Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Log Cabin Center 'hearth' square >

Log Cabin Center 'hearth' square

Log Cabin Center 'hearth' square

Old 01-25-2023, 03:27 AM

So many opinions. Mine is that the reds you have chosen are "black", not brown. The gold is better but kinda bright; however, you have laid out a big piece of it that it may be difficult to see if it will be overpowering or simply complimentary in a finished block.
Old 01-25-2023, 08:40 AM

I'm liking the dark red in the second photo - I'm working with a similar colour palette right now and the red brings some lovely warmth and vivid touches to the overall project, imho.
Old 01-25-2023, 09:35 AM

I think a deep red would work
Old 02-03-2023, 03:28 AM

Do you receive Donna Jordan tutorials? This morning she has a Disappearing Pinwheel. The "red" that I mentioned--take a look at what she has chosen for the outer border on that. That's the "red" that I'd choose for the hearth with your browns! Wondering what you did finally opt to use.
Old 03-23-2023, 11:06 AM

I finally decided on the color of my center Hearth for my Log Cabin. It is called Shadow Play - Apricot Orange for Maywood Studio, it looks oranger in the picture, but it is more of a reddish orange. And for the lights and darks, Breathtaking Brown Batik Solids Jelly Rolls by Kathy Engle for Island Batik (note: the color in the 2.5" strips that looks like it in the picture is actually different, more of a brown shade, so no issues with it being a duplicate color).

Hopefully I'll be able to start it by the end of next month, after I finish up the quilts I'm working on now. I'm making a King Size, with finished blocks being either 14" or if I have enough strips 16".
Attached Thumbnails shadow-play.png   brown-batiks.png   breathtaking-brown-batik-solids-kathy-engle-island-batik.png  

Last edited by quiltsfor; 03-23-2023 at 11:10 AM.
Old 03-23-2023, 01:14 PM

Quiltsfor--I did a beautiful log cabin in mostly browns and brights. For the center hearth I used a fabric with strata of muted sunset colors--the reds, yellows, & oranges that others have already suggested. Even though you didn't include it in the choices you were considering, have you considered peach? Peaches can be light, bright, and/or soft and lend themselves to your color palette for your LCQ. Post pictures!

PS--Oops, I just saw your posting saying you have decided on a color for your LC hearths. Lovely.

Last edited by frannella; 03-23-2023 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-23-2023, 05:34 PM

I like the combination in the second picture. It’s going to be beautiful! I am partial to log cabins though 😊. Can’t wait to see it done!
Old 03-24-2023, 06:33 AM

I love the colors you have used in your LC, Is this a courthouse steps pattern? I would like to make with this design.
Old 03-24-2023, 03:46 PM
Power Poster

I just finished a LC quilt. I used a pretty print and off white in the center. I didn't want a traditional looking one. I have flower prints and various solid colors and lots of off white. My point was to use up small leftover pieces of fabrics.
Old 03-24-2023, 04:17 PM

I'll be making a traditional log cabin. I'm just wondering/thinking about how to quilt it, as in what design. FMQ or ??