Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Long Arm Quilters

Blog Entries

Long Arm Quilters

Since you have probably done both. Do you find it is easier steering your machine to FMQ quilt on a long arm or steering your fabric on a regular machine
    Patrice

Blog Entries
    i find it much easier to steer the machine. personally, i'm not very good at moving the fabric. and my hands and arms get tired trying to move the fabric. the downside of moving the machine is that the setup takes up soooo much room!
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Blog Entries
    Good question, as for me they are definately two different motions. I am better moving the machine. It's more like writing/drawing with a pencil.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

I find it much easier to steer the machine with the exception of Stitch in the Ditch. SID is easier on my domestic machine.

machine. you still have to practice like crazy for both. Now, I don't have one of those sit down 'long arm' models I used to try on domestic sewing machine. So if your asking that sorry

For me MUCH easier to steer the machine. Straight line quilting is easier on a domestic though, especially all over crosshatch grid.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    i find it much easier to steer the machine. personally, i'm not very good at moving the fabric. and my hands and arms get tired trying to move the fabric. the downside of moving the machine is that the setup takes up soooo much room!
    Ditto for me. It's also very tiring to try and shove anything larger than a crib size through the throat of a domestic machine--even the larger ones. I bought a frame & 9" throat machine after quilting 2 baby quilts & a throw size using the sit & quilt method. My shoulders just couldn't take it.
    Beverly

think of the fabric as paper and the machine needle as a pencil. I find it much easier to move the pencil. For straight lines, like SITD, I simply use a LA ruler and have no problem. Both DSM and LA take practice as there is a learning curve for each. I have the HQ16 and can do a relatively simple quilting pattern, even on a large quilt, in well under a day. Used to take much longer on the DSM and an added perk is I have no pain in the neck/shoulders at the end.

The difficulty with steering the fabric on the DSM was the bulk of the large quilt. If I was doing a very small piece, I could steer the fabric okay. The things I like so much more about the longarm - not having to pin or spray the fabric sandwich. Better visibility of the whole design. With my Innova, the ability to stitch through the heaviest intersections. The machine stitches at a much faster rate than the DSM. I have absolutely no shoulder or back problems from wrestling with a heavy quilt. And in the summer it's so much cooler than sitting at the DSM with mountains of quilt falling onto my lap.

Edited to say that after some practice with rulers I now think that SITD is also easier with the longarm than with the DSM.

Red face

My arms and shoulders could never take working with a domestic. I even graduated to computerizing the longarm with Intelliquilter just to protect my body so I can quilt for more years. I love it!
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

I definitely find moving the machine a lot easier, especially on the bigger quilts. Just like anything new, it does take practice.

Quote Originally Posted by wvhill22 View Post
    Since you have probably done both. Do you find it is easier steering your machine to FMQ quilt on a long arm or steering your fabric on a regular machine
    I steer my fabric. I use Machingers gloves, they help a lot.

Blog Entries
    Thank you ladies. I knew it would be easier on a longarm..It sure looks it anyway..I am almost done with a king size on my DSM and it will NEVER happen again..I even did it in three sections..I really want a long arm with a stitch regulator
    Patrice

For me the longarm is much easier. I have quilted a couple queens size quilts with my domestic machine and found it very difficult to move the fabric around under the machine arm.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Without question the machine is easier to move. Yes, it does take up a lot of room but is so worth it, if you have the space and money for one. I the Side Saddle computer system with my longarm which makes it even easier. If do find that I often mix the freemotion quilting with the computer designs depending on the quilt pattern. I even do the small wall hangings on the LA. Small pot holders, mug rugs etc I do simple lines on the domestic.

QuiltingGrannie

Moving the machine is much easier.

Longarming, beyond a shadow of a doubt for me....much, much easier!
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

Blog Entries
    Oh yes, it's so much easier moving the machine (and so much faster) than trying to move the quilt.

Especially if you have hand issues, the long arm is easier. I tried a sit down long arm in which you moved the fabric and that just wouldn't work for me as I have RA. Pinning is hard on my hands so I use red snappers to load a quilt on the long arm and that is quick and easy.
    The Potomac Quilter
    Innova 26 with Lightning Stitch and Autopilot

I'm so glad you asked this question! I'm really wanting a new machine and the 3 that caught my eye (and fit my budget) are the HQ Sweet 16 (which you move the fabric), the Juki TL2000 on the Grace frame, and the Bailey's Home Quilting machine. Of those 3, does anyone have an opinion? I think I would do much better moving the machine. My mom and I are going to the NQA show in Columbus this week, so I plan on doing some test drives (though I don't think anyone on my list other than HandiQuilter is going to be there).

Small quilts I just use my regular machine, for bigger projects I use my mid arm. Although If I am just doing stitch in the ditch it is faster to just use my regular machine and roll it up as I go
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever