Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Long Arm quilting needles >

Long Arm quilting needles

Long Arm quilting needles

Old 08-31-2017, 10:03 PM

Default Long Arm quilting needles

I use Groz-Beckett quilting needles and my size #16's are all the gold, titanium ones (ran out of the plain ones) and really think they are the reason that I keep getting skipped stitches. And I also find that with the gold needles I've had needles break while quilting. I know they are suppose to be "better" but I don't like them--they seem to be stiffer than the plain needles and with FMQ just don't flex enough.

Anyone else find this to be true? I wasn't having skipped stitches when I used the plain ones or the plain #18 needles. And wouldn't you know it--I have a bunch of those gold ones! Wonder if a store would trade me?
Old 09-01-2017, 04:41 AM

Sorry I can't help you. I have only used the plain needles in my Gammill. I was encouraged to switch to the Groz-Beckett, but resisted and kept with my plain ones. I have never had a problem with the plain (Singer M4 and M4.5) purchased from Gammill's in West Plains, MO
Old 09-01-2017, 05:06 AM

I've been using Superior titanium-coated needles in my Q20 and they're working great, but it takes standard sewing-machine size needles so not sure how well that relates to the larger needles most LA's use.
Old 09-01-2017, 05:21 AM

Probably not, but I use the Groz-Beckett size 18 needles & I bought a pack of 100 a year or so ago & still have more than 80 new needles. I live in Missouri & if you'd like to trade I'll send you 50 or however many titanium ones you'd like to get rid of just to try them in my Queen Quilter, I just had it serviced so I will know pretty quick if the needles break. How about a trade? If so pm me.
Old 09-01-2017, 09:00 AM
Power Poster

There are pros and cons to using titanium coated needles. Here is a link to an interesting thread about them:
http://forum.apqs.com/topic/39609-ne...e-or-titanium/

I do think whether they work well or not for someone depends on the particular machine setup and user. Skipped stitches are usually a timing issue. It may be that the titanium needles change your machine's timing just enough to get skipped stitched.
Old 09-01-2017, 10:23 AM

I was taught to mainly use a #18 needle on the longarm, although I've used smaller and larger without problems too. Maybe with the titanium needles there's just enough difference to cause the skipped stitches even though you've been sewing with a #16. Here's a link to a question and answer about skipped stitches on the Superior website: http://www.superiorthreads.com/educa...pped-stitches/. They seem to say needle size could be the problem.
Hope this helps.
Old 09-01-2017, 11:11 AM

often skipped stitches can be from the needle hole being a bit off from the hook. You may find with those needles, you need to put the needle in so it's not quite straight forward. It is one of the things recommended for skipped stitches. I don't recall which way to go, one is for shredded thread, the other for skipped stitches. Sometimes you need to do the because of the fabric being quilted too.

I will switch needle size as soon as I have problems. My friend that quilts professionally says she uses mostly 18 and 20 because she's less lightly to have problems no matter what type of backing got sent with the quilt. She says she has to use heavier needles with flannel too. It's likely I won't do as many quilts on the LA in my lifetime than she does in a year.
Old 09-02-2017, 06:15 PM

well--dang---after getting the regular needles I was still having the skipping issues, ditto with #18--so broke down and called Gammill Rep and he wasn't able to help that much--suggested it may be either encoder issues or timing. So I drug out the computer for the YouTube video on timing, watched it at least a dozen times, got the timing tool out and timed it--took a while cause this is first for me. STILL skipping. and to time you have to have needle bar height right so that's not it either. So then started with encoders. Someone on Gammill FB site suggested trying with manual instead of stitch regulator AND that worked fine--so must be encoders for SR. of course it's labor Day weekend and the regular tech may/may not be available. I'm totally bummed--any Gammill owners have an idea for me to try??
Old 09-06-2017, 07:10 AM

I agree with you on the titanium needles. I don't care for them. I've had a couple break and the way they shatter make me worry about pieces ending up in my machine. I use the Groz-Beckett.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by lfletcher View Post
I agree with you on the titanium needles. I don't care for them. I've had a couple break and the way they shatter make me worry about pieces ending up in my machine. I use the Groz-Beckett.
This is the reason I won't use titanium needles in any of my machines.

Cari