Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Long arm prices too high??? >

Long arm prices too high???

Long arm prices too high???

Old 12-03-2010, 06:10 AM

WOW! Those are the lowest prices I've seen!
Old 12-03-2010, 06:19 AM

Those are fabulous prices. Wish I could find them in my area.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by stewyscrewy
if they are true menonites then they dont use a longarm. they use hand power only. nothign electrical.
No, it's the Amish that don't use electricity. I am Mennonite and we use electricity.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:57 AM

I just paid $189 to have a king size quilted on a long-arm. The prices you listed are amazingly low.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:08 AM

I've worked with the Amish and the kids do some of the work and the father gets all of their income until they are 21 or married and grow the beard or until the girls are married off. This is how some undercut prices. Kind of like indentured labor of the old days. Most try to get the local prices for things as we depend on each other to make our livings. Some areas get more and some less depending what you want and the area demographics. Around here the standard is about 1.5 cents per square inch for an overall pattern with a minimum of $40.00. We include all charges in that price as many charge for thread, mounting, turning the quilt,ironing etc. We feel that when we quote a price that it what it should be--not a bunch of hidden add ons that some do.I always offer discounts for referrals, 2nd quilts, etc and I guarantee my work. I use Superior thread and other name brand quality materials. I also sponsor and support several youth projects, Alzheimers, cancer fund, Quilts of Valor, and charity quilts. There are many requirements that we have to meet that increase our overhead and the various groups do not have to meet, insurance, licenses, some taxes, minimum wage, etc..., too. I'm not saying the quality is any better or not, but the business environments are not equal and the community participation is not there. Just some things to think about.I have modern equipment and do custom hand guided work of show quality and I am also computer equipped offering a wide spectrum of options for your work love and art.---Dave B.

P.S. Using electricity depends on the elders of the sect and it usually is o.k. if it is produced on the property and not from a local utility. I know the skill saws and cut off saws I used with the Amish ,(their tools too), were not hand powered.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:12 AM

The only thing out of line about those prices is that are TOO LOW! If they do good work, you are very lucky!
Old 12-03-2010, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose
Do they do mail order? Those prices are a lot less than anyone here charges in Northern Lower Michigan. I haven't checked the Amish. I'll have my daughter check. I was in an Amish home recently. A beautiful new house with a huge sunny sewing room with three new, very modern machines. I didn't want to appear to be nosy, so I didn't look too closely, but I think they may have been converted to treadle.
My LAQ is in AuGres, Mi and her prices are about the same as was mentioned in original post. Custom is a little higher b/c it's by the square inch. She does mail order. www.danielsmachinequilting.com check it out.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Momof3Es
My local (30 mins away) quilt shop is owned by Menonites (can't spell that word to save my hinee) and I was just wondering if their prices were out of line?? Here they are...
Crib 45x60 $32.
Twin 72x90 $53.
Full 81x96 $58.
Queen 90x108 $69.
King 108x120 $86
I haven't checked around anywhere else. Mind you I live in west central WI in a small town.
Very comparable to here in KY where I live.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:40 AM

Very gooood! But ask to see a sample of their work! At that price maybe the quality is not so great. 8-)
Old 12-03-2010, 07:40 AM

here in south MS quilters get 1.5 cents per square inch, making some queen size quilts $150.00 to quilt. I charge $70 but I stipple and don't do fancy quilting....