Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: On line quilting classes

I am taking 2 classes! I have a friend that took on line classes and loved them. I figure at the price you cant go wrong.

Blog Entries
    On the FMQ course, in the first or second video, there is a sampler quilt hanging in the background. Did anyone notice that one of the pinwheels was wrong? I know she starts quilting this quilt later in the class, so I hope she fixed this!
    You can have any design you want. As long as it's loops!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I have taken a few via Quilt university! Let me say that while the classes are great, finding the time to commit to them is NOT easy! I never did get to finish my natural dyeing class last summer...life just got FULL way too quick!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JENNR8R View Post
    I took Karen Combs "More Patchwork Illusions" at Quilt University last Spring. It was a good way for me to learn. We would be given a bit of information each week for six weeks. We did homework and "chatted" with other students and the teacher. I liked the results. Attached are a few of the blocks that I made.
    I thought I recognized those blocks/patterns. I took a class with Karen back in 2000! LOVE her stuff..she is just great! YOur blocks are stunning...way to go!

I have been tempted to take the classes by Jenny Doan because I love her tutorials so much. I hate to admit it, but, I don't know how they work. Do you get discs? Are they online? How do you interact with her about them?

Wishing for time to sew!

I've enrolled in several classes through Craftsy... love the classes and their website, which is extremely easy to use. Like someone mentioned above (forgot who!), I only sign up for the classes when they run a sale; I have never paid full-price. It's easy to get yourself on their mailing list so that you receive the special offers when they run. I'm a member of the Quilter's Club of America and get lots of great offers through them also.

For Stitchlady - Yes, the classes are entirely online (you do not get a disc, nor can they be downloaded for offline viewing). They are in "chapters" so you can watch as little or as much as you want at one time. The website remembers where you left off, and it will take you right back there - very nice feature. You can interact with the instructor and other students through a message-board-like setup. There's a place to post pictures of your completed projects also. The Jenny Doan classes are WELL worth the money. She's a pretty awesome teacher!

If you need to know anything else, just post and I'll try to answer.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasSunshine View Post
    I have signed up for the Quilting Quickly classes by Jennie Doan (excellent teacher). I have the first class for beginners, very easy to follow and great info and just bought the Quilting Quickly II because it was only $19.99, half price. I recommend them. Once you buy them you can assess them anytime, no time limit.
    I have signed up and completed both of the Quilting quickly classes by Jennie Doan and felt that both were well worth the money. I can refer to them any time. She uses the pre-cuts and specialty rulers but what you learn you can adapt to your own ideas and supplies. That said, I've ordered one of her templates and some charm packs to make a table runner because it will be so much quicker to make! Have also signed up for the FMQ class by Wendy Butler Burns to give me the confidence to try it on my Janome 6600. That's my challenge for 2012. Am about half way thru that class and have been pleased with the info I've gotten. Also, besides owning the class, you can submit questions and usually get an answer by the next day.

i have thought about it but i am afraid i will sign up and not have the time

I am terrible at taking on line classes ~ Quilting or otherwise. I get too distracted by whats going on around me and end up not following through. I am a hands on person and can go somewhere to take classes all day long. The funny thing is..I like watching You Tube and learning. I think my problem is..I know more than I think I do and get bored with the details..but it is the details that make the classes. I guess for me I need to chance my way of thinking and just slow down. I have seen a few classes on Crafty that sparked an interest. =)
    A bed without a Quilt is like a Sky without Stars..Sew On!

Blog Entries
    With Craftsy, there it is money-back if it's not for you.
    But it looks like the $20 special is over for now
    You can have any design you want. As long as it's loops!

I have signed up for several quilt related classes on Craftsy, and I love them. The first I signed up for was $19.99 and the others were $19.99 with a buy one get one free special during December. I think if you join their web site they will begin to send you information when they run specials. I find the videos well done and I love that I can add my own personal notes (or bookmarks) any time I like during a video. It helps me find a technique I would like to remember.

