Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
long arm quilting machines >

long arm quilting machines

long arm quilting machines

Old 10-15-2015, 05:34 AM

Default long arm quilting machines

Good Morning All,
I am looking to upgrade to a bigger long arm. I have my eye on a handi quilter Avante or the APQS Lucey.
I want robotics with the machine but was wondering if anyone has either and their comments on the machines.
Old 10-15-2015, 06:07 AM
Power Poster

Like any machine, try to get to a large quilt show where you can test drive all three machines. This is a large investment and you want to get it right. Good Luck.
Old 10-15-2015, 07:52 AM

I have a very old HQ16 an love it. My dream machine is the Avante.
Old 10-15-2015, 08:16 AM

I bought the HQ fusion 2 months ago and loveeeeeee it, I got the 12 ft gallery frame, it's user friendly (I had never used a long arm before) and I had no issues getting it set up and running. I was going to get the Avante and decided that I would spend a few extra dollars now rather than wishing I had got a bigger machine down the road. Do your research, see if you can try them out. I was not able to get to a show to try them all out but still thrilled with what I got.
As far as robotics I opted to not get them as I prefer to become proficient at freehand designs, it seems one would spend just as much time programming the robotics as one would actually quilting, but if you do get the robotics I would love to hear your thoughts on it.
Old 10-15-2015, 10:04 AM

I started small years ago with a Viking MegaQuilter 9", added PCQ robotics which was a waste of my time and money to me. Tried a friend's system and at the time she had moved over to a stretched Juki 18" with a retrofitted PCQ/MQR. Once I tried her system I went home and ordered one of each for myself. Finally got my Juki about a year after I put my name on the list which was fine by me as I was in the process of selling my home and moving to another state. Everything worked perfectly for me and once I got all moved in, etc. I installed the retrofitted MQR to the PCQ carriage. Then I went to my 1st quilt show and one of the ladies mentioned the machine she had, an Innova but she was using the same MQR robotics I had but the upgraded version. Fell in love with the Innova. Went home with stars in my eyes for a new machine in the near future. Mother was living with me at the time and wanted her quilt finished sooner more so than later so she sprung for the new machine plus upgraded robotics. How lucky could I get and yes, her quilt was the 1st one off the new system. Only fair........right? Anyway, I have the APQS right in my very town and I checked on their machines, compared them with the Innova and between price, options and customer service I chose the Innova over the APQS. Doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the APQS but once I tried my hand on the Innova it just felt right for me. Also, the MQR can be built to fit most any quilt machine so that was another added point for my side. I know this robotics works on an APQS as they have/had one at there shop when I went down to have mine upgraded and get some added lessons on it. Plus the price of MQR is for the most part about half of what you'd pay for some of the other robotic systems out there. Of course there are always some pros and cons to adding a 3rd party robotics system but you'd have to weight them for yourself. I chose to stick with the MQR as I already knew how to run it and the price for upgrading was perfect for me. It also comes with the ProQ Designer program to help with laying out your patterns, editing the patterns as well as some digitizing new patterns. If you already have this program, they normally discount the price of the program when ordering the robotics.

Best advice you'll receive from most of those with machines is to go try them all out and find which one feels right for you and also has all the options you want on the machine plus of course the most important part is what is their customer service like.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:21 AM

I got a Pfaff Powerquilter over a year ago (sit down quilter) and absolutely love it, but I've been experiencing long arm envy for quite some time. I've started looking at machines and it has been confusing my decision. I realize I should probably just go in somewhere and try out machines, but for now I don't have that luxury. The last quilt expo I attended only had HQ. I am wondering if it's somewhat the same with long arms as it is for sit downs, that the machines are all basically the same.
Old 11-27-2015, 11:59 AM

THis fall I went to a Quilt Sew Craft Expo in Portland, OR. Jack Boersma has a gret family shop, and I have seen him at several show in the region. He sells Innova's, and I am IN. Can't wait for the room to be cleared and then I can paint and install flooring for my new baby.
Old 11-27-2015, 12:02 PM

What machine do you have, Nettie?
Old 11-27-2015, 01:05 PM
Power Poster

I've had an HQ16 for several years, and I love it! When I bought it, the monthly special was that a 12' table was free. So do ask about specials the various companies may have...perhaps after you've taken the machine(s) for a test drive.
Old 11-28-2015, 01:47 PM

I have the Avante with the ProStitcher and love it! I've found it very easy to use. Was worried about the tension thing but that's been very easy to handle.