Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Let's give some Gold Stars to our LQS/Fab. stores! >

Let's give some Gold Stars to our LQS/Fab. stores!

Let's give some Gold Stars to our LQS/Fab. stores!

Old 07-16-2010, 07:48 PM

Cathey's in Tucson isn't a LQS - but it's a GREAT place to buy sewing machines & sergers and take lessons. I've praised them to the heavens before. Don & Janice Cathey bring in nationally known teachers several times a year to do 'Sit and Sews.' Their staff do MANY classes each week year-round - re sewing & embroidery machines; sewing, embroidery, & serger projects; sewing machine software; probably some things I've left out. If it has to do with sewing, they'll teach you.

In Tucson, Bella is a great LQS. Lots of delicious fabric and classes. I've used their classroom to baste quilt sandwiches. They have an annual birthday sale of everything in the store on the store's birthday in February.

Thimbles in Woodbury, CT is another wonderful LQS AND Pfaff dealer. I live about 40 minutes away, so Donna often solves machine problems over the phone - the ones that are user-error or user-memory problems. She goes to Pfaff convention every year, and he learned how to do machine upkeep and repairs on Pfaffs (and other brands) for customers. She teaches lots of classes, too.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:49 PM

Some one petition the us gov. for American tire money,I know mine are wearing out running to the LQS lol
Old 07-16-2010, 08:15 PM

Just got back from a vacation to MI and stopped at this store- great time and great service!!!!

Originally Posted by OdessaQuilts
It seems lately there have been a few threads where we as quilters/sewers have been complaining of less than stellar service in our LQS or other fabric stores (WalMart, JoAnn, wherever). I am just as guilty as the rest of you in coming here to vent my frustrations, and it saddens me that this is what we have migrated into.

So I thought it might be a good thing to have a spot to give praise for exemplary service we have received. So if you agree, please give the name of the shop/store, its location (city/state), and why the service was good. Also, if you know the first name of the person(s) who gave the good service, let's point them out, too. Everyone deserves a pat on the back now and then, don't you think?

I'll get the ball rolling here:

in Frankenmuth, Michigan, there is a store called the Front Porch Quilt Shop, just behind the main drag. It's owner is Jan H. and I recently was in there looking for some background fabric for a quilt I am wanting to do. I did not have the pattern with me, but found the perfect fabric. When asked how much I needed, I said I didn't know :shock: . The sales gal asked me what pattern I was doing and I told her. The pattern mentioned was not one she was familiar with, but I told her it was on the internet so she went to the computer, looked it up for me and let me take my time to figure out just how much of the fabric I would need (it was a "fat back", so I didn't need as much length of yardage). She gets a GOLD STAR in my book!

Now, does anyone else have a stellar story to pass along? Don't be shy!

Odessa
Old 07-16-2010, 08:16 PM

Guthrie Fabric - Colcord OK !!!!!
Old 07-16-2010, 09:12 PM

Canby Quilts in Canby, Oregon is great - Sandy is her name. Frannie and Laurie at Let's Quilt in Oregon City are also great. They let you brouse and if you need help, the are right there. Just finished the Oregon Shop Hop and visited 21 shops and everyone of them were very friendly, greeted you as you came in. Got lots of ideas and some material and patterns to go along with the material. Everyone seems to have different materials.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:34 PM
Power Poster

Unemployed for 15 months now so I do not have the money for the LQ shops but maybe I should go in pick up a lot of fabric so I could feel real good and then pt it all back. :-P
Old 07-16-2010, 09:37 PM

The Calico House in Placentia/Yorba Linda, Calif. They are always friendly and helpful!!

Tall Mouse in Yorba Linda, Calif. You're the best, Kaye!!!!
Old 07-16-2010, 09:40 PM

I understand your position. I've been unemployed almost a year. I can't attend fabric stores right now but love to go in and browse around. It makes me more determined to complete those works in progress.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by aorlflood
Classic Quilt Shop in Clarksburg, WV, is owned by Janet. She is so kind and helpful! Please stop by and see her shop if you are ever in the area.

The Quilting Bee in Grafton, WV, is owned by Becky. It's a small shop but expanding everytime I go in there! She is also very kind and helpful and I would encourage you to stop in if you are in the area...such as camping at Tygart lake State Park, just outside of Grafton! :)
I've really enjoyed Classic Quilt Shop. I also like to go to Sew Chic in Fairmont. Ever been there? Haven't made it to The Quilting Bee yet.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:46 PM

All the LQS I've visited closest to me (Moundsville, WV, Parkersburg WV, Marietta OH) have wonderful service and friendly employees. I've really never had any problems with attitudes at JoAnn's either, but had to wait over a half hour to get fabric cut today because only 2 were working. But they were as helpful and friendly as can be.