Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Log Cabin Trim Tool Two

Log Cabin Trim Tool Two

I am in no way affiliated with the company that makes this ruler. I just ordered it Sunday from Amazon using my points and it only cost me $2.70. It seems to be a very well made ruler and I can't wait to make a large log cabin quilt. I have made 3 or 4 of them without this ruler and had trouble with my blocks always coming out the same size. This should solve the problem. Anyone have this ruler? Does it do what they say it will?. Thanks.

Blog Entries
    I don't have this tool. It looks like it would work. However, I have found that no matter what I do, how careful I am, I can not make a log cabin block come out straight and square. I have found the best way for me to make a log cabin block is to paper piece it. Perfect everytime!! Same with a courthouse step block.
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Blog Entries
    I am not a tool collector, but this one does look useful.
    http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Grids.../dp/B0096Q8WWM

I wanted this ruler and looked for it at Houston Quilt Festival but couldn't find it. Guess I have to order it. I want to think a couple of peeps have this ruler and love it. I tried a log cabin but was annoyed that the blocks didn't seem to come out straight.Maybe because I was a beginner at the time. I didn't try another, since there are so many patterns out there that I have no problems with. Not being a fan of PP (yes I am going to do NYB) I didn't want to go that way.Keep us updated and let us know how you like it please.

Blog Entries
    If I press each seam after I sew it and not all at one time the log cabin block stays square.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
    I have found the best way for me to make a log cabin block is to paper piece it. Perfect everytime!! Same with a courthouse step block.
    Ditto, and add a pineapple block to the list!

How on earth did you get it for $2.70? 8)

To have your blocks come out the same size, I use a 6 or 8 inch square ruler to block at each step and it really makes blocks more accurate. I did this with my irish chain and my lovers knot and the points matched up great. Its a lot more work, but the finished product is nice and you have to not worry as much that your quilt is really not square. It really helps if you have a few wonky stips
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

If it's the Creative Grids ruler it's great. Your blocks will be perfect and there's no need to measure your strips before you sew them.

Are you guys kidding me? I really don't think you need to spend money on this ruler. If you cut your strips all the same size and use a 1/4" seam, you should not have any problems. I always iron each log as I go. I have made several log cabins, they were so easy and all came out just right. If you have problems with the sizes not matching, I have suggestion. Make the last logs a little bit larger than the other strips and then you square them up. You would have a little extra to play with. I would never even suggest to paper piece a log cabin, totally unnecessary. You would then have all that paper to rip out. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by smanry View Post
    How on earth did you get it for $2.70? 8)
    I paid with my Amazon points.

Quote Originally Posted by Coverdude View Post
    If it's the Creative Grids ruler it's great. Your blocks will be perfect and there's no need to measure your strips before you sew them.
    That's what I was thinking and that's why I ordered it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Donnamarie View Post
    I would never even suggest to paper piece a log cabin, totally unnecessary. You would then have all that paper to rip out.
    Well, I HAVE paper pieced a pineapple (which is very similar to a log cabin, just more pieces), and it was MUCH easier than squaring up after every single dang row. Geez, that sounds like so much extra work! And I never had to rip anything, because I don't sew through the paper.

Name:  pineapple1.jpg
Views: 908
Size:  160.3 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

I love this ruler! I hated doing Log Cabin blocks until I got it.

Good luck with your new ruler. Peckish your quilt is beautiful.
    I don't want to brag but I can still fit into the earrings I wore in high school.

Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
    Well, I HAVE paper pieced a pineapple (which is very similar to a log cabin, just more pieces), and it was MUCH easier than squaring up after every single dang row. Geez, that sounds like so much extra work! And I never had to rip anything, because I don't sew through the paper.

That is an absolutely beautiful quilt. I can certainly see why you paper pieced it. It is stunning.

That is one beautiful pineapple, Peckish

Your quilt is gorgeous. I've tried paper piecing and liked my blocks, but it would be much easier not to have to sew thru the paper - how do you do it?

Beautiful pineapple quilt. I just bought a pineapple quilt book. It wants a "pineapple ruler." The ruler looks very complicated.

Carol

Karen, I ordered this ruler and have to say how much I love it. It has made making the log cabin block a breeze! Just be sure to look at the website and follow the 'oh-so-easy' tutorial. You will master it in moments and love the results. I paid about $15 including shipping for mine and I'd do it again for such great results!

I was in Houston last week & took a class w/the designer, Jean Ann Wright, using her Log Cabin Trim Tool for 8" finished blocks. Is easy to use & worked very well. Will also do half log cabin blocks & court house steps blocks. I like the fact that strips do not have to be cut to exact width or length making it easy to use up my scraps. Would recommend if you're a "gadget girl" or "ruler girl" like I am. Good luck & enjoy.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dart1 View Post
    it would be much easier not to have to sew thru the paper - how do you do it?
    First of all, I use vellum, which is fairly see-through. I use a dab of a glue stick to stick the very first scrap to the vellum. I fold the vellum on the seam line (this is where the see-through part comes in handy) and stitch right next to the fold, instead of on the paper. When I'm done stitching the block and it's trimmed to size, the only thing I have to do is pull that glued scrap off of the paper and the entire block is free.

Thanks for all the responses to my thread. I can't wait to make a log cabin quilt with my new ruler. I have yet to meet a ruler I don't like.

Ditto, and add a pineapple block to the list!

me too! I love the pp pineapples!

Quote Originally Posted by KathyJ View Post
    I was in Houston last week & took a class w/the designer, Jean Ann Wright, using her Log Cabin Trim Tool for 8" finished blocks. Is easy to use & worked very well. Will also do half log cabin blocks & court house steps blocks. I like the fact that strips do not have to be cut to exact width or length making it easy to use up my scraps. Would recommend if you're a "gadget girl" or "ruler girl" like I am. Good luck & enjoy.
    I almost got the 8" one but I thought the 12" one would be more versatile.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast