Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A little early, but what are your New Year's resolutions? >

A little early, but what are your New Year's resolutions?

A little early, but what are your New Year's resolutions?

Old 12-17-2016, 08:52 PM

I usually set goals. THEN type them out and post them on the fridge. It's good to see things crossed off during the year. Some examples of 2017 might be: Get the garage in some sort of order and GET RID of stuff you know you'll never need. Really, how many cookbooks do I need? I rarely use them. VASES: anyone need a vase? My son sends me flowers at least 2-3 a year, sometimes more. (his wife gets them monthly)
This coming year I'm going to attempt to lose 30 lbs by Jun 30th. AND if I haven't lost it by then, I'm going through the "skinny" (west end) end of the closet. I must grasp reality at some point!! LOL
Old 12-17-2016, 09:15 PM

I just listened to podcast that encouraged taking time to reflect on the past year before setting goals for the new one. I need to do that with concentration, and it'll have to really be after Christmas. Good to reflect and see what we did, or didn't do, and how we dealt when reality didn't match our expectations. What was meaningful? What did I learn about others and myself? What would I like to repeat, or do more frequently ? What do I need to take a break from in order to put my energies into something else? Questions like that are ones that help me focus for the new year.
Old 12-18-2016, 07:54 AM

Not an actual resolution but a goal for sure to get my sewing room cleaned and organized. I had started at the beginning of summer with wrapping all my fabrics around comic book boards but then had surgery (4 actually) on my arm and now my room is a shambles. It was all I could do to get through physical therapy and back to work when school started back up. Then of course there were gifts to sew for Christmas. Now that I'm back in the swing of things (and I'm pretty much pain free) I need to get my mess under control. I have fabric literally everywhere and filing oh my (quilt patterns etc). If I can get that accomplished I'll be in great shape!
Old 12-18-2016, 02:22 PM

Well I normally don't make them. I just try to make a few changes, definitely working on the messy part, I already have cut back on the fabric. This year lots of grandkids are getting flannel pj's due to lots of fabric from when I was making rag quilts and they need them so that's a no brainer. I've been really hard trying to not stick to a budget but to not buy as if I could have anything I want. Its been hard, especially when there is a Floriani event in Jan coming up, it'll be the first one that I've missed in years but I did splurge on the EQS event in October. I'm just getting back into garment making and have purchased a small amount of knits for that, but all of it was on sale and I've made a few things so far and will make my daughter skinning leggings for Christmas. The hardest thing is if I tell myself I can't have something then that's when I want it the most. Just like sweets, I can do without but if I tell myself I have to do without, I crave it more. I'll usually go ahead and buy a bag of candy and it'll sit on my counter for a month or two.

My hopes, to get my house in order and declutered (started working on that last month)
......to get my bills paid down so that I don't have to stress so much. The hardest part of this is saying no to the kids or grandkids...but I'm doing it for the most part.
....to get my house fixed...have so many to do list its not funny
....to get back into quilting, sewing, embroidery and other things that I like doing and learn to tell people no more often when that's what I want to say, instead of just saying ok or yes.
Old 12-18-2016, 06:33 PM

I will stop trying to save $ without verifying that a recommended technique will work.

For example, a couple of weeks ago I purchased just enough Warm and White batting that, when sewed to a leftover piece, should have covered the quilt I was about to sandwich/quilt.

While I'd been successful zigzagging some polyester batting together, my attempts to join Warm and White pieces were disastrous. No matter how light my touch, I couldn't seem to avoid uneven bunching from time to time. And I couldn't keep the batting from stretching, creating unacceptably thin spots here and there.

Today I bit the bullet and bought new batting that will not need to be pieced.
Old 12-19-2016, 05:01 PM

That is 30 times more than I did!