a crevas there and the water seems to be coming out of it - and if I don't fill it beyond that point it behaves itself. I asked my husband to try putting a dob of silicone in that spot and see if it stops it - he insists I send it back - but if that would solve the problem, I otherwise would like the iron. I also find that I need to lock that steam thing open - otherwise it keeps creaping back down to where it does not steam anymore. Granted I would never buy another one - Black & Decker from good ol' Wal-mart would be my next choice - though I do have a Proctor-Silex that steams great and all, but I have it on high (all the time) and I don't have to worry about burning anything because it doesn't get hot enough. Also so many irons out there have the safety/auto shut off - I would think that would drive me nuts if I am on a sewing spree. :-)
Marysewfun
Old 01-01-2011, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by kwendt
Hi all... this ever happen to you?
1. This Rowena iron is 1 year old, 1700 watts, press/steam, stainless steel sole, iron. It's heavy enough to press well, versitile enough to iron well. I haven't used it a whole lot yet.

2. I use tap water in it... the directions specifically stated NOT to use distilled water (why, I don't have a clue).

3. I drain it when I'm not going to use it for several weeks. And only fill it when the iron is cool.

Issue: My sewing room is finally back together after having been 'packed up' for renovations. I filled my cold iron, not quite up to the 'full' fill line. It sat there fine. I turned it on, heated it up. Then I picked it up, rotated it to horizontal and started to press. All of a sudden I had about 1/2 cup of water all over my table, ironing pad, fabric... it keeps happening.

If the iron is only about 1/2 full or less, it doesn't seem to do it as much, although it will still spot and throw water out on occasion.

Have I somehow cracked a seal in it? I checked the 'steam on demand' switch and it was not stuck 'on' or malfunctioning in any way. I can't quite figure out where the water is coming from, but it seems as if it's coming from around the edges of the sole plate (where it's attached to the plastic iron body. Some water comes out of the holes in the sole, but I think it's supposed to do that.

Tomorrow, I'll do a self clean.. purge whatever water is still in it then try again. I don't have any gunk built up on the sole plate - it's clean. Not sure what else to try.

Ideas? Fixes? Options? This ever happen to you and if so, how did you solve it?
I had a Rowenta Steam Generator, one of the big guys, and had a problem with it leaking and spitting; contacted Rowenta and their polite reply was, "If the iron is used daily you won't have a problem." HUH!!!!???? No more Rowentas for me.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:31 AM

I threw out my Rowenta and bought a plain old *dry* iron. No auto shut off, no steam, soleplate can be scrubbed of sticky debris. It is made in China and the temperature dial is a little funky after 2 years, but it still gives me hot heat when I want it with no rusty residue. I just have to remember to pull it out of the plug when I'm finished with it.
Diana
Old 01-01-2011, 11:51 AM

I have had 3 Rowentas. I have sent them to a repair shop in Long Island. My last one was repaired free as it was still under warranty. It was an electrical problem through the cord. The one before I opted to choose a reconditioned one at a lesser cost; covered by a warranty, but, of course, no problem until past the date. The first one I replaced with a new one at a lower price than at the store, but still not cheap. Like the rest of the complainers, I'm through with Rowenta. I didn't realize they, too, had been bought out by a China company, but then I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
I have a CostCo Rowenta and like it. It's about 3 years old.
But could this be the result of another factory moving over seas? Singer isn't making many new friends these days, and a lot of old American brands are being made "over there" somewhere they don't have such careful overseeing.
I just bought my Rowenta at Costco (the "Master" model, and so far-so good. I made sure it said "made in Germany", as I heard they are better Rowentas. I previously bought an expensive Shark, had it a week, and took it back-it leaked no matter what I did.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by sewwhat85
all three of the rowenta irons that i have owned have leaked i will never buy one again
ditto
Old 01-01-2011, 01:00 PM

I, too, have had my expensive Rowenta Advancer leak big time. I won it so no money down the drain, but still...............
I went to Walmart and bought a Hamilton Beach Professional iron and it is awesome! Only $40.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:00 PM

Yep...I bought one....that was enough for that kind of $$$. I even sent it back to the manufacturer as per their instructions...never heard from them or IT again!! I have since bought a Black & Decker....wore it out....and now I have a nice, heavy Shark from Walmart...about $75. I love it!!
Old 01-01-2011, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by grandma.me
My Rowenta iron is about 12-15 years old. I used only distilled water, even though the directions say not to. I used tap water one time, and the iron spit and leaked. With distilled water I have no problems at all. I don't know why Rowenta insists on using tap water. I don't use our tap water in my coffee maker either. Only distilled water.
Marilyn from SW MN
Wow, Marilyn. Okay to the store for distilled water I go. We'll see if it makes a difference. Thanks.