Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which is Less Expensive for Fabric? >

Which is Less Expensive for Fabric?

Which is Less Expensive for Fabric?

Old 01-15-2013, 07:41 AM

I have no local quilt shops. Even Hancocks is 50 miles away - one way. Connecting Threads has VERY good prices and I've never been dissatisfied with anything I ordered from them. I do have a WM 30 miles away that has a very good fabric department with reasonable prices. With gas prices so high I can save money by buying on-line and paying postagle.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:42 AM

I like Favorite Fabrics they have Awesome material Great Customer Service . I know i have ordered a lot from them. If in doubt on item pick up the phone call them they will do all they can to help you . Quick turn around on orders just Great Sewing & Quilting Employees. If for any reason not satsified call them they will take care of the problem . Great Customer Service.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:43 AM

Depends on the cost of the fabric and shipping.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:54 AM

I've only ordered online a few times and found that the quality was rather hit or miss. We have one little store here that sells most of their fabric from $3.99 to $5.99 a yard and it is good, quality fabric. I try to buy as much as I can there. The other LQS is a little higher, but I still love to feel the fabric before I buy it. Most of my fabriv shopping is from the smaller stores. However, I did make quite a haul at Hancock's last week on Christmas fabric. My goal is to put Christmas quilts on every bed in our house and our kids houses!
Old 01-15-2013, 08:39 AM

My favorite LQS has wonderful, high quality fabric but nothing under $9.99/yd. and higher. Best bet; shop around.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:13 AM

my favorite online fabric store-my favorite store period!! is todaysquilting.com-Nancy is great and she gives great service and is very quick in shipping. Love her fabrics. I also use fabrics.com but have gone away from them as I like Nancy's selection better.
I also buy from MSQC-some of their per-cuts are very nice.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:57 AM

I have had best luck with online fabric. Sometimes JoAnn doesn't have the yardage you need or it has faults in it
Old 01-15-2013, 12:12 PM

You can get better quality online. I watch Hancocks of Paducah's web sales pages. You can pick up some great fabric for a great price - you just have to be patient and watch for it!! Order it quickly if you like it though - it sells out fast sometimes!
Old 01-15-2013, 02:01 PM

I just received an order from Melinda's Fabrics and it arrived so fast. Good quality and name brand too. I use Beverly's fabrics too. They are located in California and their online fabric is automatically 30% off. Fat Quarter is nice too and they often have the whole collection of fabric design. I love Paducah's catalog but have never ordered. What I actually do is google the name of the fabric I am looking for and then shop for the best price on the fabric and shipping. You have to figure in shipping in the cost of the fabric because sometimes that's the deal breaker!
Old 01-15-2013, 02:09 PM

I have no LQS close to my house, and the closest Joann's is about 20 miles away so I don't go there often. I shop at a variety of online stores, but most of my quilting fabric tends to come from Fabric.com. I like to wait until the fabric I want is either on sale or better yet on clearance, and if I am really lucky, I have a 15% off code to use combined with their sales prices. Shipping is free if I spend more than $35 which is always the case. When you register with fabric.com they send you "valued customer" discount codes several times a year besides the ones they publish often on their site. Also I found that about half the time, If I put fabric in my cart (make sure to log in first) and then don't finalize the order for a for a day or two, they will send me a reminder that I have items in my cart along with a 10% discount code.