Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Let's Talk Pieced Backings... >

Let's Talk Pieced Backings...

Let's Talk Pieced Backings...

Old 01-24-2011, 04:24 PM

I have seen many reversible quilts made in this manner. They are generally quilted with a stipple pattern so that it enhances both quilts.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:35 PM

I usually piece together some sort of design that will run horizontal on the quilt. I put that down and add a matching color on the top and one on the bottom. It usually turns out just fine and I can use up the 2 or 3 yd pieces.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:54 PM

I just pieced a backing for a California King quilt. Since I also also longarm as a business, I know that most of the seams need to run across the quilt...those that run from top to bottom build up on the rollers and can cause uneven tension on the backing which will result in pleats back there. I used some blocks from the front that I didn't use there, and large pieces of material I had left over...nothing smaller then a fat quarter. When you do piece a backing, use 1/2" seams, press them open and back-stitch on both ends so it stays together. If you are having it quilted by a longarm quilter, it needs to be 8" longer and wider then your quilt top.

I have also done a large star in the center of the backing that replicated the blocks on the front...that one was a pain! Hard to make sure it was centered on the frame to meet the center of the quilt top. But it is now a lovely double-sided quilt!
Old 01-24-2011, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by rivka
For the quilts I've made so far, I've either bought wide backing (108" ), or used one of the fabrics that is in the quilt and just sewn it together to make a piece big enough for the backing.

Having just rapidly grown my stash to sizeable proportions, most of the material that I have now is around 2 yards in size -- that's not going to be enough to make a backing from a single material, as I generally make larger quilts. And I don't want to spend money trying to find an extra large backing that will go with the rest of the quilt. So it sounds like I will need to start piecing backings.

For those of you that piece backings, what do you normally do? It seems like it should be a much simpler pattern than the front, yes? Do you try to match the front of quilt in any way? How intricate do you get with the back?

And for those of you using longarms that have dealt with this, is it difficult to make it so that the backing pattern isn't lopsided or off-kilter (on the frame), either vertically or horizontally? Any tips?

I'm not a long arm quilter, but I have done pieced backings and they can be just as nice as the front. I take the fabric choices that I used on the front. If you have enough to make long stripes,that looks good. If not, then blocks. I have even made the pillow shams reversible,so that way they will match the quilt's front and back. If you use straight stripes or even blocks make sure the quilt doesn't slip while you're quilting. I have made a crazy quilt backing out of the scraps. That way it doesn't matter if it slips while you're quilting it.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:35 PM

I just bought some wide backing for a large applique quilt, something I have not done before. I sometimes use one color backing, sometimes pieced from leftovers from the top and sometimes a totally different color scheme on the back, a summer and winter side(my personal favourite).
Old 01-24-2011, 05:48 PM

I piece most of my backs and the special ones that I make for my grandchildren I'll add their photo (transfer to fabric) and a machine embroidered panel of their name
Old 01-24-2011, 06:28 PM
Banned

When you piece a backing, just make sure to cut off the selvage edges, as that weave is so much tighter than the rest of the fabric, and will make your backing pucker. Press the seam open. As for centering, it is very difficult to get a backing seam to line up absolutely perfectly, due to the give of the fabric, the fact that it is mounted on rollers, the height/weight of batting, quilting from left to right, right to left, etc, or that the quilt itsself may not be pressed perfectly flat or lie perfectly square. And for certain, do NOT put a border on your backing and expect your longarm quilter to line it up perfectly.

I recommend that if you piece your backing, (which adds value to the quilt, according to most quilt appraisors), piece it somewhere in the middle, but not exactly through the center. Add a row of leftover blocks for interest, or a stripe of contrasting fabric. Have the seams lie somewhere that there are not a lot of seams or joints on the front of the quilt. And then, sometimes, just piece it and hope for the best! :)
Old 01-24-2011, 07:27 PM

Is that a badger you have for an avatar?
Old 01-24-2011, 07:40 PM

There are several ways one can piece a quilt lining. I think the back should be pretty also. So lets say my material is too short to use as a lining. Well I just make a cut across the bottom and also across just about 10 inches from the top edge. I piece anything I want,sew it into the cut acriss the upper side(top of lining) and I like to use a row of blocks from the front design also I love adding a row of large Flying Geese. It sure makes my friends turn over one of my quilts to see what I have done this time. Marvel
Old 01-24-2011, 07:49 PM

I just recently completely a small quilt. For the backing, I used leftover squares from a YBR that I came across when I was looking for the fabric for the quilt. Happy coincidence for me and the giftee loved both sides of the quilt. This was a quilt where I tried to use up scraps from pieces of my scrap basket and drawer. Even used leftover pieces of binding that were all the same color. Used leftover piece of fleece for the batting.