Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Lesson learned... LOVE ALL YOUR FABRICS FIRST! >

Lesson learned... LOVE ALL YOUR FABRICS FIRST!

Lesson learned... LOVE ALL YOUR FABRICS FIRST!

Old 05-05-2012, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Sewhappytoquilt View Post
I was all set to make a Double Slice Layer Cake in Blacks, Browns, and Tans, all gathered from my stash. I got half of my 157 blocks completed and pressed, so I thought I'd arrange them just to take a preview peek. OMG - how blah and boring. I am not even going to waste my time finishing it (King size). Since I sewed all the pieces, string method, I can't even save the 157 squares, unless I spend a LOT of time ripping seams. Lesson learned... LOVE ALL YOUR FABRICS FIRST. Using "just okay" fabrics with other "just okay" fabrics is NOT going to miraculously turn them into something gorgeous.

Don't throw anything away. Your "blah" might be someone else's "aahhhhhh". Post a pic and someone here may love it.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:24 AM

Can you use it for the back of a quilt, have cheery red, yellow, blues or your favorite colors in the front. I'sure from the ideas you get you will be able to save it. What about teal sashing. If you still don't like it I'm sure someone at a center or church could use it. Good luck
Old 05-05-2012, 08:03 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I so understand where you are coming from. This has happened to me a few times. I get so far with a quilt and then my inspiration leaves me and I can't finish it. But like some of the gals said, if you did applique on it and made the blocks just the background or used sashing, it might help. I shouldn't talk tho, I still have those nasty blocks stuck away never to be touched again (expect maybe to move them to a new further away spot).
Old 05-05-2012, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by jmabby View Post
Can you use it for the back of a quilt, have cheery red, yellow, blues or your favorite colors in the front. I'sure from the ideas you get you will be able to save it. What about teal sashing. If you still don't like it I'm sure someone at a center or church could use it. Good luck
Actually, using it as the BACK of a quilt might not be so "painful". I went through the blocks and found only about 8 that I felt were "quilt worthy". The rest are just so ugly - my biggest mistake was the "made from my own stash Layer Cake" combinations that I put together - they are just not pretty at all. Live and learn. I will not throw them out...​yet...
Old 05-05-2012, 08:21 AM

Don't throw them away - the backing idea is great or use as a charity quilt, because GrannieAnnie is right, your "ick" is someone's "aahhh"!
Old 05-05-2012, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Farm Quilter View Post
Don't throw them away - the backing idea is great or use as a charity quilt, because GrannieAnnie is right, your "ick" is someone's "aahhh"!
My husband was so excited when I began reading all the wonderful ideas for my "salvation". He especially liked the backing idea. "What a great idea! That's perfect".
Old 05-05-2012, 09:03 AM

Sounds like a "guy" quilt to me...perhaps for the local VA hospital?
Old 05-05-2012, 10:51 AM

It sounds like something that my sister would adore!!! She is all about monochromatic and blending in!
Old 05-05-2012, 12:04 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by Sewhappytoquilt View Post
.....Using "just okay" fabrics with other "just okay" fabrics is NOT going to miraculously turn them into something gorgeous.
THIS has got to be the Bon Mots of the month!!

Jan in VA
Old 05-05-2012, 12:22 PM

OMG, before you do anything, Post pics!!!!