Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Let's Talk Pieced Backings... >

Let's Talk Pieced Backings...

Let's Talk Pieced Backings...

Old 01-24-2011, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by dhanke
I do what Bonnie Hunter suggests, I make the backing from 10 inch finished squares. It's easy to calculate how many you need and you can get 4 squares from a width. I try to use fabrics that relate to the front of the quilt, any leftover fabric or extra blocks, but I also try to use up some of those "what was I thinking" fabrics. A bonus is that after you've trimmed up the layered sandwich, you should have strips that are perfect for a pieced binding.
I like this method, too. I quilt on a longarm and haven't had any problems with rolling the pieced backs evenly, but I do try to keep the lengthwise grains of the pieces running the same direction.
Karen in La.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by SharonG
I use a sheet for larger quilt backing.
Ask your long arm quilter first. Not all will accept a sheet for the backing.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:42 PM

I try to use the rest of the fabric that I used for the top and then make a few simple BIG Blocks and scatter them throughout the back. :-D
Old 01-24-2011, 10:25 PM

I normally piece the back, sometimes two pieces or sometimes 3-4 pieces. I also buy the good quality 90" wide muslin and use that also. Of course it depends on who/what the quilt if for.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:23 PM

I piece backings a lot. I try to use the leftover fabric from the front. If it will look too patchy, I use something else that will go with the top. I buy fabric for backing when I see a good sale of a tone on tone. I'll buy 5 yards or more. Then, if the quilt top has greens, I will use a green tone on tone fabric I have purchased on sale. I then piece that so the back looks all alike. I usually do 1/2 inch seams and press them open.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:26 AM

Sometimes I use leftover blocks from the front to put on the back; but, mostly I just piece it.

I always buy extra fabric in case I cut something wrong. I usually have enough left over to piece together a back.

BUT, I don't make up a 'pattern'. I just sew various 'chunks' of fabric together to make the back. I've never had a problem with my LAer quilting it. So what if it's a little cockeyed? What's to say I didn't 'plan' it that way?

Some of my quilt 'backs' are almost as pretty as my 'fronts'. And if I wind up with a little 'paw print' on the quilt after it's just been laundered, I can just flip it over... the quilt police (and Suzie Homemaker) aren't allowed in my bedroom! LOL
Old 01-25-2011, 11:10 AM

Hmmmm ... I'm liking the idea of using a flanel sheet for the back of my really big King. I'll have to measure and see if it would fit.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:19 AM

Forgive me if someone else has already suggested this, I don't have time to read all the posts (isn't it wonderful when you get so many responses?).

I bought this book, and it has some great ideas. Maybe you could find it at the library if you don't want to purchase it.

One really simple, yet cool idea, basically, upsize a block from the front into a super size block for the back.

http://www.amazon.com/Over-Easy-Crea...5982990&sr=1-4
Old 01-25-2011, 02:16 PM

Have an old quilt from my DH family his Mom and Grandmother worked on it. It has a pieced back, they used everything, and I love it.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by grammatjr
Forgive me if someone else has already suggested this, I don't have time to read all the posts (isn't it wonderful when you get so many responses?).

I bought this book, and it has some great ideas. Maybe you could find it at the library if you don't want to purchase it.

One really simple, yet cool idea, basically, upsize a block from the front into a super size block for the back.

http://www.amazon.com/Over-Easy-Crea...5982990&sr=1-4
Thanks for posting this! I just bought it for less than $5.00 from Amazon.com, and that includes shipping!!!