Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
long arm quilting machines >

long arm quilting machines

long arm quilting machines

Old 12-01-2015, 05:28 PM

I have a Artistic dx 26 inch with a Gracie freedom frame. I’ve been quilting for other people for about 5 years now. This year I added a robot and it took me about a week to learn it and get comfortable with it. My machine is built by tin lizzie, which is pretty common. Its not a Gammill but I didn’t have to take out a small loan to purchase is either. The stitch regulator is good and the touch screen is adequate. I will be purchasing the upgrade when it comes out. My advice is to buy from a somewhat local dealer who is willing to teach you. Unless you are good at teaching yourself and are motivated to figure whatever you need out. I’m completely self taught but it takes time. Don’t buy at a quilt show. You never know what kind of support you are going to get and when you have a problem with the machine, and believe me you will, you’ll have to ship it. Plus supporting the local guys is how we keep quilt shops open.
Old 12-01-2015, 05:48 PM

I agree, check it out. I have the Innova and love love love it. So check them out as well
Old 12-03-2015, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Jratcliff View Post
I got a Pfaff Powerquilter over a year ago (sit down quilter) and absolutely love it, but I've been experiencing long arm envy for quite some time. I've started looking at machines and it has been confusing my decision. I realize I should probably just go in somewhere and try out machines, but for now I don't have that luxury. The last quilt expo I attended only had HQ. I am wondering if it's somewhat the same with long arms as it is for sit downs, that the machines are all basically the same.
No--they are not all alike. Even within each company, most offer several different model
Old 12-04-2015, 02:28 AM

I think both are fantastic machines. In the long run I'm sort of partial to the APQS machines because I have one and love it...but I was a breath away from buying an Avante for my first machine...and who's to say I never will? I wouldn't mind having a second machine some day.
Old 12-04-2015, 03:46 AM

After a lot of trials and sewing, I bought a 20" Nolting Pro. I did not add robotics because I consider quilting an extension of my drawing with a pencil. It is able to have Intelliquilter installed. I love the Nolting because it is is US made, the support is fabulous, it is built like a tank, it is incredibly smooth, easy to maintain and sews amazingly. I did try just about every machine out there. Totally satisfied. My regular machines are vintage Singers and the Nolting stitch quality is equal to those fabulous straight stitch only Singers.
Old 12-04-2015, 03:59 PM

I chose an Innova after learning to LA on an unregulated Nolting and then renting time on the Nolting and then an unregulated Gammill (at my then LQS). When we moved, I couldn't find a place to rent a machine and we now had room for a LA, so I started shopping.

I tried the HandiQuilter, Tin Lizzie, and some other brands. I was referred to the Innova dealer by the then president of the new guild I joined and fell in love with the Innova. It is so low maintenance (I can do most of it myself) and lighter than most of the other brands. It is made in Texas. They have 24/7 tech support and it is pretty easy to upgrade and make additions to it.

However, as others have said, shop around and try the different machines yourself, because not everyone likes the same machine. Also, once you decide, check for deals (sometimes there are special package deals) and also look for demos and used machines, such as trade-ins.