Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Log Cabin Christmas Trees?

I used to drive for over 45 minutes to get to the only quilt shop close to me. That stopped because the owner was moody and a grump too. Who needs the attitude when her prices are already much higher than sources online???? That's part of the reason why small quilt shops don't survive, I believe. Attitude and high prices.
    Karen in Kentucky

I have only had one bad experience with a store. I was given an old Viking computerized sewing machine. So I took it to the nearest dealer to ask for help on how to use it. They never had time for me. They had time to try to sew me a new one but no help on the old one. There's another LQS nearby that her business has increased so much she had to move to a new building with lots more space. She and her staff are so helpful and I have bought several machines from her. The only difference is that she will charge for classes on how to use a machine if you did not buy from her. If you buy from her the classes (just the "how to" on machine usages) are free. When I bought my serger there, half the people in the class had machines they bought somewhere else and we were treated all the same. Now that's customer service!

The book is called "Quilt in a Day, Bears in the Woods Quilt" and was designed by Sue Bouchard for Eleanor Burns. The first printing was in October 1997. The quilt has a log cabin star in the middle, trees all around with Bear Paw block in each corner and the whole quilt is surrounded with flying geese. Message me if you can't find it.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    This is the link above ... corrected
    http://www.amazon.com/Log-Cabin-Chri.../dp/0922705291

Is this the one you are looking for?

However, you mentioned trees, so I am wondering if there were several of these in the quilt? or if it is something else?

Perhaps if you were to say where you saw the quilt others from that locale might know the specific pattern. (city and/or state/province/etc. if you don't want to say the LQS name)
    If the above link shows the tree wanted, the pattern is very simple.
    First row----------a solid white log cabin, two green/white log cabins and one more solid white.
    Second row-----------1/2 of a solid white log cabin (would have to be cut a bit more than half to allow for extra seam), green/white log cabin, a solid green log cabin, green/white log cabin and another 1/2+ solid white log cabin (can't be the leftover of the first one, since it needs to be a bit more)
    Third row---------green/white log, 2 solid green logs, green/white log.
    Fourth row--- solid white log, 2 green/white logs, solid white log.

And you could always continue that pattern, increasing each row one block and make a bigger one. the last base might just add more whites to either end.

If you find a small green print with small red and yellow patterns, you'd have your tree decorated. Decide the approximate size the wall hanging should be and then make each block about a 1/4 that size.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Blog Entries
    I love my LQS. I take classes there but haven't bought a lot of fabric there. I plan to buy there but just been busy with embroidery and garment sewing. The owner and employees are wonderful, very helpful, knowledgeable and down right sweet people. Shop is in Columbus, GA sew if this way, check them out... sewmuchfunincolumbus on Veterans Parkway....I am not getting paid to brag on them...
    Abiding in the Vine

"maybe if I wait another year they won't remember me." Wear a wig or hat next time if you have to go back beore a year and don't take notes, just make phone calls (but really take pics with your phone). LOL Take care.

Both patterns are really neat. So sorry about your LQS person. What a shame to act like that and drive customers away!

Quote Originally Posted by AlienQuilter View Post
    I have only had one bad experience with a store. I was given an old Viking computerized sewing machine. So I took it to the nearest dealer to ask for help on how to use it. They never had time for me. They had time to try to sew me a new one but no help on the old one. There's another LQS nearby that her business has increased so much she had to move to a new building with lots more space. She and her staff are so helpful and I have bought several machines from her. The only difference is that she will charge for classes on how to use a machine if you did not buy from her. If you buy from her the classes (just the "how to" on machine usages) are free. When I bought my serger there, half the people in the class had machines they bought somewhere else and we were treated all the same. Now that's customer service!

And she'll still be in business 10 years from now, the one won't.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

I Googled Eleanorburns.com and they have a lot of information about their books and such. I think you will find it there or call the 800 number.

I would not give my business to anyone who treated me like that.