The Sew-Cal-Gal blog is running a FMQ challenge this year, with an emphasis on improving FMQ. It is not an 'online' class but tutorials. It could be helpful though. Here is the link http://sewcalgal.blogspot.com/p/free...challenge.html

I have bought both of Jenny Doan's on Craftsy for half price and I loved them. Play them over all the time. Made three quilts that she made. I also purchased the Free Motion Quilting class but have not tried it yet. Her price was cheap so I bought it.

I have done the quilting Quickly classes with Jenny . I thought they were well done. I really like the fact that you can access them any time forever.

I have taken the two Jennie Doan classes on Craftsy. I sign up for classes there when they are $19.99. I love the Jennie Doan classes and feel they are well worth the money. I am almost through with the free motion quilting class on Craftsy. I have learned so much from that class already! I have signed up for the paper piecing class; but have not started it yet. Since I have trouble getting to classes at my LQS, these on line classes are perfect for me. I do watch the free quilting YouTube videos; but like the classes on Craftsy better.

FMQ with Craftsy

I've recently purchased this machine quilting class with Wendy Butler Berns and it is very informative, you can also put the video on pause and there is a place to take notes, when you write a point down it marks the time on the video, so if you want to go back and access that part of the instruction later you can. Also, there is a box to ask questions or make comments, you just have to watch when you are taking notes that the Ask a question box hasn't popped up or your note-taking will appear in the question panel! I have to purchase a walking foot, she does some designs with it before you get into the darning foot and FMQ. I'm enjoying it and there is a wealth of information there, plus a glossary of quilting terms. She is demonstrating while she is explaining so you get the visual as well as the auditory instruction. The lessons are in chapters and there is a menu. They also answer the questions in a timely manner and there are other students that can respond to your inquiry too.

I have taken the Free Motion Quilting Course and think that it was a very good investment. I would definitely recommend their courses.
    Mommy of 2 beautiful kitties & 1 adorable husband

What web site are the classes on?
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasSunshine View Post
    I have signed up for the Quilting Quickly classes by Jennie Doan (excellent teacher). I have the first class for beginners, very easy to follow and great info and just bought the Quilting Quickly II because it was only $19.99, half price. I recommend them. Once you buy them you can assess them anytime, no time limit.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the thread. I've thought about taking classes a few years ago, but was afraid to committ due to my crazy schedule. At that time, if you didn't take the class when it was offered you lost out. It's nice to know some sites allow you to keep your class and go to it when you have time. I'll have to check them out again.

I also bought Jenny's 2 courses and the machine quilting. I love them. I also got them on sale.

Thank you for the information about on-line classes. Maybe I will get brave and try one.

Blog Entries
    I have taken 2 classes from Craftsy.com and enjoyed both of them. Easy to follow and you can watch them over and over and over. I paid $29.99 per class and thought it worth the price.
    rvsfan
    A Ricky Van Shelton fan

Quote Originally Posted by knlsmith View Post
    I didn't see the sale price when i looked. Is it over now?
    Yes, I looked and it is gone. I guess it was just a couple of days before Christmas. Anyway, I paid $29.99 and I think it is worth it. So far, so good.

Quote Originally Posted by loreen View Post
    What web site are the classes on?
    They are on Craftsy.com. Now $29.99 per class.

Blog Entries
    Bought Quickly quilting I and II, but have not had time to sit and watch them yet. Bought both as gift to myself for Christmas. Hubby didn't know what to get me so I said I would like to get these and he said "go for it". Love when he agrees with me.
    sew1

I too bought the FMQing and Jennie Doan's classes. I've viewed the classes, but won't get started "learning" until after the first of the year. I like the pace and the structure of the presentations. I also like that I can refer to them as often as I want to and at my own pace. As others have said, it is difficult to comment to the regular schedule of "real" quilting classes. Seems like life always gets in the way. At $19.00 it was worth it to me.
    jean

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast