Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Leather thimble? >

Leather thimble?

Leather thimble?

Old 07-15-2015, 04:05 AM
Power Poster

I had a beautiful Japanese coin leather thimble....our dog ate it when he was a puppy. With no ill effect.
Old 07-15-2015, 05:32 AM

A leather thimble is all I use. Yes they will wear out but I keep a supply on hand. USually 3. I use one for about 6 months with regular use then change. But I think they are worth it. Try one and see. I don't remember who made mine. The one with the green string is not what i use most . Mine covers most of the finger.

Last edited by Noiseynana; 07-15-2015 at 05:35 AM.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:11 AM
Power Poster

Dang my collection looks like yours. I also purchased the Natural Fit by Clover and it's so far the one I use the most. I refuse to buy the one from the quilter who charges around $65.00. Can't remember her name.
Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I hated those, they were worthless.

I've purchased just about every kind of thimble there is on the market. I really dislike the metal ones because they are so very round, and my fingers are NOT.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]525087[/ATTACH]

After trying all of them, this is the one I found worked the best for me. It's made by Clover and is leather. I've had it for about 3 years now.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]525088[/ATTACH]
Old 07-15-2015, 03:32 PM

I use a leather thimble, called Nimble Thimble (I believe). It's black and has a small metal piece inside where you'd be hitting the needle a lot. I don't like the slits at the top sides.. They have sizes .... I use small as I have small hands. I also use the leather under thimble that has sticky on the back to stick to your finger. When it's too hot, it slips off. The Thimble Lady charges $100+ for her silver thimbles. My friends have them and swear by them. Too expensive for me to purchase.
Old 07-15-2015, 04:21 PM

Love these, still using the first of the three pack for at least 5 years now. When the thread broke, I used my own (waxed, grabbed that one first). Tighten to your desire. Nothing else works for me.
Old 07-15-2015, 05:31 PM

I use the w'onder thimble...It's the blue plastic one in the picture with the hole in the back....I don't hand quilt or applique so I only use it for bindings, labels etc. I have about 3 and am ready to order 3 more ( i keep misplacing them, then find them when I am cleaning up). They are very inexpensive so when one is starting to poke through I just throw it away and get another.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:44 PM

I use a leather thimble similar to the one pictured but mine has a metal circle where my finger pad is so that the needle does not poke through the leather and into my finger. I have used it for many years. It is a bit costly but a coupon at JAF helps...(around $13.).

My fingers are too fat and chubby for the plastic thimbles...I have tried most of them.
Love the leather one with the metal circle.
Old 07-15-2015, 09:07 PM

I made one using a small piece of wide elastic that I hand stitched to the little pie ce of leather I already had. Works really well because it is custom fit to my short, stubby, kid-like, fingers.
Old 07-16-2015, 02:49 PM

I have many just like you, the one that I really use is the long white leather one. I don't remember the name but got it at WM I put a reg . little metal thimble inside of it works great for me. hope you al can find a solution.