That is so sad that the shop owner was so disinterested. I think she needs a course in dealing with people. I, personally, have no tolerance for that. I just take my business elsewhere.
    Alma
    Nami to 6

I wouldn't shop there either!
    Grandma of 5 beautiful grand kids, 4 crazy cats & 1 dog!

Well like they say...attitude is everything!! If I get a bad attitude from a shop or store, I usually never go back. We have so many choices and that includes online. Our local quilt shop in Armstrong B.C. Is a great shop. If you ladies ever come up north it's worth a visit. She'll even put the coffee on!

Blog Entries
    Name:  IMG_20121225_091025.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  1.61 MB
    Quote Originally Posted by elseebee View Post
    Just before Christmas I was in a LQS when I spotted a beautiful log cabin quiltitanging on the wall. It had little Christmas trees on it and I thought it was gorgeous. I asked the store owner what it was and if she had the pattern for me to buy. She got all pouty (her usual mode- why I don't shop there often)and said it was from an Eleanor Burns book which she'd sold out of and that she was mad because everyone bought the pattern but didn't sign up for the class! She walked off and wouldn't give me any more help. (See why I don't like to shop there?)

Does anyone have any idea of what this pattern might be or even if it is by Eleanor Burns? I figured y'all would be much more helpful than the shop witch!
    I obviously like Log Cabin Christmas trees also. I made this a couple years ago and can't wait to hang it at Christmas time. AND I am making a commitment to get it down tomorrow....LOL...all the other decorations have been put away for a couple weeks.Name:  IMG_20121225_091025.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  1.61 MB
    Last edited by PghPat; 01-14-2013 at 08:27 PM. Reason: picture problem

Blog Entries
    Sorry I am having problems getting this picture posted.

Quote Originally Posted by nygal View Post
    The log cabin trees are easy to make. I made many of them about 25 yrs. ago and gave them as gifts. They were a big hit. I hope you find the pattern you want. Some are so easy you don't even need a pattern. Can just tell by the picture what to do.
    I noticed that too. Am definitely going to try it. My goal is to make every different tree pattern I can find, because I love trees and Christmas. I also would like to make every wreath I can find. Wonder if it will ever happen.
    Kitsy

Senior Member quilting in my60s's Avatar
    The pattern is on Eleanor's Quilt in a Day website for $6.95. Don't know why it is so expensive on Amazon-$50 give me a break!!
    quilting with my dogs

Quote Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
    Okay, I wouldn't shop there EVER!!! This shop would never see me or my debit card ever again!!!
    I agree with you, I would not shop at any store that had an attitude like that!

Quote Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
    That's it, Prism99! Thanks!

Oh, my, I posted this question and then got so busy working on a quilt for a baby that's due in a couple of weeks, I forgot to follow this thread! I sooooo appreciate all the good information and links all of you sent! I'm ordering the Eleanor Burns book and making a note to add the other patterns to my files.

As for the quilt shop I mentioned, she gets little of my business. She has a BIG store and it seems to be very successful. I bought my machines from her, but got turned off as a new, learning quilter when I asked about a fabric I'd seen on-line and she said she NEVER carried MODA. When I said I thought everyone did, she sniffed and said, "THAT'S why I don't!" My problem is she is the closest LQS (an hour away). I live in a rural area in the mountains and getting to any kind of store is a day-long trip and sometimes impossible in the winter months. But I have several other little shops that I support with my business when I do get near the towns where they are located. Since I left city living behind when I retired, I've learned that living in the country is wonderful, but my shopping these days is a lot on-line from necessity.

Blog Entries
    This the reason, some, not all, LQS closed due to lack of good service? They have an attitude, that is very bad, they shouldn't be working in Public Places. Owners and sales Persons no manners! They won't give suggestions and colors, techniques, whatsoever, so my Dear Quilters be patience, always think there's OTHER STORE in these World.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2